Help me diagnose my turn signal/electrical problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me diagnose my turn signal/electrical problem?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
larrivee7
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Help me diagnose my turn signal/electrical problem?

I've searched through several threads, but never seen this exact issue. I might have a combination of things to fix, but here's the rundown:

- With left turn signal on, front and side markers flash correctly but BOTH left and right flash in the back (like hazard lights)

- If the brake is applied, there is no blinking whatsoever and the left arrow is constantly illuminated on the instrument panel. This is intermittent though, as sometimes the brake can be held and the flashing seems normal (although it is still both flashing in the back as described).

- If I barely pull down on the turn signal lever/switch (not to the point of engaging the turn signal), the front turn signal is illuminated (constantly, no flashing) and stays there until I push up on the switch.

- The right signal works just fine without issue.

So what do the electrical veterans say? Fuses? Switch? Both? I haven't had time to investigate much yet, but I thought maybe someone had gone through the same thing before and could give me a hint at where to start based on the symptoms. Thanks guys.

larrivee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Switch. I'll find the switch diagnostics for you to check it against and edit this post.

Edit: here it is from a post I made a couple of days ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
...The turn signal multi function switch can be checked for continuity between the contacts using the diagnosis section in the FSM. Follow the link in my sig if you don't have one. Go to TJ-99-turn signal and hazard warning system. Page 5.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
larrivee7
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^ Thank you for the reply and the link. I'll have to look into this. Any idea how much of an undertaking it is to install a new switch?
larrivee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

10-15 minute job.

Swap is the same for the XJ here's a link to a write up...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...-97-xj-620147/

To get the shroud off you need to remove the ignition barrel. In the first picture you can see a fourth hole in the lower shroud, which is the access for the ignition barrel release button. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position, push a screwdriver up into that hole and push the button so you can remove the barrel with the key in it. To refit the barrel just push it back in and it will latch in place.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
blinker , electrical issue , turn signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.