Help! Low and now High Oil Pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Low and now High Oil Pressure

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 03-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Spagent
2012 JK Wrangler 

Help! Low and now High Oil Pressure

Hey everyone!

Here's the story... Getting onto the highway yesterday and as I was accelerating (nothing crazy) to merge into traffic, my Check Guages light started to blink and beep and my Oil Pressure Guage dipped to zero. I immediately pulled over and shut off the engine. Checked for leaks and oil level. Everything was fine and the engine felt like it was running normal/well.

So of course I jumped on the forum when I got home and read up on the issue. Most recommended the Oil Pressure Sending Unit which I replaced this morning. Here's the strange part...She has always sat at a constant 40psi until yesterday and now even with the new sending unit she is running around 50psi and fluctuates +/- 15psi.

Most times a bad oil pump shows LOW oil pressure so the only other thing I can think of is an Oil Filter that went bad??
Any thoughts?? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

('01 TJ, 4.0L, 5 Speed, 115K...Has always run like a top and still looks new)

Spagent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

OK oil pressure should bounce around. Lower at idle higher at higher RPM Stock sending units are built not to do that. It makes people nervous lol. Put an OEM sending unit in and it wont move around. Aftermarket sending units are more true. If your really worried try installing a mechanical gauge for a little while just for peace of mind.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Spagent
2012 JK Wrangler 

So you think its just because the sending unit is aftermarket?
Hmm...
Although I got it at Advanced Auto Parts, it certainly looked identical to stock. Hope youre right!!!

Can anyone think of any other reasons this might happen? Although my mileage is high, I'd like to keep her around a while. Still in great shape
Spagent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

If you look at the hole in the end of it that registers the oil pressure it's half the size of the OEM mopar piece. Doent function exactly the same because of that.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.