help. locking torx screw? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help. locking torx screw?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #31
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Had a similar conversation the other day. The gentleman helping me looked in the screwdriver drawer and pronounced he was after a slotted screwdriver. I explained that I didn't have any. He pointed to the flat blade versions and said that is what they were because that is what they were used on.

I followed him a moment later and handed him a combination wrench and told him the next time he was wadded up under the rig and really needed a wrench, he had to ask for a hex head cap screw or a hex nut if we are going to name them by what they are used on.
I bet that's the first time Joe has been called a gentleman.

krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #32
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Blaine I think we had this discussion years ago when I made the same mistake. I thought you were being nit picky and ridiculous. Having worked at a local aerospace company for a while now I understand and now find myself correcting people about it too. It might seem trivial, but when you're talking about the manufacturing of million dollar aerospace components, it kind of matters.

Also allen head cap screw? I think you mean socket head cap screw.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #33
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
I also used a big f'n pipe wrench for those f'n security bolts when I installed my Or-Fab cage.
when you installed your cage did you notice any of the welds or the bolt holes not aligning? seems that no matter what I do they wont line up
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #34
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Which bolts are giving you problems? The only problem I had was the bar that attaches the two main pieces together, behind the windshield header.
The powder coating did not allow the bar to go far enough on the sleeve. Took it all out and sanded the sleeve end until it fit. No other problems after that.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #35
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Blaine I think we had this discussion years ago when I made the same mistake. I thought you were being nit picky and ridiculous. Having worked at a local aerospace company for a while now I understand and now find myself correcting people about it too. It might seem trivial, but when you're talking about the manufacturing of million dollar aerospace components, it kind of matters.

Also allen head cap screw? I think you mean socket head cap screw.
You are correct. They are SHCS and I should know better than to talk on the phone when I'm typing a post. I was looking at a pic of a Torx and Torx Plus drive SHCS and used the Allen drive to differentiate incorrectly.

Aerospace is even more fun because now you get to specify grip length and it has to be correct.
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #36
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

You are correct. They are SHCS and I should know better than to talk on the phone when I'm typing a post. I was looking at a pic of a Torx and Torx Plus drive SHCS and used the Allen drive to differentiate incorrectly.

Aerospace is even more fun because now you get to specify grip length and it has to be correct.
The one that threw me for a loop was flat head with Allen drive. Figured it followed the pattern and was socket flat head screw but then quickly realized it couldn't be because it would then have the same abbreviation as slotted flat head screw.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #37
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

SHCS= Socket head cap screw
FHCS= Flat head cap screw
BHCS= Button head cap screw

and FWIW I have thousands of dollars in tools and I'm not talking snap on sockets and wrenches...I'm talking industrial metalworking and assembly, including a entire drawer dedicated to allen wrenches and torx. Lot of em including a handful of the safety torx...not in that size though.

I saw zero reason to re-use the safety torx on the roll-cage so I opted for the Ridgid Aluminum pipe wrench.
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #38
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Ridgid Aluminum pipe wrench.
Nice.
You're not too far from where they're born...
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #39
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I bought one of these for $2.99 at my local tool warehouse.
Advance Auto online has them for about the same price, plus shipping.

Works great with a 6-point, 5/16 socket.

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #40
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post

I bought one of these for $2.99 at my local tool warehouse.
Advance Auto online has them for about the same price, plus shipping.

Works great with a 6-point, 5/16 socket.
That sure would of helped. But, I installed my cage in the evening.
My big f'n pipe wrench saved me $2.99, a days wait until the hardware store opened, and the gas to get me there.

Planning ahead and proper tools is always best. I should looked for one before I tore into it.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #41
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post

I saw zero reason to re-use the safety torx on the roll-cage so I opted for the Ridgid Aluminum pipe wrench.
The factory should throw one of those in the glove box. No one uses an off brand will really appreciate just how good they really are.
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #42
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
Nice.
You're not too far from where they're born...
After lugging some steel ones up and down tall equipment a few dozen times...I splurged and bought 4. not cheap but worth every penny. We make nice things here in ohio.

and those guys in your state make quite a few really nice things...including the material I use often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The factory should throw one of those in the glove box. No one uses an off brand will really appreciate just how good they really are.
If I did not have easy, free access to a large wall of top quality high grade fasteners I would have bought a torx bit.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.