help. locking torx screw? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help. locking torx screw?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

there's not much a big f'n pipe wrench can't do... 'specially with a 6' pipe on it.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A security torx-head bolt is easily turned into a non-security torx-head bolt with nothing more than a small punch (or screwdriver) and hammer. The security pin in the center of the torx-opening is brittle and is easily snapped off making the bolt easily removable with a standard torx socket. This is how I have removed factory rollcage pieces without problem.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
A security torx-head bolt is easily turned into a non-security torx-head bolt with nothing more than a small punch (or screwdriver) and hammer. The security pin in the center of the torx-opening is brittle and is easily snapped off making the bolt easily removable with a standard torx socket. This is how I have removed factory rollcage pieces without problem.
Depends on the lot number I suspect. I've been able to snap some of them out and others they just bend over and you can't easily get enough back and forth on them to break them out.

Easiest way I've found for those is like others have said, big pair of vise grips or small pipe wrench both of which always work.
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #19
Majnoon
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have never done it but I bet many a Dremel tool bit can cut those posts out. Not the cutting wheel type but the little carbide ones.
Majnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
You won't have a problem if you use quality tools. At the very least, you should get a set of GearWrench tamperproof torx bits.
Very true. I have a good set of Torx bits. Just not for a security Torx. I tried to bust the little pin out of mine also and failed. I refused to buy a specialty bit for only two bolts on my Jeep that would never go back on once removed.

Thankfully, I had a f'n pipe wrench handy. They came right out.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #21
Smeg
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
Yes, I do. And most hillbillies I know clamp these onto ratchets or wrenches.

I don't see what's so hard about using a ratchet and socket.
This is funny because I don't think you do.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
there's not much a big f'n pipe wrench can't do... 'specially with a 6' pipe on it.

I can tell you live in PA (especially after seeing your build thread). That picture reminds me of most tie rod end removals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeg View Post
This is funny because I don't think you do.
Yeah...it's hysterical.

EDIT:

I'll just clarify my statement. If you're in a position where a 1/2" drive ratchet is required, and there are no wrenches or pipes available to fit the handle, and the pipe wrench you do have won't fit in the space provided, you simply use the pipe wrench on the end of the ratchet. Is it the most efficient? No. But if there is a bolt or nut frozen solid from 10 years of PA rust, and that's all you have to work with (which, I was assuming the OP was limited on tools, and not being familiar with the location of the bolts in question I said what I did), then you have to make do.

I know what a pipe wrench is. I know how to use one. I know it has countless amounts of ways to be used. What I don't understand is why everyone feels it necessary to hang onto a statement and keep bringing it up in a thread.

Now, moving on...

Clearly the OP figured it out since he hasn't posted back in this thread.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another solution (if all these easier solutions fail) is to use an angle grinder and cut a slit through the center, and treat it like a very large flathead screw.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Another solution (if all these easier solutions fail) is to use an angle grinder and cut a slit through the center, and treat it like a very large flathead screw.
Flat head screws come in many different drive configurations included but not limited to Allen, Torx, Phillps, and slotted.

Which did you mean?
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
rrobbins
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

Flat head screws come in many different drive configurations included but not limited to Allen, Torx, Phillps, and slotted.

Which did you mean?
Sounds like he's talking about a simple blade/flat screwdriver head....so you cut a slot in the bolt head and use a flat blade screwdriver in the cut groove

I don't believe he is referring to a countersunk type screw
rrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins View Post
Sounds like he's talking about a simple blade/flat screwdriver head....so you cut a slot in the bolt head and use a flat blade screwdriver in the cut groove

I don't believe he is referring to a countersunk type screw
If I agree to purchase something from you for X amount of dollars, can I assume you will be satisfied if my nomenclature for dollars is clams and I bring you a bucket of them?

Or would you prefer that I stick to more accurate terms?

I have 500 Allen head cap screws in my garage that are 5" long in 1/2-13. The reason they are there is because someone didn't know the difference in how to call out a fastener and assumed that a hex head cap screw was the same as hex drive. They are not the same.
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #27
BigAl4102
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had to heat my security torx bolts red how to get them out with a big f'n pipe wrench. Maybe mine had set out too much, but there is no way any torx bit was gonna get them out.
BigAl4102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #28
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any update if you got them off JeepJosh, regardless of the method lol
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #29
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

Which did you mean?
I assumed it was self explanatory considering said slit, but there are lesser evils than requesting clarity.

I did indeed mean a slotted head screw, often referred to in the vernacular when differentiating it from the other common household bit driver, the Phillips Head (1,2,3), as a 'flat head'

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
I assumed it was self explanatory considering said slit, but there are lesser evils than requesting clarity.

I did indeed mean a slotted head screw, often referred to in the vernacular when differentiating it from the other common household bit driver, the Phillips Head (1,2,3), as a 'flat head'
Had a similar conversation the other day. The gentleman helping me looked in the screwdriver drawer and pronounced he was after a slotted screwdriver. I explained that I didn't have any. He pointed to the flat blade versions and said that is what they were because that is what they were used on.

I followed him a moment later and handed him a combination wrench and told him the next time he was wadded up under the rig and really needed a wrench, he had to ask for a hex head cap screw or a hex nut if we are going to name them by what they are used on.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.