Help with lift kits for my TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with lift kits for my TJ

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
moush

Help with lift kits for my TJ

hey guys I am plannin on doing a lift kit for my 98 TJ 5 speed. It has 31" tires on it (came with it when i bought it), and its a 4 cyl (I kno it sucks but i couldnt afford a 6 cyl with decent miles). My question is I want to get a 3" lift kit but my father thinks that the car will be way tooo slow (acceleration will be close to none, and flooring it will fell like the car is going nowhere). Do any of you have an experiences with this or anybody heard of this before? did this happen to your 6 cyl when you lifted it? Any help is appreciated!

moush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
SaharaJeep

i wouldnt thinking that lifting it would cause that much lose of power if any. You will be higher so there will be more wind = more drag. The only thing that would really lose power is bigger wheels, then you could regear, and all would be fine.
SaharaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
moush

what gears come stock in the TJ? I really want to lift this puppy but I just gotta convince my dad somehow?? also how much would it cost to re-gear?
Unread 01-14-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Most SE's, I believe have 4.10 gears. If you wanted to go to larger tires, you'd probably get either the 4.56's or 4.88's. 32's would probably still be okay. 33's would be pushing it with 4.10, but with 4.56 would be good. 35's and up would probably need 4.88's.

-Paul
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
James04TJ

4.11 gears are possable with a 4cyl but is a little painful.
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
moush

ok so im good with the tires but what about the lift? can i pull off a 3" lift without any probs (daily driving etc?)
Unread 01-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moush
ok so im good with the tires but what about the lift? can i pull off a 3" lift without any probs (daily driving etc?)
I have a 3" lift and no problems (it certainly has no effect on power or acceleration!) With that much lift, you'll certainly have to correct your driveline angles to get rid of vibrations. There are many ways to do that, but a TC drop is the cheapest, followed by a MML, and the most expensive but best solution, a SYE with a double cardan driveshaft. For mine, I did a 1" MML and still needed a 1" TC drop. That works great for now, and I'll do an SYE as funds permit.

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Will you be good with it? Only you can really answer it. If it is done right, using it as a DD should not be a problem. I'm not wanting to regear, so I'm pretty much limiting myself to 32's. Like I said before with the OME, I get a good ride on the road, good offroad performance, and I can run 32's and 33's.

Just do NOT do the 3" body lift. If you want the 3" lift, do the OME or the 2" BB with the 1" BL. This should help prevent the driveline vibes that are common on 3"+ lifts.

So I guess you could be good with it.
Unread 01-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
Mango77

Do it to it!!!!!

Quote:

Get that 3" lift installed, you won't regret it. If it is your first lift or Jeep understand that it will handle differently. Just take it slow and get the feel of your Jeep with the lift on it. Enjoy and welcome aboard!
Mango77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
moush

Quote:
I have a 3" lift and no problems (it certainly has no effect on power or acceleration!) With that much lift, you'll certainly have to correct your driveline angles to get rid of vibrations. There are many ways to do that, but a TC drop is the cheapest, followed by a MML, and the most expensive but best solution, a SYE with a double cardan driveshaft. For mine, I did a 1" MML and still needed a 1" TC drop. That works great for now, and I'll do an SYE as funds permit.
What is a MML? SYE? Would i be better off getting a 2" lift? I just want to get a nice lift with no additional worries/work. What kit would you guys recommend?? What brand is good?
Unread 01-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #11
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you stay under 3" of lift, you should not have to worry about the MML (Motor Mount Lift) or the SYE (slip yoke eliminator). You MIGHT need to lower the transfer case a bit, but with a small lift, you can generally do that with washers as spacers.

OME and Rubicon Express are probably the best names out there for lifts. Others I'm sure will offer their own opinions.
Unread 01-14-2005, 03:58 PM   #12
moush

so if i were to go with a 2" lift and a 1" body lift that would be good right and I wouldnt need the SYE or the MME correct?
Unread 01-14-2005, 11:12 PM   #13
gmbtj

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl
If you stay under 3" of lift, you should not have to worry about the MML (Motor Mount Lift) or the SYE (slip yoke eliminator). You MIGHT need to lower the transfer case a bit, but with a small lift, you can generally do that with washers as spacers.

OME and Rubicon Express are probably the best names out there for lifts. Others I'm sure will offer their own opinions.
Exactly Paul! Good to see you outside of Itsajeep.org, too.
Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1 (President)
1999 Four Banga Wrangla - NO MORE!!!! -Going in 4.6L Stroker - TF 727 - Dana 300 HD
Teraflex 3T w/ OME's on 32" BFG M/T's
AtoZ Yaffy Style rocker guards l Tuffy Series II Security Console l Zirgo "S-Blade" electric fan l PSC Trail corners w/ LED's l Hella 500's l Expensive Sound System
gmbtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2005, 05:01 AM   #14
txjeepn

Quote:
so if i were to go with a 2" lift and a 1" body lift that would be good right and I wouldnt need the SYE or the MME correct?
I can agree to this I have a 2000 se 2" spring and ran 31's for 2 years on stock gears and it was tollerable for flat a$$ texas

I ran accross a great deal on POR on a set of 33's and its still ok just don't use 5th that much on use 4low alot more. A 1" body lift after the 2" spring was only realy needed in my case after I went to 33's (have yet to put it on). Working on getting around to getting rid of the pos procmps springs first.

And no I do not have a SYE or MML

Save your money ant get a 2" spacer lift and some 31's it will be OK.

txjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2005, 07:34 AM   #15
moush

i got 31's already and i spoke to my friend and he said body lifts suck so thats out of the question for me....i am still unsure of what i am going to do, in the mean time if anyone else has any opinions/comments please post them as I would like to hear them

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.