Help with lift kit to even out winch sag! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Pocketfullanut

Help with lift kit to even out winch sag!

So i have a 99 tj, i have an SRC front bumper and im putting a warn winch on it. I am currently running the stock suspension with 31s on it. I dont know much about lift kits. Never really got into it. I was looking for a BB lift kit. I like the RE BB lift since there are alot of good reviews about it. I dont want to go anywhere above 3 inches. But i understand that in the front im gonna need a little bit bigger than i would in the back. Just not really sure if its better to go with blocks, or get coils. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 PM
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A 2" spacer lift is generally fine. A 3" spacer would be a bad choice. I would look at old man emu springs.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Pocketfullanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616
A 2" spacer lift is generally fine. A 3" spacer would be a bad choice. I would look at old man emu springs.
I can never seem to find just the coils. Always kits that are way out of my price range. How much are ome springs?

post #4 of 17 Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Rangerz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have OME heavy with an XRC and a winch. love the ride. http://www.4by4connection.com/tj2.html

"Jeeps Love Gas Stations"

Chris - Lost Wages, NV

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, 2009 Lance 825, 2005 TJ,
Polaris RZRs.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 05:36 AM
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketfullanut

I can never seem to find just the coils. Always kits that are way out of my price range. How much are ome springs?
http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...pgid=16090+4XX

I don't even own a jeep anymore
post #6 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Pocketfullanut

Hey thanks, so when they say 1.5" and 'stock 2" does that mean that there a 1.5 and 2 inch difference from the stock coils? So basically would that be a 1.5 and 2 inch lift?
post #7 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 AM
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketfullanut

Hey thanks, so when they say 1.5" and 'stock 2" does that mean that there a 1.5 and 2 inch difference from the stock coils? So basically would that be a 1.5 and 2 inch lift?
Yes. And I would probably the 1.5", seeing as they're probably the heavy duty springs. OME doesn't really design their coils with a specific "lift" in mind. They provide different spring rates for different applications. An HD spring on a light TJ may yield 2.5", while an HD spring might only yield 1.5" on a very heavy rig. Make sense? Maybe someone like Unlimited04, who is more knowledgable on ome springs can chime in.

I don't even own a jeep anymore
post #8 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 AM
XTJake
ExtremeTerrain.com

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketfullanut View Post
So i have a 99 tj, i have an SRC front bumper and im putting a warn winch on it. I am currently running the stock suspension with 31s on it. I dont know much about lift kits. Never really got into it. I was looking for a BB lift kit. I like the RE BB lift since there are alot of good reviews about it. I dont want to go anywhere above 3 inches. But i understand that in the front im gonna need a little bit bigger than i would in the back. Just not really sure if its better to go with blocks, or get coils. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
If you just want to level out the sag, you can go with some Coil Spring Spacers up front and be all set. The "right" way to do it would be some longer coil springs up front.

If you want to lift the whole vehicle and not just level the sag, then you'll want to get a set of lift springs and add spacers up front, or get longer springs for the front. This can take some trial and error as different springs have different spring rates which changes the compressed length depending on weight. That's what makes the spacers easier, if you have 3/4" of sag you add a 3/4" spacer.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you would like a quote on anything!

-Ryan

Jake R. |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Off-Road Outfitters

Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
post #9 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Pocketfullanut

I guess i should ask. If i were to get those coils, would i be able to get 2 inch coils on stock load for the front. And the 1.5 coils for the back, but there heavy load would that make a big difference?
post #10 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 AM
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You are adding weight to the front end which makes it sag. Therefore, you need to get longer springs that will support the added weight. Adding spacers will only lift the front end and do nothing to support the added weight. This in turn can wear the spring out faster. As it's only rated for a "X" amount of weight.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 AM
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I guess i should ask. If i were to get those coils, would i be able to get 2 inch coils on stock load for the front. And the 1.5 coils for the back, but there heavy load would that make a big difference?
You can get what ever size/rated coil spring you want.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Pocketfullanut

So if i got OME 1.5 heavy load springs, with the teraflex 3/4 spacers up front. That would work fine? Im not quite sure on what the heavy load and stock load mean for there springs? Also looking for a set of shocks as well that arnt priced through the roof. I live in iowa, i dont need anything that will turn me into a transformer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRyan View Post
If you just want to level out the sag, you can go with some Coil Spring Spacers up front and be all set. The "right" way to do it would be some longer coil springs up front.

If you want to lift the whole vehicle and not just level the sag, then you'll want to get a set of lift springs and add spacers up front, or get longer springs for the front. This can take some trial and error as different springs have different spring rates which changes the compressed length depending on weight. That's what makes the spacers easier, if you have 3/4" of sag you add a 3/4" spacer.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you would like a quote on anything!

-Ryan
post #13 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Pocketfullanut

So what would you recommend? I get 2 inch coils for the front and 1.5 coils for the back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
You are adding weight to the front end which makes it sag. Therefore, you need to get longer springs that will support the added weight. Adding spacers will only lift the front end and do nothing to support the added weight. This in turn can wear the spring out faster. As it's only rated for a "X" amount of weight.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So what would you recommend? I get 2 inch coils for the front and 1.5 coils for the back?
stop thinking in terms of lift height.

spring is spec'd by length and rate.

Manufacturers publish their specifications:
XX" long unloaded, with no weight on them.
They then have a rate of XYZ lbs/in, or some other "weight by length" unit. This means they compress 1" for every XYZ lbs.

You do the basic grade school math to figure out how long your springs need to be if you're carrying around a given amount of weight. Then you go find the springs that fit those specs.

It's not rocket surgery. In fact, there is a detailed write-up in my build thread about exactly how to do this.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #15 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 AM
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
stop thinking in terms of lift height.

spring is spec'd by length and rate.

Manufacturers publish their specifications:
XX" long unloaded, with no weight on them.
They then have a rate of XYZ lbs/in, or some other "weight by length" unit. This means they compress 1" for every XYZ lbs.

You do the basic grade school math to figure out how long your springs need to be if you're carrying around a given amount of weight. Then you go find the springs that fit those specs.

It's not rocket surgery. In fact, there is a detailed write-up in my build thread about exactly how to do this.
This is how I learned.

Tags
lift kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.