Help installing KC hilites switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help installing KC hilites switch

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 07-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
xdfhdfjn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Help installing KC hilites switch

I have just installed KC Hilites on my bumper and am stuck on installing the switch. I'm tyring to use the knock out panels that are under the temperature controls in the middle portion of the dash board to mount the switch. My problem is that i cannot access it from under the steering column.

What i really need to know is how to remove the entire black portion that surrounds the stereo/ temp controls/ knockout panels so i can run the wiring . I am trying to keep this installation as clean and professional looking as possible so the more detailed the advice the better.

Thanks!

Unread 07-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
mdawg4x4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Start with the long piece the defroster blows through on top of the dash. It just pops out. Then two screws under that piece in the middle and another behind the ashtray and the center piece should pop out pulling the the top 1st. Excessive force always breaks something.

Last edited by mdawg4x4; 07-27-2008 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: 2 screws
mdawg4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
cmb516
2002 WJ 

yea just did this the other day pop the top defrost vent off then unscrew the two screws at the top then pop the ashtray out and unscrew the screw there, pull the plate off from the top first then unscrew the 4 screws around the panel with the cigarette lighter and the three button panels, then pop the fake switch out and put the good switch in then wire it up and screw everything back in its very easy
cmb516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
dabrogger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the removal. i just did mine too. only difference was that i wasnt able to just "pop" out the false switch thing and put the kc one in; i had to pop it out, drill a hole in it and dremel the sides down and put the switch in there. it looks pretty good and if or when i want to do something different, i just need to get another switch blank and put it back in.
dabrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
mdawg4x4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrogger View Post
X2 on the removal. i just did mine too. only difference was that i wasnt able to just "pop" out the false switch thing and put the kc one in; i had to pop it out, drill a hole in it and dremel the sides down and put the switch in there. it looks pretty good and if or when i want to do something different, i just need to get another switch blank and put it back in.
Got a finished pic?
mdawg4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
Garth Thomas
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did you replace the original lights on the bumper? If so why not use the original switch, just have it power the relay that came with the new lights.
Garth Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
02tjsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fogs on the newer TJs are on the column with the headlight switch. A tad harder to get to.

Also on newer TJs (his 05). He doesnt have an Ash tray. Im not sure how to get that last screw out on those. Maybe they dont have a screw down there.

be careful when drilling a hole in the blank plastic piece that you are going for. They can catch on the drill bit and snap pretty easily
'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
02tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
xdfhdfjn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tjsport View Post
Fogs on the newer TJs are on the column with the headlight switch. A tad harder to get to.

Also on newer TJs (his 05). He doesnt have an Ash tray. Im not sure how to get that last screw out on those. Maybe they dont have a screw down there.

be careful when drilling a hole in the blank plastic piece that you are going for. They can catch on the drill bit and snap pretty easily
Yep, no ashtray here. I am going to try tonight on this.
Unread 07-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
scdiver2001
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do they make switches to go where the fake ones are instead or drilling and using a dremel?
scdiver2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
02tjsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yup...contura style switches.

www.otrattw.com
Great product, great customer service.
'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
02tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #11
jake1977
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tjsport View Post
yup...contura style switches.

www.otrattw.com
Great product, great customer service.
I agree that is the route I went. I bought the Kc Hilites also. First thing to go was their switch and bought a contura II from otrattw. Fits great in the switch bezel.
jake1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.