Help! How do I replace the brake light switch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! How do I replace the brake light switch?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-30-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
wranglerxls

Help! How do I replace the brake light switch?

Thanks in advance.The brake lights on my 97 Wrangler stopped working, replaced the bulbs, still not working so bought the brake light switch and need to replace that as the next step. Hopefully that takes care of the problem.

Can anyone help me out with basic instructions? Where is the switch located? I had to replace the headlight switch a while back and had to remove the front panel for that, is the brake light switch in the same area or easier to access???

Thanks guys!!

wranglerxls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
twm1010

betcha its hooked to the brake pedal
twm1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

From the FSM:

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - BRAKE LAMP SWITCHThe brake lamp switch operation can be tested with an ohmmeter. The ohmmeter is used to check continuity between the pin terminals (Brake Lamp Switch Terminal Identification).

SWITCH CIRCUIT IDENTIFICATION
Terminals 1 and 2: brake sensor circuit
Terminals 3 and 4: speed control circuit if equipped
Terminals 5 and 6: brake lamp circuit
SWITCH CONTINUITY TEST
NOTE: Disconnect switch harness before testing switch continuity.

With the switch plunger retracted, attach test leads to terminal pins 1 and 2. Replace switch if meter indicates no continuity.

With the switch plunger retracted, attach test leads to terminal pins 3 and 4. Replace switch if meter indicates no continuity.

With the switch plunger extended, attach test leads to terminal pins 5 and 6. Replace switch if meter indicates no continuity.

REMOVAL
Remove the steering column cover and the lower trim panel.
Press the brake pedal downward to fully applied position.
Rotate the switch approximately 30° in counterclockwise direction. Then pull the switch rearward and out of bracket.
Disconnect the switch harness and remove the switch

INSTALLATION
Pull the switch plunger all of the way out, to fully extended position.
Connect the harness connector to the switch.
Press and hold the brake pedal in the applied position.
Align the tab on the switch with the notch in the switch bracket. Then insert the switch in the bracket and turn it clockwise about 30° to lock it in place.
Release the brake pedal, then pull the pedal fully rearward. Pedal will set the plunger to the correct position as the pedal pushes the plunger into the switch body. The switch will make a ratcheting sound as it self-adjusts.

ADJUSTMENT
Press and hold brake pedal in applied position.
Pull switch plunger all the way out to fully extended position.
Release brake pedal. Then pull pedal lightly rearward. Pedal will set plunger to correct position as pedal pushes plunger into switch body. Switch will make a ratcheting sound as it self-adjusts.
CAUTION: Booster damage may occur if the pedal pull exceeds 20 lbs.
808d82c3.gif   8086e9e1.gif  

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
mannick

Can someone please tell me how to remove the harness from the switch without breaking it?? I've been trying to get it off and I can't figure it out.
mannick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did you check your fuses first??
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
hls30racer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Great information here guys. figuring this all out would have been quite a headache for me without this thread. Thank you!
-Mike
hls30racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
BillyJ1967

New owner of a 2005 2-door Jeep Wrangler X, and loving it. The brake light switch was misadjusted, so the cruise control wouldn't stay engaged, and I decided to investigate. Sad to say, I pushed the plunger all the way into the switch as I was trying to adjust the pedal spacing - I heard the ratcheting noise mentioned by Nezzr in Post #3 above. So, using the instructions in that post, I removed the switch and disconnected the harness, and then confirmed that the switch is good. But now I need to get the plunger back out, and start again. Nezzr, your post just says to pull it, but it won't pull. Once it is all the way in, how do I "pull it out"? There are about a dozen little black tabs - is one (or more) of them involved?

I suppose I could strap a little block of wood on the brake pedal arm to bring it up to the needed height, but that seems pretty crude.

Thanks

Bill

Last edited by BillyJ1967; 04-04-2011 at 04:45 PM..
BillyJ1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
mrflash818
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Great instructions, here are some pix to help

I just finished replacing the 'stop lamp switch' myself, for my 1998 Jeep Cherokee.

Here is the URL of my procedure (which is what everyone suggested here) but added what I hope are helpful pictures.

http://mrflash818.livejournal.com/114369.html

It took about an hour, because I was taking and editing pix along the way, but presume it would have only been about 15minutes if I had to do it again.
mrflash818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
wrmcm
2004 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info. I have an 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE that's had a problem with the brake lights staying on. The dealership quoted me $175 to replace the brake / stop light switch. I got a brake light switch at NAPA [NAPA #SL796] for just under $15.
I'm not experienced with doing work on cars and actually had trouble removing the steering column cover & lower trim panel. Just as I was getting frustrated, I decided to get my head down by the brake pedal and saw the brake light switch in a fairly easy to reach spot. I removed it per the instructions and popped the new one in with no problem, If I hadn't tried to take the panel & cover off first, it would've taken me 5 minutes max to replace. So far, so good with the new switch & no more finding a dead battery in a parking lot because I didn't see the lights stay on. Am a very happy camper to say the least & appreciate the help & pics.
wrmcm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
dad5537
1985 XJ Cherokee 

its attached to my brake pedal lever it has a hollow slide sleeve on it with two pieces of plastic on both sides pull the sleeve out and dont lose the plastic washers either side then you should be able to pull it off this is for a jeep cherokee 1985 2.8 v 6 was having problems with my brakes so i replaced master cylinder and brake booster as a complete set now the brakes work great im in the middle of replacing floor boards on both sides now coming along good using pop rivet gun and 3m seam sealer and 3m undercoating that stuff works great.
dad5537 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Before starting to replace your brake switch, schedule your Chiropractor's first available appointment and then wait until several hours before the appointment to start the job. That way when you're done, you can have someone immediately drive your crippled body to the Chiropractor to get straighened back out again without waiting to get in. Once you start the job, you'll understand what I am saying.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
RedJeepBlueJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Had same issue on my 2000 wrangler. Changed switch out and solved issue. Did need chiropractor when done. Finally got it back in blind just using sense of touch....couldn't screw my back or head around any further.
RedJeepBlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

glad to find this recently bumped thread...I am attempting this weekend - good thread
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Before starting to replace your brake switch, schedule your Chiropractor's first available appointment and then wait until several hours before the appointment to start the job. That way when you're done, you can have someone immediately drive your crippled body to the Chiropractor to get straighened back out again without waiting to get in. Once you start the job, you'll understand what I am saying.
Exactly! I have replaced my switch and since our Jeeps don't have a flat threshold like other vehicles, it made my back suffer - being in a odd position to remove and insert the switch.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was fortunate in that my plunger just got maladjusted from yanking back on the pedal when my foot got caught in there. Flathead screwdriver and popped the plunger out a couple notches, fixed in under 5 minutes. Thanks neZZr for post and diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.