HELP front and rear axles have different gears!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP front and rear axles have different gears!!!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-16-2003, 09:11 PM   #1
pwhit

HELP front and rear axles have different gears!!!

OK here is the situation.

I bought a salvaged title jeep from a guy and it needed some body work. No problem. I have done all the work to get it ready for it's final DMV inspection so I can get a new title for it. The thing is that the front axle was messed up during the wreck and the guy I bought it from fixed it before I bought the jeep. Stay with me I know I might be draging this out but I want to make sure I cover everything. While doing some repairs on the jeep I noticed that on my diff. covers the gears were different. The front tag calls out 3.73 while the rear tag calls out 3.07. Not knowing much about 4wd (never owning one before) I was not sure if it was a problem or not. Well like I said I've got it ready for its final inspection and was taking it around the neighborhood for a test drive. It runs fine in 2wd but when I finally decided to try 4wd the rear axle locked up. Now I can put it back into 2wd and it work fine still but I have no 4wd. I've had the jeep for right at 3 weeks now and was just wondering what you would do in my situation? I could 1) call the guy and ask what the *ell is going on 2) buy 3.73 gear for the rear D35 and have them installed.

Now this has me wondering if possibly my jeep had a D44 rear end and he removed it prior to the sale of the vehicle and replaced it with a D35? Big question HUH. Is there any way I can find out what was on my jeep from the factory?

Any help would be great guy (and Gals).

Thanks,
pwhit

Unread 07-16-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

First, verify that you really have 3.73 up front. Once that is done, then regear the rear axle to 3.73. It'll cost around $600, which includes parts and labor to do it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2003, 10:06 PM   #3
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Go to a dealer and have them run the vin#. They can tell you what was stock on the vehicle.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2003, 02:56 AM   #4
DLoweinc

you can probably still have the DMV inspect/pass the vehicle while it is geared that way.

i had them check mine out (brought it from out of state) and they didn't even check that kind of thing.

just dont' run in 4wd until you get them geared the same.
Unread 07-17-2003, 01:05 PM   #5
tophillrod

My re-gear up front was 987.00 out the door. There might be some places that will do it for cheaper, but my parts alone cost more than 500 bucks - factory dana and timkin. If your rear is 307 and front 373 - the front should seem to lock up so the number on the diff could be wrong. I would suggest popping off the covers and see what the gears are before anything. HTH
Warn tire rack
Dana44 rear w/ Track lock
4:10 gears
135k and running strong...
tophillrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.