Help in finding best deal on Dana 60 F&R - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help in finding best deal on Dana 60 F&R

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Help in finding best deal on Dana 60 F&R

I am now looking to up grade my Dana 44 (TJ Rubicon) axles to the Dana 60 flavor. I have been searching the web and looked at a number of companies that produce these as bolt in units, but what have you guys seen that was intersecting (and a good deal)? The issue is that I just purchased the wheels which are 5x4.5 Walker Evans Racing wheels and most of the complete axle setups are 5.5 bolt pattern. If I use my rubicon knuckles and brakes, will this be the weak link now?

Unread 08-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Go get rockjock 60's. Run wheel spacers so you get to keep your rims. Along with rear 60's are not that much money anymore. You can get them brand new for 3kish depending on the setup you want.
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Problem is I have 4" of backspacing and adding a spacer will just move the wheels out even more. I am pushing for the Currie units, but I plan to call them tomorrow to discuss the knuckle question.
Unread 08-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Jetscuh
O rly?

I am going to suggest a RockJock as well. Do call Currie, they're great to work with.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Talked to Currie today and your right, they have a lot of ideas and options. I will do the Dana 60 for the rear for sure and the front I have to think about. I can upgrade the axles, locker, and sleeve the D44 or just go with the D60, which is of course much more pricey... Or I can go with the D60 with 1 ton knuckles and massive brakes for a little over $7K. I think I will think this over and start with the rear now and play around with the front. Thanks guys for the great support.
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to do the store bought D60s also and will more than likely go with Dynatrac and no I don't have a good reason for why I would chose Dynatrac over Currie either, both seem to put out a good product for @ the same price. Yes they are expensive and so are wives..had two of them so I figure I need two D60s to see which one works out better in the long run
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
I am going to do the store bought D60s also and will more than likely go with Dynatrac and no I don't have a good reason for why I would chose Dynatrac over Currie either, both seem to put out a good product for @ the same price. Yes they are expensive and so are wives..had two of them so I figure I need two D60s to see which one works out better in the long run
Nice response!
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

What ground are you trying to cover with the 1 tons?What tire size also?It has to be mud down in LA?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Louisiana is mostly mud and trails of hills. I don't see me rock climbing at any point. I really wanted to go with 37x12.50 but 35x12.50 seems to be more realistic... I have dumped more than $15K into this project and with motor ($4K) trans rebuild ($2K) and if I go with the D60's another $7K or more... I am hearing more that I need more than the stock D44 (TJ) units but man this is getting ridicules.

I am not one to beat on my rig, but I do not want to be pulled out off a trail ride because of a dumb decision. I ride with my 2.5 year old son and his safety and fun is at stake too.

I will not do the 1 ton knuckles due to the 5x5.5 lug pattern since I just bought a new set of walker Evans Racing wheels. Just can't see me wasting money at this point in the game.
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
DH19922010
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larubie View Post
Louisiana is mostly mud and trails of hills. I don't see me rock climbing at any point. I really wanted to go with 37x12.50 but 35x12.50 seems to be more realistic... I have dumped more than $15K into this project and with motor ($4K) trans rebuild ($2K) and if I go with the D60's another $7K or more... I am hearing more that I need more than the stock D44 (TJ) units but man this is getting ridicules.

I am not one to beat on my rig, but I do not want to be pulled out off a trail ride because of a dumb decision. I ride with my 2.5 year old son and his safety and fun is at stake too.

I will not do the 1 ton knuckles due to the 5x5.5 lug pattern since I just bought a new set of walker Evans Racing wheels. Just can't see me wasting money at this point in the game.
If yo stick with 35's, you rubi axles will be fine. Throw some chromo axle shafts from superior axle and you'll be good to go

37's are pushing the limits of the rubi axles though.... some do make it work though.
DH19922010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

why go with 60s for 35s? your ground clearance is really going to suffer.
Jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
why go with 60s for 35s? your ground clearance is really going to suffer.
The word suffer is the understatement of the century when talking about dana 60s and 35" tires.

I always told myself I wouldn't run 60s on anything smaller than a 40" tire...if you want to be built for 35s get a currie hipinion 9" rear...

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
Jetscuh
O rly?

Well that's interesting because I run my 35's mainly and have a 60 in the rear with no "suffering" from ground clearance issues. However, it is a RockJock so that design does make a difference. If it were a regular one ton 60 pulled from a Ford or something then yes, I'd be suffering.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
The word suffer is the understatement of the century when talking about dana 60s and 35" tires.

I always told myself I wouldn't run 60s on anything smaller than a 40" tire...if you want to be built for 35s get a currie hipinion 9" rear...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
Well that's interesting because I run my 35's mainly and have a 60 in the rear with no "suffering" from ground clearance issues. However, it is a RockJock so that design does make a difference. If it were a regular one ton 60 pulled from a Ford or something then yes, I'd be suffering.
For 35's you will be fine running your rubi 44's. If you want some extra insurance about your shaft strength then go with the Chromoly's. But really they arent needed.

And Jetscuh is also correct. If you do decide to go the 60 route because that is what you want to do, then getting the rock jock is going to give you the highest of almost any 60

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Theres a pair of 60's here from an 78 f250 for sale. look on the forsale part of this site. 410 gears. front and rear for like only 1200 bucks or so.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
d60 , dana 60 , swap , advice , help , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.