Help, emissions readiness monitors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help, emissions readiness monitors

New! JK/U skid plate system.We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
bthompson12994
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Help, emissions readiness monitors

Alright, I've been on here a while but haven't said or done much, I need help though. It's time for an inspection and my emissions readiness monitors aren't ready. I understand the gist of what they are, but they won't ready. I've put about 400 miles on it since it was last worked on. I've used my code reader after driving for a while and certain ones will be ready, but when I cut the Jeep off and restart it, the four of them aren't ready again. On top of all that, I'm trying to sell this Jeep as soon as possible. I think it might be the battery. It struggles to start when cold, so I figure the battery might not have the voltage it needs and the computer basically resets every time the Jeep is off. The guy at Advance (not necessarily a guru) said he knows of chryslers in particular having computer issues. I haven't heard anything about this being tied to a computer issue before, but maybe I'm wrong. Any help is great, thanks.

It's a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with an automatic transmission, lift kit and all that cool stuff.

bthompson12994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Clean your battery terminals and cable ends until they shine. Then when you put it back together make sure the connections are very tight. It sounds like you are losing battery feed when it sits and that's resetting emissions monitors. It also means when you try to start you have a weak connection and so the starter struggles to pull enough power.
Unread 01-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
bthompson12994
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you, that makes sense. I'll try it in the morning.
Unread 01-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
MJM1981
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Also check your IOD fuse. Underhood FusBox
MJM1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #5
bthompson12994
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Battery terminals were the issue, once they were cleaned the monitors were ready within an hour and it was inspected. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.