Help! electrical problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! electrical problems

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
NS2xTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Help! gauge problems

hey guys, i ve been searching for days on my own trying to find a thread to fix my problem without bothering everyone, but i cant seem to find one specific to my problem.

I have a 97' tj with a 2.5l with manual trans. my problem is that i have to turn the key multiple times(normally 2 times) to get my gauges to work; also i will be driving down the road and the speedo and tack will wall off. the other four gauges(fuel,volts,oil pressure,etc.) seem to stay on but i know the have also then quit working bc i have taken a decent size drive and the fuel gauge does not move.

I have taken the gauge cluster out and twisted th prongs 5 degrees and put dielctric grease on them like i found on one thread but that didnt work.

any help would be much appriciated
thanks nathan

Last edited by NS2xTJ; 02-10-2013 at 04:04 PM..
NS2xTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
NS2xTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone?
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There is an issue with the connectors coming loose on the back of the cluster, but it sounds like you already took steps to fix this. Does hitting the top of the dash make the gages work? If so, you still have a connector issue.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Jim Guarino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced the key switch to fix the same issue.
Jim Guarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
NS2xTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
There is an issue with the connectors coming loose on the back of the cluster, but it sounds like you already took steps to fix this. Does hitting the top of the dash make the gages work? If so, you still have a connector issue.
No hitting on the dash doesnt help i tried that too
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
NS2xTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Guarino View Post
I replaced the key switch to fix the same issue.
thanks i was kinda thinkin that might have something to do with it but wasnt sure think ill give this a try is it hard to replace?
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
NS2xTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help guys
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
HobieSun
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Slight high jack here.
I too have a 97 Tj with the 2.5/auto.
My gauges wont turn on for about 5-10 minutes then they are fine. Bumps don't seem to do anything. I took it out but I don't see anywhere the dealer did anything. All the wires look factory. Pushed it back on while the jeep was running and the lights come on but no gauges.
Can someone explain where this twisting of the wires takes place? No luck on the fix yet.
HobieSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
HobieSun
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have tried just about everything with no luck. As soon as I shut the jeep off and turn it back on no gauges. Airbag light stays on constantly, with it running, all lights, no gauges at all. Bend the tabs, cleaned, wiggled every connection possible. Changed out the #17 fuse, nothing.
The ground strap on the top near the gauge connections has been messed with. Some Ahole cut the other end and used it for the radio I presume. I cleaned that up and touched it all over under the dash and didn't make any difference. Still no luck. Hitting it doesn't do anything.
There is a cable coming from the ignition to the shifter (auto). There is a little connector going to a round cylinder type thing that it plugs into . That gets pretty hot. Not sure what the heck that is. Other then that I don't notice anything else. Gauges will come on after about 5-10 minutes and stay on until I shut it off. Need some help.
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
HobieSun
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, now my speedo and tach will quit working while driving and everything else will work. I was messing with the key while driving and pulled it straight out. So that's not right. I cannot get it to mess up for me on demand. Does its own thing. Frustrated.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.