HELP Electrical issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP Electrical issues

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
CGRetired
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rear window defrost issue

Hey guys,
Just bought a new toy, 04 Rubicon. It's got a couple issues, hoping you can help. I tried the FAQ area with no luck, also did a search and someone has had same problem, but was directed to a thread that doesn't load.

04Rubicon, all stock, auto.... My rear window defrost button is blinking the orange light, and the mirror compass flashes at the same time. Any ideas?

Also, the fog lights stay on, which I've pulled the relay and assume is the blinker assy problem.

Thanks

Last edited by CGRetired; 02-28-2014 at 10:50 AM..
CGRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
CGRetired
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just want to add, it has a hardtop, and it's the original factory one.
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
CGRetired
2004 TJ Wrangler 

More info....
With jeep running, if I turn on my rear window defrost, my dome lights turn on as well as all my instrument lights. The whole dash lights up, brake, check eng, oil, seat belt, fuel, blinkers, airbag, ect....

If I turn the key on without starting and turn on the rear defrost, then everything turns off, as if the key is switched off.

This is crazy, need help.
Unread 02-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is just a guess but hopefully it's something this simple. There are some ground connections below the dash speakers on each side. Remove the two screws in each speaker cover, then pull the speaker covers towards the rear of the vehicle to remove them. Check the screws below the lower speaker screws are tight. If that doesn't help maybe the body ground needs checking under the hood.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
CGRetired
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Update
I pulled cluster, cleaned connectors, unplugged and checked ALL connectors under dash, cleaned grounds behind drivers speaker, went under hood and checked and cleaned all connectors, changed battery terminals due to corrosion.
Still have the same problem, PLUS, now my door chime "chimes" anytime my door is open, even with nothing on or keys in the ignition.

Is there any help out there? Thank you to one person who has given a tip.
This is a common issue, as it gets a lot of hits if googled, but no info on the fix.
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
CGRetired
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody???? I can't be the only one with this problem.
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's certainly a strange problem and the first of this type that I've heard of. I'm wondering if the cluster is fried. The timer for the rear defrost is controlled by the cluster in all years. In later years the dash/cluster background illumination is controlled by the cluster - there are quite a few cases where the illumination fails due to a fault in the cluster. Chime, again, is controlled by the cluster.

It would be nice if you could pull your cluster and try it in a different 04 TJ. Not sure without checking FSMs what other years the cluster could be tried in. Checked now. 03-04 are the same in 05 there is an SCI receive input that is not on 03-04 model clusters but as it's for the OBDII port the cluster should be fine tried in 05-06 models too if you can find one local willing to let you test your cluster by swapping into their dash.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The switch for the key in place sensor is in the ignition itself. Either the ignition switch is a problem (key in place switch stuck closed) or the actuator between the tumbler and the ignition switch is activating it even with the key out.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I thought about that but with so much else going on cluster related I forgot to get back to that one. If the chime isn't down to a flaky cluster the only other things which will cause the same beeping as the key in and door open chime are, lights on with door open, or the turn signal left on for more than a mile at speeds greater than 15 mph warning.

Unread 03-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
CGRetired
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Update...
I replaced my Multi Function Switch (blinker switch), and ignition switch. This fixed my fog lights always on problem, and door chime issue.
I still have the "turn on rear defrost and all electrical shuts off" problem.

I'm going to replace my instrument cluster, but have a question.
I'm told it has to be a 04-05 cluster, but this is a rubicon. Do all 04-05 clusters have the " lockers" lights in them, or do I need to find a "Rubicon" only cluster?
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Since the rubicon was introduced for 03, all clusters from 03 (rubicon or not) should have the locker lights feature. The circuit boards have LEDs for all the indicator lights with t he exception of full beam so everything should function fine.

As already stated, the only difference between 03-04 clusters and 05-06 clusters is an extra wire going to the 05-06 which is designated SCI receive. I've found one reference to problems with a cluster swap where the person who did it did not have SKIM fitted but the donor vehicle must have because he got the SKIM light on, and the cluster test revealed a code stating "buS b1" meaning the cluster isn't seeing a message from the SKIM. Here's the thread with the detail.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/in...-km-hr-347282/

Aside from that I can't think of any other problems that should be experienced with a cluster swap. I would expect 03-06 to work for you but without finding any threads regarding cluster swaps I can't confirm it. I'd hate for you to swap the cluster and it not fix your problems. It would be nice to find somebody in your area with an 04 to try a cluster swap.

Unread 03-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like your rear defrost switch is shorting somewhere. Have you checked the switch itself?
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I see you have a new thread asking about the clusters which says the radio goes off too which I don't think has been mentioned in this thread.

The radio doesn't (or shouldn't) share any common circuit with the cluster or rear defrost. It really makes me think this is some sort of screwy power issue like a bad ground as initially suggested, or some sort off corrosion in the inside of the PDC such that when the load from the rear demist is presented it robs power from the other circuits. I haven't suggested it already but I wonder if the battery could possibly be weak. Might be worth getting it tested just to rule it out.

Unread 03-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I see you have a new thread asking about the clusters which says the radio goes off too which I don't think has been mentioned in this thread.
Trying to solve two problems, which could clearly be related to each other, in separate threads? I call FOUL!
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #15
CGRetired
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry about the other thread, just figured someone who has had a cluster issue might offer some advice, but may never actually look at this thread.
The radio not working was something new I just noticed, as well as the rear wiper, it doesn't work either. This Jeep is new to me and I'm just getting started with it.
So as of today, I've took apart, inspected, and reconnected every connector under the hood and dash. I've cleaned every ground I could find, including the ones behind the speaker. I even twisted the pins to the cluster. The battery was new when I bought it, but the connectors had some corrosion, so I replaced them. Everything was very clean....
The connector to the top was connected, so I disconnected, and still have the problem with the rear defrost. So it's not an issue with the top.
I haven't checked the switch, but did clean the connector. I'll check it tomorrow, also going to check for power to the wiper motor.

Thanks for the info on the cluster, I do have a friend with a donor jeep, but his doesn't have the rear defrost or wiper motor. So I can't check mine in his, and I'm worried I might damage his if I install in mine. What do you think?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.