help with currie 4 inch lift install - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

help with currie 4 inch lift install

hello guys,
This is my brothers account that im borrowing. long story short, hes out of country and i need help with my currie 4 inch lift.

1. what size wrench is needed for the jam nuts?

2. I cant get the rear axle centered. should i bolt up the track bar before installing the springs?

3. did you guys leave in the spring isolator when installing the rear bumpstop? if so, how did you guys get the bolt in? it seems too short.

4. lastly, the passenger side upper control arm; how did you tighten the jam nut with it being so close to the frame and exhaust? im using a HUGE crecent wrench and it doesnt fit. if i bought the correct size wrench, it still looks like there is no room.

5. when trying to relieve some of the bind, do you do it with springs in or out? i have the springs in, and the upper control arms are really hard to turn

questions 2 and 4 irratate me because thomas specifically told me what to do before he left, but i cant remember what he said.

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Garza
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
hello guys,
This is my brothers account that im borrowing. long story short, hes out of country and i need help with my currie 4 inch lift.

1. what size wrench is needed for the jam nuts? I think it's 1.75" but I use crescents

2. I cant get the rear axle centered. should i bolt up the track bar before installing the springs? Put springs in, with weight on suspension then start your measurements. Adjust as necessary. There is a better way, but PM MrBlaine

3. did you guys leave in the spring isolator when installing the rear bumpstop? if so, how did you guys get the bolt in? it seems too short. You can leave them if you cut out the center (basically make it flat)

4. lastly, the passenger side upper control arm; how did you tighten the jam nut with it being so close to the frame and exhaust? im using a HUGE crecent wrench and it doesnt fit. if i bought the correct size wrench, it still looks like there is no room. easiest way is to drop the arm out and tighten. You shouldn't be in enough bind where you can't do that.

5. when trying to relieve some of the bind, do you do it with springs in or out? i have the springs in, and the upper control arms are really hard to turn

questions 2 and 4 irratate me because thomas specifically told me what to do before he left, but i cant remember what he said.

thanks
Hope some of that helps
post #3 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thank you garza. helps alot! i went over to my brothers to check the mail while hes gone, and grabbed a bunch of tools that i think ill need, including big wrenches.

here are the measurements i got from the rear track bar. i measured from the frame to the center of the tire. the whole axle sits almost a 1/2 inch more to the passenger side. seems like a lot more when looking at it, but thats what i got. i do have a full tank(if that means anything). it does stick out further with less gas.

no matter what i do, i cant move the body over to get the trackbar mounted when the springs are in. so, what im going to do to is, take the springs out, bolt up the track bar and then put the springs in. it seems like ill have to use a spring compressor this way, but its the only solution i can think of.

lets talk about bind. correct me if im wrong, the springs can make the bind deceiving. again, correct me if this is a no no, but i am going to ajust so the suspension moves as freely as i can, then put the springs in. does that sound right?

im currently running my brothers old 33's but since hes out of country, i stole his spare(35x12.5 goodyear) as its going to be my next tire, and i adjusted the arms so they'll fit. the caster is set to 5 degrees, and all the bumpstops are in and work great with my 33's.

please feel free to add anything or set me straight. for such a simple looking suspension, its taking me a long time.

thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Greenfun2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal

no matter what i do, i cant move the body over to get the trackbar mounted when the springs are in.
I've had success using a ratchet strap from the frame to axle to pull the body over to hook up my front trackbar.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

you know, the front wasnt bad. i could muscle it just fine. the rear on the other hand...not happening

post #6 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 PM
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Support Jeep by frame. Remove rear springs. Place axle on jack stands so that the distance between spring buckets is what it would be with the springs in there at ride height. Center axle and bolt track bar in. Put springs in and connect everything back up. My springs are a little shorter than yours but I've never had to use a spring compresser or force the springs in or out with JJ arms.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 10:07 PM
DTater
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
you know, the front wasnt bad. i could muscle it just fine. the rear on the other hand...not happening
I used a 2" ratcheting strap, i tightened until it lined up.
You have to be creative with the routing of the strap but it should work.
My lift was 2" but actually raised the rear 3".
My trackbar was also off by about .5 inch.
Didn't the 4" lift require a TB relocation bracket?
post #8 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

dtater,
no, this is sort of a hybrid lift, and the first ive ever done. the rear track bar is adjustable with johnny joints at both ends. it did come with a bracket that my brother helped me weld to the existing bracket and axle tube. my dad bought me currie control arms and springs. my brother bought me fox shocks, track bars and bumpstops. i bought the antirock, dana 44, sye with driveshaft.

my brother told me the ratchet attempt didnt work on his jeep. I took measurements of his when i went over earlier today, and his axles are perfect.

rchase,
thank you and your response is within what ive been doing. with your johnny joint arms, did you adjust them with the springs in or out?

this is what ive done;
jacked it up, removed track bars, shocks, let the axle droop to get the springs out. then i changed the control arms, made sure they hit the bumpstops as correctly as i could, then i left one upper unbolted. then i bolted up the tires and checked for clearance. once that was good i put the springs in, and couldnt get the rear track bar aligned. so i removed the springs again, bolted the trackbar up and put the springs back in. then went up front and set the one upper control arm to 5 degrees caster, and went back to the rear and set the pinion angle. after that i bolted the unbolted upper in front and rear up.

now im trying to get rid of bind but im afraid the pressure from the springs are not giving me an accurate result. should i pull the springs again and adjust so i can get the suspension moving as easily as it can, then throw the springs back in? or is leaving the springs in a better way because of the pressure they create?

post #9 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfun2 View Post
I've had success using a ratchet strap from the frame to axle to pull the body over to hook up my front trackbar.
Realize not subject of OP's issue but just thought I'd mention for anyone reading that in the front its all very easy. No need to use ratchet straps or anything. With the axle end of the trackbar disconnected, turn the jeep on and turn the steering wheel. That will shift the tub over the axle. Figure out which way you need to go. Get where you need and connect the trackbar. Takes seconds literally.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

biffgnar, thank you as i thought i was loosing my mind. i dont know what i typed to get responses about the front, but the front wasnt ever an issue.

well i got it all together today. i just got the suspension as moving as freely as i could, then tightened jam nuts as tight as i could. I drove it to my brothers to compare ride height and measurements. between mine and thomas' jeep are considerably different. the axles to the frame measure the same, but the control arms and track bars are at completely different lengths. it drives a little rough, but everything is new. I remember thomas' jeep riding about the same when he did his lift back in april. im positive thomas is going to get under mine when he gets back, and take a fine tooth comb to everything.

thank you for all your guys help and thank you for being kind to a beginner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.