Help with Cowl Intake - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with Cowl Intake

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-10-2005, 08:55 AM   #16
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i think that you guys are overthinking this.

anyway, you could use the stock airbox top to protect the filter.

lj

Unread 08-13-2005, 12:39 AM   #17
raskal

sorry for not contributing to this earlier, been real busy

anywho, I got my airbox from a '92 Buick Century (I think) with the 3300 engine. I also grabbed some airbox tubing from another buick (a regal of the same era). Both sides of the box are 3" diameter which is actually too large for a 2.5L Jeep imo (more on this later).

From the TB, I used the stock 2.5" rubber flex piece which is about 4" long, then connect to a 2" to a 3" PVC converter. Then a 3" 90' corner. Then a 18" piece of 3" PVC pipe, then a piece of that Regal flex hose, then the airbox.

From the airbox, I put another flex piece on, then a 6" piece of PVC that goes through the firewall, then a sharp 90' and now a 3" to 2" reducer.

Now what I did wrong;

1) 3" is too large for the 2.5L as it just doesn't need that much air and it causes the air to slow down too much, thus allowing too much sound to escape the air intake system. That is why I now have the reducer on the end. Before the reducer the sound was extreme! At 1/3rd throttle there was a deep rumble that was like a V8, at 2/3rds the whole Jeep started vibrating badly. The reducer removed most of the vibration, the sound has grown on me

2) This maybe related to the 3" as well, but every once in a while, I'll have a small backfire. Doesn't cause any CEL or other problems, but it started right after the install.

Things, I'd change ;

Obviously, I'd use 2.5" plumbing and have enlargers just at the airbox. I'd also increase the length of pipe used in case that's the reason for the backfires. (no too sure about that one)

Cautions;

- Watch the height coming off the TB
- after the firewall, I made a hard right turn to turn the air flow towards the vent opening, but that can interfere with the wiper arms if you're not careful.
- At the end of the tube in the cowl, I cut the pipe at a 45' so it made a overhang at the top, just in case water came straight down onto the pipe it would have less chance of getting into the airstream. BTW, I live near Vancouver B.C., a MAJOR rain belt... I have driven through SERIOUS rain storms with this setup and never had any problems. Water does NOT get in... period.

post here for addtional questions,... I'll follow this thread.
raskal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2005, 01:10 AM   #18
bigblackblur

Has anyone thought of making a setup with detachable pieces to run the intake under the hood on the street, but then through the firewall into the cabin for offroad?
Unread 08-13-2005, 01:21 AM   #19
raskal

if you read my post above, I mentioned a problem with noise. If you ran the intake into the cab, I'd think the noise would be so bad, you couldn't hear much when you stepped on it. Take some dryer vent hose and run it into the cab with the engine running to hear what I mean.

Also, you might have bad smells coming back from the system (from the CVC (PCV) system for sure).

I haven't heard of anyone doing that, doesn't mean you shouldn't but I'd consider the above first.
Unread 08-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #20
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Can you post any pictures raskal????
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #21
raskal

what the heck, it's 9am I can go outside in my gonch and take pics on my heep, the neighbors won't mind

If you want clarification of any pics, please ask but I never took any pics inside the cowl because I don't feel like taking it all apart again, it's not that exciting anyways. The only exciting part of that is when you just figured out you drilled a big *** hole in your Jeep's firewall!!! (future holes become much easier)

http://raskal.ufies.org/jeep/cowlintake/
Unread 08-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #22
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

I didn't want you to take it apart, I just wanted a pic of how your system looks in the engine comparment and where you went through the firewall at to the cowl.....
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #23
rock dawg

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo303
A guy in my club just did this.

http://www.tri-state4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=866

so that jeep cant be driven in the rain right?
Thats My Jeep So I can answer a couple of questions.
The air filter is to the right of the cowl grates so rain drips right next to it.
The drain is lower than the filter(that took a lot of beating to the cowl floor) so the water runs away from the filter.
I used a dual cone filter(look at the pic) to get the airflow I neded.
I used an outerwears pre-filter over the airfilter. you could spray water at it and it runs right off.
As far as driving in the rain - No problem.
The performance benefit of getting cool fresh air is very noticable, especially in hot weather.
rock dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.