Help with Cowl Intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with Cowl Intake

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 08-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
BDAZCJ5

Help with Cowl Intake

After looking at my choices for intakes I have decided to build a cowl intake/snorkel. I looked at cone intakes and the arb. The arb is way too much$$ and the cones don't filter as well as the stock intake. Not to mention they are not water freindly, I have almost hydrolocked my jeep twice whith the stock intake. In a previous post raskal gave me the idea of the cowl intake. I have searched out every example on the net and liked his basic design the best. Can anyone give me some ideas or suggestions as too design. tubing diameter, or materials. Just looking for information so if you have any ideas or comments chime in. Thanks

BDAZCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
bondo303

A guy in my club just did this.

http://www.tri-state4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=866

48 CJ2A
bondo303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
coorsmgood
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo303
so that jeep cant be driven in the rain right?
Unread 08-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
bondo303

Quote:
Originally Posted by coorsmgood
so that jeep cant be driven in the rain right?
He can drive it in the rain. I think he is putting on the vent cover on it and also a piece of sheet metal over the top of the cone so if by chance water gets in there, it will roll off the metal guard and not on the filter.

48 CJ2A
bondo303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i'd also suggest turning the scoop around, open toward the windsheild.

it seems like i've seen the same thing done a different way that was more water resistant too... i'll look.

lj
Unread 08-08-2005, 02:11 PM   #6
LoneJeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=679

i stand corrected, he did nothing different, as far as rain protection goes. Although he does state that he's run a garden hose into it...
Unread 08-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am thinking of doing something like this but I am worried about the water issue.
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
BDAZCJ5

The way I figure is that water will be a non issue. Unless you go the cone route. The scoop does need to be turned around. I want to use an air box so if any water does get in it will be trapped by the filter or you could always put a tiny drain hole in the bottom of the box like the stock box has. Keep the ideas coming.
Unread 08-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
coorsmgood
2010 JK Wrangler 

There has to be some more there to protect from rain ..no way its not an issue..

and if your driving wont the air preasure be less up there? like a wing? therfore less air will be flowing into your air cleaner..less power?

Im interested in doing somthing like this just thinking that might not be the best place to do it?
Unread 08-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #10
LoneJeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

the cowl is drained itself, by a really big hole.

also the heater air intake is right there too (IIRC) and there's nothing special about the intake.

i would bet that the rain that makes it's way down into that intake is very minimal. you could always do a heat-sheild style rain protectant, by using an old heat sheild from a ram air intake etc.

lj
Unread 08-09-2005, 12:07 AM   #11
KY-TJ

I found this write up on a home made TJ snorkel. TJ SNORKEL It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it may give you some ideas.
Unread 08-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #12
BDAZCJ5

If you run an airbox inside that can drain and not a cone filter there won't be a problem unless you drive through water and send the wave over your hood in which case it will go right into your cowl. The cowl has a drain so there is no telling how much will get sucked in. While this design isn't a full snorkel it is better than stock and doesn;t cost $$$$. Any ideas about materials, abs, aluminum, steel, which airbox etc. Thanks guys.
Unread 08-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #13
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been doing a bit of research on this... there's a bunch of ways you can do it, you just have to be creative and see what's most important. There's not a whole lot of info out there on it.

The problem I'm finding is making sure I use an air filter that's rated to flow enough air for the Jeep. I'm having a very hard time finding hard numbers of what I really need and what each filter will flow.
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2005, 02:38 PM   #14
BDAZCJ5

An easy way to figure out needed flow is to use the dimensions of the factory setup. Just duplicate the dimensions or a bit bigger. I have found several air boxes from other vehicles that would have been outstanding for everything from ram air to a snorkel but the problem is that most are not of the proper dimensions. What box has been used by those who used the buick setup?
Unread 08-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #15
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How do you convert the area on a flat filter to a cone? Is area the same on both or would you need more on the cone?
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.