Help! Clutch is making a horrible noise when depressed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! Clutch is making a horrible noise when depressed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 09-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Help! Clutch is making a horrible noise when depressed

To start things off, a few months ago when I was sitting in my Jeep with my friend, we heard a strange noise when I was holding the clutch in. He said it sounded like my release bearing (or throw-out bearing) was going out. Like an idiot, I just put this potentially future problem aside.

Well yesterday when me and my friend we getting in my Jeep so I could take her home, I held down the clutch and cranked it, and this horrible screeching noise started going. When I let go of the clutch it stopped. So Now I figure my throw-out bearing went out.

I am trying to sell this Jeep so I can get a 4.0. Would it be possible for me to buy a new throw-out bearing and drop my transmission and get to my clutch and replace it with basic tools or will I need any special tools? How complicated of a procedure is this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brandon97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
justincue
2000 TJ Wrangler 

a full socket set should be all you need.
justincue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you're only going to replace the throw-out bearing then you don't need anything special as far as tools go. But, being how you have the tranny out, the best thing would be to replace the clutch as well. For that you'll need a clutch alignment tool. They're not expensive and you won't get the tranny back in without aligning the clutch.
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What is the screeching sound though? I couldn't see a bearing making a noise like that.
Unread 09-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
NH2112
Web Wheeler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A dry bearing under a load and turning at 700ish RPM will definitely squeal. I second replacing the whole clutch assembly while you have the tranny down. From what I hear you don't have TJ flywheels resurfaced, just use a coarse Scotchbrite pad (or even better a "cookie" on a die grinder) and put a nice circular scratch pattern all over the engagement surface.

'90 YJ w/4.2l & 4.0l head, Weber carb, 5-speed, 4" RC lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG MT KM2s.
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so I called the shop to get this fixed and they said I would also have to get my flywheel resurfaced and my slave cylinder would also go bad in a few months if I didn't change it. I know not to get the flywheel resurfaced but I never heard about the slave cylinder going bad?
Unread 09-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The throwout bearing going bad isn't going to cause the slave cylinder to go bad. And to confirm, don't let anyone turn/resurface the flywheel. Doing so would remove its required dome shape.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
bruker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

To keep your clutch from getting depressed try giving it some Prozac, then it might not make those horrible sounds.

I'm sorry, it's Friday.
Unread 09-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
jeffyp06
2006 WK 

if your going to go through the trouble of dropping the tranny why not just replace the whole clutch assembly?
jeffyp06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.