Help! can't get bikini top off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! can't get bikini top off

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
Randyfukeway
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Help! can't get bikini top off

I just bought a 1998 Wrangler TJ. It has a bikini top, & the previous Owner did not show me how to take it off. In fairness, I was excited to get it, & it was raining so I took off before I got a tutorial. I watched a Youtube tutorial video, & there were two latches along the top of the windshield on the video that were opened to remove. The brackets on mine have a bolt on the top and will not budge. I will take the bolt out, but I don't want to break something. I do not know the manufacturer, so I hope someone can help. I realize I am not giving much information, but this is all I know at this point. I have attached a pic, but it is upside down.

bracket.jpg  
Randyfukeway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You have to loosen the two bolts. That's a bolt on style header channel, as opposed to the clamping style used from the factory. Probably a 1/2" socket.
Unread 04-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Randyfukeway
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks TimV! I thought that may be the case.
Unread 04-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
Randyfukeway
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm still missing something. The top across the cab from top of door to top of door is so taut I can't get the retainer clip out of the slot along the top of the door. I think something else needs to be tak e n off.
Unread 04-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
TJDaveX
Fail rated

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is a no drill header. Loosen the bolts with a half inch wrench until the clamping hooks can be pulled out from the holes in the windshield frame.
Sounds like the bikini top is being used with the door surrounds. This makes the top very tight. There is a plastic rail on the top that goes into the slot on the door surrounds, like the soft top does. It's a very tight fit, and hard to get them on and off.
Take a flat screwdriver and CAREFULLY pry the rail out of the surround at the rearward side to get it started, then finish by hand.
I get a good finger workout twice a year putting mine on and off.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #6
Randyfukeway
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I have decided to leave it on for now.
Unread 04-22-2015, 03:50 AM   #7
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wait for a hot sunny sumner day.
They get alot easier to remove and install when is baking in the sun.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.