help with a bad case of DW - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help with a bad case of DW

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
btwntj01

help with a bad case of DW

so i recently put a lift RC 4 in lift kit on my jeep and when i went to get it aligned they said they would not be able to get it into the correct range so i just had it put as close as possible and since then ive had a bad case of death wobble around 40-50 mph. i was looking at upgrading the control arms to adjustable ones so that the camber could be in the correct range. Am i way off with this idea or what? thanks

btwntj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Does your Jeep shake uncontrollably like it's being shaken by "GODZILLA" and you have to come to a complete stop for it to go away?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
btwntj01

yes id say if godzilla felt the need to shake my jeep he would have a similar shake
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you put on new tires with the lift?

What about wheels?

And how about the front track bar? Did you replace it or did you unbolt the stock track bar for the lift install?
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Camber isn't adjustable unless you buy offset ball joints.Your adjusting the caster with the adjustable upper control arms. Is the toe adjusted properly?Did they give you a readout on your alignment?Is your tracbar tight at the axle side? Tires balanced right (roadforce balancing)?Any play down there while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth? It could be a number of things.

Last edited by GOLENJEEPTJ; 03-10-2010 at 04:34 PM..
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Racing66atv
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i just conquered my own personal DW battle. mine was a worn out Tie rod end, the one that connects to the pittman arm on the drag link. but while i was chasing the DW i replaced both front hub assembly's plus both tie rod ends that are on the tie rod. wrap your hand around the rubber boot on the tie rod ends and make someone turn the steering wheel and see if any feel loose or if you can feel like a pop in it.
Racing66atv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
btwntj01

i just had the wheels balanced but i do have alot of play in the steering. i checked that and its the steering box itself which has alot of play, sorry i meant to say caster
Unread 03-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
btwntj01

where can i find a adjustable ball joint and would getting the longarm upgrade kit with adjustable control arms help any
Unread 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
btwntj01

also which ball joint would i replace the upper or lower or both
Unread 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

I would first start by measuring your toe. Go to stuoffroad.com for the very best write up. Did you get nnw adjustable track bars or get relocation brackets? Your thrust angles will be way off with 4" of lift and no change to the track bars.

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
btwntj01

the kit came with a relocating bracket and in the front it had you drill a hole so far over from the existing hole
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Is there any play at all in your front track bar

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #13
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwntj01 View Post
i just had the wheels balanced but i do have alot of play in the steering. i checked that and its the steering box itself which has alot of play, sorry i meant to say caster
I would look at fixing that. People will tell you that you can tighten the nut on the top of the box, and that WILL tighten the shaft bearings. However I would NOT recommend that.(2 cents) I replaced my steering box. I have seen a lot of bad results tightening that nut on saginaw boxes.

JERRY??
Unread 03-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
btwntj01

yea i planned on fixing that too
Unread 03-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
aghostinside
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had dw when I installed my rc 4" lift. I searched and did all the basic checks: tires balanced, track bar, tie rod ends, ball joints, and had it aligened many times. I also had three different sets of wheels and tires through all of it. I thought maybe I had junk rims or bad tires. I finaly replaced my control arms with the adjustable version so they could adjust my caster. Death wobble is and has been gone ever since they were installed. I can hit bumps and drive at any speed without even a hint of dw or shimmy.
I'm not saying this will fix yours but adjustable arms are nice to have anyway unless your planning long arms in the near future. Good luck.
aghostinside is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.