Help!! Automatic Won't Go Into Gear! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help!! Automatic Won't Go Into Gear!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Bodazapha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Help!! Automatic Won't Go Into Gear!

I pulled my jeep into the driveway with no problems. About half an hour later I went out to move it and couldn't get it into gear. The gear shift lever just slides from Park to 1 without engaging any gear. Any experience with this problem or help is greatly appreciated. Until I can move the jeep, both my parents cars are stuck where they are.

Bodazapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get underneath on the driver's side and look at the front of the transmission where you'll see the shifter cable coming in from the front. After setting the parking brake where it can't roll, have someone shift the lever back & forth while you look from underneath to see what the cable is doing and if it's still connected to the transmission and moving. Odds are it's not a major problem, maybe just a bad cable or where it's attached.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Bodazapha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That was it. We found where it's disconected. It looks like the bushing that kept it on has just rotted away. What little there was left crushed in my hand when I touched it. Is there anywhere I can get a new bushing (tonight?) or an alternative? Thanks.
Unread 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can you take a good flash-lit photo of what came apart? You'd be darned lucky to find a replacement for what came apart in a hardware store at 7pm your time. You have a different auto tranny from what I have so without a pic, it'd be hard to know what you need.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Bodazapha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The area in the red cirlce is where the bushing used to be. We zip tied it on to get it in gear and out of the driveway. It worked, we just need the bushing now.
Unread 01-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodazapha View Post

The area in the red cirlce is where the bushing used to be. We zip tied it on to get it in gear and out of the driveway. It worked, we just need the bushing now.
My tranny is the same as yours, but it has not done that yet! But, something that did happen to mine, that is very common, is the plastic rod inside the shift lever breaks. (Shift interlock shaft) If you can't get it out of park, or in to park and lo gear, you will know what it is. There are some threads on this forum that show you how to fix it with a plastic hanger or chopstick. The dealer will try to replace the whole shift mechanism. My chopstick has been going strong and was free. Just a FYI. Happy Trails
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what kind of material was the bushing, plastic, brass, steel, etc.

don't know the shape, but lowes harware bins has lots of different kinds of bushings.

good job on the zip tie.
Unread 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Bodazapha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It was a rubbery plastic. Old, deteriorating rubbery plastic.
Unread 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

That happened to me recently. Its a single unit with the shifter cable. $120 for the cable and install, no its not covered under warranty.

Cable part# 52109624-AD $20, $97.50 labor.

Its a plastic snap type ring that is part of the cable end.
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
mps925
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any updates on how you fixed it? My 05 TJ just did the same thing on Friday, and the Jeep dealership in town just closed down.
mps925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

I found one of those pieces on a Grand Cherokee. I was at a pick a part place.
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #12
Jagans
2005 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem

My wife was driving our 2005 Wrangler, 4.0 with auto trans to a friends house. She called me to tell me that when she got ready to leave, the shifter wouldn't go into gear. The lever moved up and down, but didn't engage the transmission. I went to the house and crawled underneath.....thank GOD that it's a Jeep and I didn't need to raise the body off the ground!

The linkage has a nylon bushing that holds it to the shifter lever. It crumbled into pieces somehow. The Jeep only has 50K miles on it. I manged to get it home by clamping a pair of vise grips to the shifter lever (pinning the linkage to it.

I called the local Jeep dealer and it's $24 for the linkage (52109624AD), you have to buy the ENTIRE linkage, they don't sell JUST the nylon piece. It sounds like this might be a common problem, after readying this thread.

I didn't want to take the entire shifter column apart, so here is what I did.

I went to Home Depot and bought an assortment of small rubber and nylon bushings in the hardware dept. Then I got a small assortment of cotter pins.
When I went back home and crawled under (after letting it cool down, that transmission gets really hot!) I had to trim one of the rubber bushings just a little to get it to fit into the hole. Then I pushed the linkage clevis onto the linkage and put a cotter pin to hold it. So far so good! The linkage has what looks like a ball joint at the tip, so the cotter pin holds. You have to use one that is pretty stout, so it won't work its way off.

Last edited by Jagans; 07-24-2010 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: added the part number
Jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
Knight-Rider
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just have mine zip tied. A zip tie lasts about 6 or 8 months. When it goes, I keep a bunch of them under my seat.

I remember the feeling of disgust, leaving the dealer empty-handed. I thought it would be a $4.00 part.
Knight-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #14
swtrucker
2011 JK Wrangler 

(05 4spd Auto Linkage Failure)...look at this write up.. Tells you how to fix it permantely.
swtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
grimmstrong

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler.

Okay, so here's my problem.
  • Jeep is stuck in neutral
  • The bushing broke
  • The shifter cable won't line up the the "ball"

At first, just the bushing broke. I had fixed it temporarily fixed it with the zip tie explained in the forum. Then, they fell off and I couldn't get the Jeep back into park. It thinks it's in park, because I can take out the key, but when I take off the emergency brake, it starts rolling down the driveway. I don't know if the Jeep has to be in park for the cable to line up, but any suggestions would be great.
grimmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.