Help with an annoying problem... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help with an annoying problem...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-29-2004, 08:35 AM   #1
saint matthew

Help with an annoying problem...

OK, I did a search and didn't find anything exactly like what I have. I have a squeak that is coming from the passenger front wheel, or that area. It doesn't do it all the time. When I come to a stop and apply the brakes it gives a high pitched rotational type squeak. That makes me think ok brakes pads need a fixin, but when I turn left sometimes I get the same squeak. It doesn't do it every time I turn or brake but it is an annoying hitch pitched tinny metal on metal squeak. I took the front wheels off last night and looked at my brake pads, they seem to have plenty to go. Rotors didn't seem to be in bad shape that I could see, inside or outside. So now I'm confused. Is this the dreaded "angry sparrows" or something else.

saint matthew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
saint matthew

uhhh anyone ??
Unread 06-29-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
TJdave
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same problem!! When i had it in the stealership the other day they checked the brakes as part of the service and said that they were fine. They told me that it is probably dust in the brake pads and that it will just wear off. After three weeks it still squeaks.

I live on a huge hill and so i wanted to make sure it wasn't my brakes going bad, but i haven't noticed any difference. They seem okay, so i just left it at that. It is pretty annoying huh??

Anyone have idea???
KC daylighters, Warn Front bumper
and some Shrockworks
rock sliders all sitting on 33's
Pictures
NRA Jeeper #9

Ham Radio Call: KI6KCU
TJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
jkulbeth

If you've got life left on the pads, it could just be a metal flake in the pad that needs to wear down. Or it could just be a squeaking brake pad that touches just enough to be irritating. Or it could be a wheel bearing.

Did you actually remove the pads to check them, or just looked at the sides? Sometimes you have to pull them out to get a good indication. If they're good, put some anti-squeal stuff on them before you put them back in. How are the discs looking... any tell-tale grooves that suggest a pad wore out and is now metal-to-metal or down to the rivets?

If it does it consistenly with the brakes, I'd focus on the brakes.
[COLOR=DarkGreen]Green Jeep Club Member #119[/COLOR]
jkulbeth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
denalijb

wheel bearing?

Could possibley be a wheel bearing. My D44 bearing went out a few years ago. Any vibration at speed?
denalijb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2004, 01:12 PM   #6
TJdave
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denalijb
Could possibley be a wheel bearing. My D44 bearing went out a few years ago. Any vibration at speed?

I don't know about St matthew, but other than the squeaks i don't notice anything.
KC daylighters, Warn Front bumper
and some Shrockworks
rock sliders all sitting on 33's
Pictures
NRA Jeeper #9

Ham Radio Call: KI6KCU
TJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2004, 01:48 PM   #7
saint matthew

I didn't actually get the calipers/pads off last night. I started too late and was having trouble getting calipers off. I figured before I went through ripping that stuff off I would ask and make sure I wasn't wasting my time on one thing if it's going to be another. I eyed the pad height compared to the new ones I bought just in case and there didn't seem to be a big difference in size at all. The only vibe I'm getting is right at the 45 mph area, I attributed that to the new wheels/tires I put on a couple of weeks ago. The thing that baffles me is it squeaking on the left turn AND when I use the brakes. It would help if it would do just one or the other. I went at lunch and drove around and let it just slow down/stop with no brakes, and didn't hear anything.

by the way, I think my new motto is... "Wanna learn auto mechanics ?... buy a Jeep!"
Unread 06-29-2004, 01:52 PM   #8
saint matthew

::by the way:: The above mentioned vibes are really minimal...
Unread 07-08-2004, 08:32 AM   #9
saint matthew

OK, I tore apart front brakes, found nothing wrong. (had just a wonderful time putting them back together.) Annoying squeak persisted. I did the grab the wheel and shake to see if there is play meaning bearings dying... nothing. Figured oh well it must be nothing, I'll just drive it as is, that lasted for about 2 days before it was driving me crazy. I was about ready to give in and take into the shop to see what they could find. I found a spot in my driveway where is was unlevel enough that it could roll slowly in neutral. I jump out while its rolling and squeaking and figure out HEY!!! it's NOT coming from my front brakes it's coming from the BACK right brake!!!! I jack it up tear off the wheel and the drum and see that the "adjuster cable" decided it had had enough of life and broke. A little sweat, $5.00, and a round of the ever fun game of "fighting with brake springs" later NO SQUEAK!!

So TJDave or anyone that happens to have this problem this may be an option to check out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.