Help after 8.8 Swap Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Help after 8.8 Swap Please

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 03-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Help after 8.8 Swap Please

I just had an 8.8 put in my TJ and have a couple of questions. First, I also got a SYE put in and need a driveshaft. I want to make absolute sure I measure correctly so I don't get the wrong length. Please see the pic below and let me know what points to measure between? Also, do angles look good or do I need to account for adjusting those two via UCAs?

Second, the UCAs look a little crooked/tilted where they attach to the axle bracket. Is this OK/Normal? I just want to make sure everything is as it should be.

Lastly, I see that the brake lines (maybe ebrake lines) are attached to the UCAs via zip tie. This is not good enough for me. I was going to put some metal ties on them but where are they really supposed to be attached?

Thanks for the input!

cam00169.jpg   cam00167.jpg  
Skold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Robert0069

Control arms look normal if that is a Johnny joint , ah yea redo the brake holds and you can get close with a tom wood DS give or take .
Robert0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

those RE arms use hourglass bushings on one end, so the RE flex joint on the axle side should be straightened as much as possible. the pinion seems a little low, you'll need to measure that when you get the shaft in. then shorten the lowers and extend the uppers to dial in pinion angle. the lowers may not shorten any shorter, in which case you'll need to get lowers that will. this is because if the lowers and uppers become too long to adjust pinion angle, you end up with the axle hitting the gas tank skid.

measure the shaft length from u-joint center to u-joint center. that'll be fixed yoke face to the center of the adapter in your case.

it also doesn't look like the bolts are tight on the pinion flange adapter. may want to check that. the driveshaft shop will need the adapter to build your driveshaft.

to fix the upper control arm brake line attachments use Adel clamps. They are very common, although not necessarily by the correct name. You can order them from McMaster-Carr, Fastenal, or pick them up at McGunkins or ACE Hardware.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
those RE arms use hourglass bushings on one end, so the RE flex joint on the axle side should be straightened as much as possible. the pinion seems a little low, you'll need to measure that when you get the shaft in. then shorten the lowers and extend the uppers to dial in pinion angle. the lowers may not shorten any shorter, in which case you'll need to get lowers that will. this is because if the lowers and uppers become too long to adjust pinion angle, you end up with the axle hitting the gas tank skid.

measure the shaft length from u-joint center to u-joint center. that'll be fixed yoke face to the center of the adapter in your case.

it also doesn't look like the bolts are tight on the pinion flange adapter. may want to check that. the driveshaft shop will need the adapter to build your driveshaft.

to fix the upper control arm brake line attachments use Adel clamps. They are very common, although not necessarily by the correct name. You can order them from McMaster-Carr, Fastenal, or pick them up at McGunkins or ACE Hardware.
For flanges you actually measure to the flange face, not the u joint center. For 8.8 with flange it should be measured from yoke face to flange face.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Bskank
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Go to Tom Wood website http://www.customdriveshafts.com to see what measurement you need or give them a call they are super cool and will explain it to you. They will probably recommend you order a new pinion flange with the DS so they can be balanced together.

Yes your pinion will need to point up towards your TC output shaft, picture also on Tom Wood website, by adjusting your UCA's out. Set your Ebrake, place floor jack under pinion with slight pressure, disconnect UCA's then jack pinion up until it points at the end of the TC output shaft and adjust and reconnect UCA's. I would make this adjustment before measuring for your DS.

Remove that crooked CA and check the bushing, it could need replaced or just tweeked when the lock nut was tightened.
Bskank is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OK, thanks for the input. I think I will go to Rocky Mountain Driveline in Denver to get them to make one for me. They can scope it out and tell me exactly what I need I think. I'll also do some of the other suggestions here with regards to adjusting the CAs.

I was looking under the back end again this afternoon and also noticed the shocks seem to be angled more now. I took pics. Does this look OK?
cam00177.jpg   cam00181.jpg   cam00185.jpg   cam00188.jpg  
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

shock mounts look to be welded on a little high and slightly off angle. might be how the brackets themselves are cut. not a biggy, more of an attention to detail thing. i'd suggest measuring for the bumpstops/shock length and see if you're bottoming out the shocks before the bumps hit.
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
shock mounts look to be welded on a little high and slightly off angle. might be how the brackets themselves are cut. not a biggy, more of an attention to detail thing. i'd suggest measuring for the bumpstops/shock length and see if you're bottoming out the shocks before the bumps hit.
So no concerns with that? I am an attention to detail kind of guy so maybe these items annoy me. Also, the shock boots seem to go against and slightly around the gas tank cover. That's not a big deal?

Thanks for the good feedback Unlimited!
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skold View Post
Thanks for the good feedback Unlimited!
give me a call ahead of time when you're coming into Denver to get the driveshaft built, maybe we can grab some coffee or something.
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
give me a call ahead of time when you're coming into Denver to get the driveshaft built, maybe we can grab some coffee or something.
Hey, that'd be sweet! I may be heading there Saturday morning. I was thinking about getting there when they open at 8:30am or soon after. I was going to call tomorrow to set that up. Let me know if you can make it.
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

I went to RM Drivetrain and they measured and made a drive shaft. I spent all day today trying to adjust the pinion angle via both sets of control arms. First, I disconnected the lowers and was going to shorten them when I read that the pinion angle should be adjusted up by lengthening the uppers. I disconnected the uppers, but spent literally a couple of hours trying to get the bolt out of the upper on the muffler side because as it comes out, it hits against the muffler. I finally got it out. I then started to jack up just below the pinion slowly. I got it somewhat close to pointing at the SYE output shaft, but it seemed like it did not really want to point up anymore. I am not sure why or if I should just keep going and get it there by force.

I adjusted the UCAs on both sides and got one side's bolt in. I am not sure how I will get the bolt in on the side with the muffler. I may have to remove the muffler I figure unless someone knows of a trick to it.

Now, during this process, I also had one lower disconnected still. I am now having a hard time getting the bolt in that one too. It goes in one end but doesn't quite line up on the other. I tried tapping it in with a rubber mallet but didn't really want to push my luck with that since it wasn't going. The hole is off front to back about 1 mm (see third pic below). I am not sure what to try next there.

Lastly, since I got the pinion angle close, I decided to try installing the new driveshaft. I bolted it onto the SYE and then went to line it up to the axle. I am now thinking they built the driveshaft about 1/4-1/2" too short. Please see the pictures and let me know what you think.

I appreciate any and all advice to help me get this set up right. This is the first time I've really done anything underneath my Jeep besides changing tranny and diff fluids last fall.
cam00193.jpg   cam00194.jpg   cam00195.jpg  
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

shaft length looks fine.
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
AdamLC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pull on the driveshaft, the rear sections should slide out. If that's what you mean by it being to short.
AdamLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.