help on 98 wrangler (rust on frame) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > help on 98 wrangler (rust on frame)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
sullyd51

help on 98 wrangler (rust on frame)

i am buying 98 wrangler sport w/ 159000 mi body looks good 2 tops automatic took it for aride about 5 miles has new battery brake lines all 4 does not seem to burn any oil that ican see new thermostat new oil sending unit sensor also after market stereo w sound bar tub looks solid drivers side and passenger floors and rear floor there is one thing i noticed that is driving me crazy just in front of rear wheels on the frame where the hole is theris abou 6 inches of rot both sides other wise th frame looks good w/ my un trained eye tires all match good enough for know muffeler good back pressure don't know about emmission when igo for sticker .iwas hopeing for some good feedback i don't want tomake a 5000.00 mistake

sullyd51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
bjeeper23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If i was buying another jeep, (things i didnt know when I purchased but regret) hard top and hard doors are expensive so try to get one that has what you want, full doors and a hard top are atleast 1000 if you have to buy after. Check what rear axle is in it, If you think your going to make it bigger oneday, and arnt mechanically inclined, you may be better off buying what you want. 5000 for a 98, doesnt sound horrable, but better deals can be had if you look for it. Id think with those miles it should be in the nieborhood of 4k. Take a pic or 2 and post em up here, so we can get a better idea of the rust problem, and an overall value before you purchase. welcome to jf
bjeeper23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is the frame rot just surface rust or is it deep.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Emdot
1998 TJ Wrangler 

take a little hammer and tap on the rust areas and make sure its still solid. If its just surface rust, it can be fixed easily.

Do a thorough check around underneath though for more patches of rust. Try and look at the rear body mount positions. The ones that are near the rear shocks in front of the gas tank. Make sure you look from underneath looking at the back side of the frame as well.

Good Luck!
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Be careful i bought a 97 that had rot around the big holes in the frame, entire frame was shot. They are bare inside without any drain holes. Any thing that goes in those big side holes is in there forever. I blocked them off on my 98 and drilled drain holes, no more troubles.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 98 also and about a month ago i did fram repair on the same area(both sides) just welded some new metal in place,cleaned it up and coated.Good as new

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How about some pics?
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
ek1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

5k seems like a lot. It may be dependent on the area you are in though. I bought my 97 for only 500 more, no rot and 55K less miles than the one you are looking at. It did have surface rust on the frame, but i fixed that over a weekend. Be patient and get the one you want!
ek1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

that price sounds about right for the salt belt IF there is no "rot" surface rust is one thing gapping holes in the frame are another completely we need pictures. Even still I would haggle. probably can get it for around 4k especially with the higher miles and rust and if the tires are not all the same brand and size. Brand counts there is no federal manufacturing standard BFG's 33" is different than GY's I promise.

where is MA are you I would love to come check it out with you. PM me if your interested.
Unread 06-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Rigged

For the love of God please thoroughly check the frame rot! I bought a '97 TJ 6 years ago (in my young age) and was too excited about getting a Jeep that I neglected to see the beach sand in the frame. I am now paying for it now. I am constantly taking large chunks of rust out of the frame.

So please do yourself a favor and learn from my mistakes and check the frame rot very well!

Put your fingers in the holes on the side of the frame and check if there is a large amount of rust/debris, proceed with caution.
Unread 06-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Young age. Your still young there Whipper snapper.
I was hoping you would add your experience to this thread. Did we take any pictures of your frame repair?
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
sullyd51

i changed my mind i can't afford a mistake, it is on boston craigslist w/ 2 pics
sullyd51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

best bet is to check the holes with a long flexible magnet and see how much metal you pull out with it.
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
ssb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

indeed... i ran a magnet through the large holes on the side of the frame and pulled up about 4-5 pieces of rust chunks anywhere from 1-3 inches long and about 1/8 to maybe 1/4 inch thick. Altogether i had maybe 2 hand fulls of rust. i am gonna flush it .. try and get it all out and then spray some rust bullet, por15 or Eastwood's in there to get me by until it craps the bed. Hopefully it wll last a few years..
ssb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
Rigged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsean0308 View Post
Young age. Your still young there Whipper snapper.
I was hoping you would add your experience to this thread. Did we take any pictures of your frame repair?
The only pictures I took were of painting the exterior with POR15 and how I learned the lesson of not getting it on your skin...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.