HELP! 4.0L overheated, cracked block, now I need a new motor. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! 4.0L overheated, cracked block, now I need a new motor.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #61
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^ agreed, that's what happens when "techs" (aka parts swapers) try to be mechanics

joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #62
dgi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing bro!

My radiator blew up (10 years old at the time) and it caused me a world of hurt..

My head ended up being cracked so I bought a reman head, new radiator, water pump, samco hoses, t-stat, t-stat housing, etc and I still had coolant consumption. We put some dye in the coolant and ran a black light over and under the car, nothing.... No coolant/oil mixture... no smoke out of the back. I ended up getting tired of hauling around coolant and water so i got some bars leak and since then, i havent had to add coolant. Of course my motor only keeps oil pressure with 20w50 weight oil now (dont know if this is a related issue) but im getting 20mpg and its running smooth. Turning my A/C on in the summer will send the temperature of the motor into the red zone though.

You have two options from what I've gathered from my experience.

1. Throw a used motor in there for $1500 ( $1000 with $500 install)
2. Get a rebuilt motor/stroker (around here its $2900 for a stroker with $500 install)

From what I understand... if your going to install a head, its best to remove the engine and plane the deck on these motors to ensure a complete seal.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

FWIW: I'm waiting for my current motor to die then i'll be getting a Golen 4.6
dgi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
block , block test , engine , motor , stroker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.