HELP! 4.0L overheated, cracked block, now I need a new motor. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! 4.0L overheated, cracked block, now I need a new motor.

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #61
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^ agreed, that's what happens when "techs" (aka parts swapers) try to be mechanics

joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #62
dgi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing bro!

My radiator blew up (10 years old at the time) and it caused me a world of hurt..

My head ended up being cracked so I bought a reman head, new radiator, water pump, samco hoses, t-stat, t-stat housing, etc and I still had coolant consumption. We put some dye in the coolant and ran a black light over and under the car, nothing.... No coolant/oil mixture... no smoke out of the back. I ended up getting tired of hauling around coolant and water so i got some bars leak and since then, i havent had to add coolant. Of course my motor only keeps oil pressure with 20w50 weight oil now (dont know if this is a related issue) but im getting 20mpg and its running smooth. Turning my A/C on in the summer will send the temperature of the motor into the red zone though.

You have two options from what I've gathered from my experience.

1. Throw a used motor in there for $1500 ( $1000 with $500 install)
2. Get a rebuilt motor/stroker (around here its $2900 for a stroker with $500 install)

From what I understand... if your going to install a head, its best to remove the engine and plane the deck on these motors to ensure a complete seal.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

FWIW: I'm waiting for my current motor to die then i'll be getting a Golen 4.6
dgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
block , block test , engine , motor , stroker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.