HELP! 4.0L overheated, cracked block, now I need a new motor. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! 4.0L overheated, cracked block, now I need a new motor.

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

for 5800 you could put a corvette motor in it....

1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
LiveAndLearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
TEXAS_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3eff_Jeff View Post
I'm with 98tjsport. The 4.0 is super strong block. It's not a diesel block, but it's still way overbuilt. Firestone is trying to fleece you ($5800 with no upgrades sounds like robbery to me).

What does your oil look like? Does it look like dark to black cooking oil or a milkshake? Pull your oil fill cap on the top of the engine and run your finger around the inside. Any frothy residue? (These symptoms would mean the coolant was leaking into the oil.)

Are you getting white smoke out of your tailpipe? You should see something coming out of your tailpipe if the block is cracked and the coolant is leaking into a cylinder.

Is there any coolant in the engine bay? It should be an orange liquid (green if someone put the wrong, older stuff in), and it probably dries to a white powder or otherwise looks like a white hard-water stain when dry. Any of that in the engine bay? If there is, can you trace where it's leaking from?

Have you checked your radiator cap? When you pull it off, there's a rubber gasket in the cap that should be smooth and clean. If the rubber is cracked at all, toss it and get a new one. It should be an 18psi cap, and they're cheap (Summit has them for $5).

Also, all of these symptoms can be caused by other things failing, like the head gasket, which everyone keeps bringing up for a reason. You've got a 2004, so you should have an 0331/TUPY head, which is unlikely to crack (but would likely go before the engine).

Again, take it to someone else. Firestone's estimate is bad, and I would be surprised if they didn't misdiagnose your problem. The block is the last thing to check. At 80,000 miles, your 4.0 is just getting broken in.
Ok, thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that I also replaced the radiator cap when I replaced everything else, so it should be good. My out-of-town guests just left last night, so I'll go pickup the jeep tonight and check the oil to see what it looks like. I assume I can fill the radiator and drive it about 4 miles home and it'd be ok as long as it doesn't over-heat, right? I'll have my Wife follow and look for any smoke out of the exhaust as well.

If it is the head gasket and not the block (as everyone is suspecting) is this something that needs replaced asap and can cause more damgage or could I just replace the radiator and keep driving it?
TEXAS_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
TEXAS_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAndLearn View Post
for 5800 you could put a corvette motor in it....
I actually own a 2001 Corvette also.
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
3eff_Jeff
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS_TJ View Post
Ok, thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that I also replaced the radiator cap when I replaced everything else, so it should be good. My out-of-town guests just left last night, so I'll go pickup the jeep tonight and check the oil to see what it looks like. I assume I can fill the radiator and drive it about 4 miles home and it'd be ok as long as it doesn't over-heat, right? I'll have my Wife follow and look for any smoke out of the exhaust as well.

If it is the head gasket and not the block (as everyone is suspecting) is this something that needs replaced asap and can cause more damgage or could I just replace the radiator and keep driving it?
It's something you want to get fixed sooner rather than later. Particularly if you are losing coolant as fast as you are. (Which also means: that coolant has to be going somewhere, and if you can figure out where, it will tell you a lot about what the problem is.) The head gasket is also a lot easier to fix than replacing the whole engine. I won the 0331 head crack lottery with mine, and I did the work myself. It's a lot less work than replacing the engine, and should be much cheaper to have done, but it's still a non-trivially repair, even for the mechanically inclined.

Before you top it up and turn it on, check the oil. If it is milkshake consistency and has a coffee with cream color, you don't want to drive it or turn it on (except maybe to check for smoke out the exhaust, and that might still be a bad idea). When there's enough coolant in it to make it milkshake consistency, it doesn't work as an engine lubricant and the chemicals in the coolant will eat away at your bearings. (So the answer is: yes, this can cause more damage if left alone.)

But, as many people (including myself) who are saying "head gasket", we don't know where the leak is yet...
3eff_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
TEXAS_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3eff_Jeff View Post
It's something you want to get fixed sooner rather than later. Particularly if you are losing coolant as fast as you are. (Which also means: that coolant has to be going somewhere, and if you can figure out where, it will tell you a lot about what the problem is.) The head gasket is also a lot easier to fix than replacing the whole engine. I won the 0331 head crack lottery with mine, and I did the work myself. It's a lot less work than replacing the engine, and should be much cheaper to have done, but it's still a non-trivially repair, even for the mechanically inclined.

Before you top it up and turn it on, check the oil. If it is milkshake consistency and has a coffee with cream color, you don't want to drive it or turn it on (except maybe to check for smoke out the exhaust, and that might still be a bad idea). When there's enough coolant in it to make it milkshake consistency, it doesn't work as an engine lubricant and the chemicals in the coolant will eat away at your bearings. (So the answer is: yes, this can cause more damage if left alone.)

But, as many people (including myself) who are saying "head gasket", we don't know where the leak is yet...
Ok, I'll check the oil first.
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #21
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Wait...the first question I have is the Jeep still running? Have you tried it, even if just starting it for a moment to search for any leaks?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
TEXAS_TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboelts View Post
Wait...the first question I have is the Jeep still running? Have you tried it, even if just starting it for a moment to search for any leaks?
Yes, the Jeep still runs. I just have to fill the radiator with water first and take along spare gallons. Seems to make it 3-5 miles before it starts getting hot due to the radiator leak.
Unread 09-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just don't see how you block cracked overheating once. If you drove it all day I would say yea but, just a few minutes I don't see how. My watermpump went out and I drove it at 260 for almost 10 miles to get it home. All it did was compromise the thermostant and I went ahead and changed my fan clutch while I was at it. Changed my oil just to be safe and it looked really good. Jeep runs like new. 5,800 is alot of money to replace that engine when you can buy a drop in stroker from Chad Golen for 4,200 to 4,500 depending upon your year 4.0L. Like others said get it away from Firestone those lube monkeys don't know anything. I don't think they are even ASE lol.
Unread 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #24
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

At most you would have done was blow a head gasket being its iron on iron setup not saying it can't but, the chances are really slim.
Unread 09-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

If it is running, not missing, or chugging or anything like that...engine is not the issue. I would get it out of there, fix the overheating issues by putting in a stock rad, stock pump, thermo, and stock cap on it. Then run it and see what happens. I would NOT take the advice of some place that just randomly says the engine is bad with no proof. Especially not one of the 4.0 blocks

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #26
Speed94
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just replaced my block with new water pump, hoses, thermostat, head, for under 3k including labor and warranty...
97 TJ PD club member #007
Speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If it checks out that they were indeed lying to you I would go as far as filing a complaint with the local BBB. You might save a neighbor a lot of money down the road.
JealousDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #28
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Firestone...........now thats the ticket!

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #29
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Contrary to the opinion expressed earlier, the "block test" is a tester that uses a special fluid that changes color in the presence of combustion gases. You fill the tester with the fluid, remove the radiator cap, and place the tester in the radiator opening with the engine running. If there are combustion gases in the coolant, the special fluid will change color. Typically one of a few things will allow combustion gases to get into the coolant - a bad head gasket, a cracked head (cracked from the combustion chamber into a cooling pocket in the head) or a cracked block (typically a crack in the cylinder wall that passes through into a water jacket). This may be why they said you have a cracked block, which is possible, but not as likely as the other two scenarios. Note: the earlier poster was describing what is commonly called a "cooling system pressure test".

Even if it is just a head gasket, you should have the head checked for flatness. Yes, it's cast iron, but it's an awfully long piece of cast iron - inline 6 (or more) cylinder engines have always been more prone to warping a head if overheated due to the length of the casting. The shorter casting of a V6 or V8 engine is less prone to warping since it is compact and therefore more resistant to twisting.

Bottom line, pull the head and find out what is going on. Be aware that crack in the cylinder wall can often be so subtle that it's difficult to see.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Firestone is the worst place to take your ride. They will lie and rape you with a smile on their face. Never heard of a block test. Sounds like something they made up. Run as fast as you can from them.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
block , block test , engine , motor , stroker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.