HELP!!4.0 will crank but wont (start)! only on second try - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP!!4.0 will crank but wont (start)! only on second try

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
staralfur
2000 TJ Wrangler 

HELP!!4.0 will crank but wont (start)! only on second try

2000 tj 4.0. 42k miles.

i started to have this issue about a month ago. i changed out the spark plugs, figuring that with 40k on the stock ones that may be the problem.

needless to say, still having the issue.

truck cranks hard(not the battery) the motor is definately spinning(rules out the starter), but wont fire up.

ill crank the ignition for a while the first time and it will not start.
crank it immediately after and it fires up perfectly. EVERY time.

im stumped. truck runs great besides the starting issue.

i was told its the fuel filter OR the crank position sensor.

has anyone had this problem? please help

Unread 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It could be the anti-drain back valve in the fuel pump. What it does is exactly what the name implies, it keeps the fuel from draining back into the tank when the engines off. It could be bad, and the fuel pump just has to take some extra time to get the fuel back up to the engine. I'm assuming you don't drive this Jeep very often being it only has 42k miles, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was it.

What you can try is just turn the key to the on position and leave it there for 3 seconds; do this a couple of times and then start it. This will prime the fuel system and get you going.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the exact same thing, but only when it's warm. When the engine is cold, it fires right up on the first try, even if it's been sitting for a week. So I really doubt it's the check valve.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
staralfur
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the replies!!!

i am the 2nd owner. the PO didnt drive the jeep too often. i on the other hand use it as a daily now.

hot, warm or cold the problem is the exact same symtoms.

could the drain back just have gone bad from previously sitting for long periods of time?
i have owned the truck for 4 months now and up untill a few weeks ago all as been well.
Unread 06-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by staralfur View Post
i have owned the truck...
Prepare to be flamed.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by staralfur View Post
thanks for the replies!!!

i am the 2nd owner. the PO didnt drive the jeep too often. i on the other hand use it as a daily now.

hot, warm or cold the problem is the exact same symtoms.

could the drain back just have gone bad from previously sitting for long periods of time?
i have owned the truck for 4 months now and up untill a few weeks ago all as been well.
The possibility that it's a leaky anti-drainback valve inside the pressure regulator atop the fuel pump is high in my book. This is a common enough problem with Jeeps that it's certainly in the top 10 most common problems asked about here on JF.

A quick way to know if that valve is the likely problem is this... the next time you believe the Jeep would be slow to start, do this before starting it: Open the hood and look at the fuel rail that is connected over the top of the fuel injectors. On that fuel rail is a Schraeder valve which is exactly like an oversized tire stem valve. Unscrew the black plastic cap and after placing a towel underneath, push on the valve stem and see if the fuel is still under pressure. If the fuel spews out under pressure and takes probably ten or more seconds to drain, the anti-drainback valve is fine and not leaking. But if the fuel barely dribbles out, before attempting to start your engine, odds are that fuel pressure has been drained off by the anti-drainback valve.

If the fuel pressure inside the fuel rail is strong and the engine still doesn't start quickly, the anti-drainback valve is not the problem. If the fuel barely dribbles out of the Shraeder valve on the fuel rail and the engine has the slow-start problem, I'd have to assume its the anti-drainback valve that is allowing the fuel to drain down out of the fuel rail which will cause a slow start.

The reason it starts faster the second time is that the fuel pump probably had enough time to get the fuel back up to the fuel rail by that time.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
staralfur
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ok great. im going to test this if it ever stops raining in NY.

i really appreciate the help!
Unread 06-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
George Dickel

1998 TJ Wrangler 

fuel pressure tester

On the same port that Jerry just spoke of, you can buy or rent a fuel pressure gauge from your local parts store and connect it there for exact psi readings. I did this while chasing an issue unrelated to yours and ended up permanently installing a nice glycerin filled gauge. Not only does it look really cool, I can see my exact fuel pressure at any time. Good luck.
GD
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa...ature=youtu.be

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
staralfur
2000 TJ Wrangler 

so i finally tested the fuel pressure from the valve on the rail.

first time fuel came out - truck started right up.

then i let it sit for an hour or so and tried it again

nothing came out.
i cranked it as if i were trying to start it but didnt crank it a second time.
tested the valve and fuel came out.
proceeded to crank it again and it fired right up.

so i am going to have to believe that its the anti drain back valve.

any good DIYs on changing it? easy to do? expensive?

thanks again for all your help guys.

i may buy a fuel pres gauge just to keep an eye on it.
Unread 06-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's cheaper if you do it yourself. 222.00 from Orileys.
You will need a floor jack, hand tools, close to an empty tank and plenty of cold beer.
wushaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
GunmetalTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

lol @ plenty of cold beer
GunmetalTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
staralfur
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, done. tank is down in 15 minutes. its a LOT easier than it sounds!
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
2000Creeper

Im having a similar issue. My 2000 TJ acts like it wants to start. It cranks just wont turn over. I checked the starter and relay and those are up to spec. checked battery...fine. I had a No Bus code at one time, disconnected battery checked all connections and inspected grounds and code went away. seems like it only happens when it gets hot. Is there anyway it could be my solenoid or starter relay? Ive got 102k on it and recently had Transmission rebuilt. I have no idea where to begin looking. was told it might be a safety switch issue???? I disconnected battery and starter, left it for 2 or 3 days went out and it cranked right up. Drove about 20 miles went to a ball game came back out and it would not turn over. Can anybody shed a little light on this issue? Im wandering around in the dark
2000Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.