HELP!! 2001 Wrangler wont start! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP!! 2001 Wrangler wont start!

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
adrianmartin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

HELP!! 2001 Wrangler wont start!

It just cranks but wont start....Then after awhile it will....sometimes when idle it will just die. Its a 4.0 Any ideas?

adrianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
krahnilogikal
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Let me give you a little help here. If you want anyone to take you seriously and give you some help, take the time to become familiar with JF and how you should interact with it's members.

First, do this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fi...ofiles-402432/

and then read this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/je...-rules-421475/
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Has your battery been fully or sufficiently drained? Sometimes when the battery becomes adequately drained the computer needs to relearn to idle. This could take X amount of miles, but not terribly long. If this is the possible problem, it will get gradually better w/ each start & run over the course of a day as the computer calibrates.

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
-Wayne Gretzky
briguy3030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
adrianmartin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think its that because the battery seems to be fully charged, because it cranks really good....but then I don't know the first thing about this engine. Maybe I should try putting a new battery on just to try it? Thanks for the replies guys...I just bought this Jeep on Friday so I'm a real newbie.
adrianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Again I'm no engine mechanic but possibly could be the alternator or spark plugs Had the Jeep sat unused for an extended period of time @ somebody's home? Maybe bad fuel?

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
-Wayne Gretzky
briguy3030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
USAFRecon

Fuel pump? Sounds like maybe it's clogged or just dead.

Secondly to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krahnilogikal View Post
Let me give you a little help here. If you want anyone to take you seriously and give you some help, take the time to become familiar with JF and how you should interact with it's members.

First, do this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fi...ofiles-402432/

and then read this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/je...-rules-421475/
Was it really hard to just answer his question. He did say in his post he had a 4.0L so that shoudla been good enough to answer his problem. Then inform him to use search and fill in his profile.
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
krahnilogikal
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Actually, simply stating that you have a 4.0 doesn't tell me anything useful other than the fact that it is an internal combustion engine with 242 cubic inches of displacement. Anyone can throw out a suggestion like "check your plugs" or "clean your air filter" and that may help to solve the problem. However, knowing things like whether or not it is an auto or manual could help determine if the problem might be related to something like a neutral safety switch or clutch position switch. Knowing what year the vehicle is could help determine if it has a typical distributor and wires set up or if it uses the ignition rail (like the 2001 that he has vs. a 1997 with wires and a dist. cap). Also, when a new user signs up, doesn't fill out any details on his profile and his first post is as general as this was, it really doesn't show that he has done any research on his own before just creating a user account waving the help flag. Lastly, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I am trying to help the guy out. Not so much as in direct relation to his engine problem, but more in the realm of how he could go about earning a little respect from some of the more engine savvy guys that could help him. Those two stickies were put up by moderators for a reason. My apologies to the OP if I offended you. Best of luck with your repair.

Tags
cranks , no start , engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.