Hella Fog Lights ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hella Fog Lights ???

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hella Fog Lights ???

I just installed a set of Hella series 500 fog lights and they don't work. During my troubleshooting, I noticed that the wiring to the H3 bulb had the ground wire attached to the back of the bulb and the "hot" wire to the metal frame around the bulb. This was the same on both lights which came pre-wired with the bulb installed.

To me this doesn't seem right. Yet at the same time I don't want to just switch the wires, hit the switch and watch the bulbs blow.

Does anyone have experience with the H3 bulb? Like I said, this doesn't look right to me but what do I know!

IrishRED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
juggle9
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had problems with my installation on those too. I ended up using a toggle switch that does not light up. Ran all the wiring from the battery through the supplied fuse and relay. Just had to splice into the low beam constant. Some people use the parking lights so they can have on only the fog lights and not the head lights. I have thought about doing this, just don't know what wire is for parking constant, not blinkers.
As for the ground wires, I do remember having to ground each bulb indivudually to my frame. Have to go look, but I am pretty sure the way it came from the factory is correct. I will run out to the jeep and see if it is. Just give me a minute.
juggle9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
juggle9
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Man, I wish I had a camera here at work. Imagine this. If you are looking at back of the light, there are two wires, one blue and one white, (connects to a black power lead on mine). The blue wire is connected to the outer silver case of the lamp, and the white wire connects directly to the back of the bulb inside the case. The white connects to power on the relay, the blue is your ground. I ran it back under the hood and used a ground bolt something else was using. Hope that helps.
juggle9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
iceman123187
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you need to make sure your ground the switch or they wont work.
1999 TJ|3" Black Diamond Susp.| 1.25 JKS BL| 1" JKS BMML|33x12.50's| 15x8 Eagle Alloys| 4.88 Gears| D35 and Detroit Tru Trac in the rear| D30| NATES 4x4 front and rear bumpers| Hella 500's| HI Lift| Rattle Guard Bed Liner
iceman123187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggle9 View Post
Man, I wish I had a camera here at work. Imagine this. If you are looking at back of the light, there are two wires, one blue and one white, (connects to a black power lead on mine). The blue wire is connected to the outer silver case of the lamp, and the white wire connects directly to the back of the bulb inside the case. The white connects to power on the relay, the blue is your ground. I ran it back under the hood and used a ground bolt something else was using. Hope that helps.

So mine were wired wrong from the factory!! My blue ( ground ) wire was connected to the white wire to the back of the bulb while the black power wire went to the outer silver case. Yes the instructions did say to use the blue wire as the ground but I never checked the bulb wires themselves. Hope I didn't blow the bulbs with this mess.

I'll try switching them around tomorrow. Looks like I will have to recheck all the fuses and grounds again too as well as the switch and the relay. I did make sure the switch was grounded, as someone mentioned earlier.

I gotta say, I'm not impressed with Hella's documentation so far! In addition to this problem, the wiring diagram shows two different ways to attach the leads to the switch as well as being pretty vague in the first place.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day! Thanks for the tips!
Unread 04-23-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I grounded the blue wires directly to the bolt that holds them on the bumper.I wired mine into the high beams directly with no switch.That way my high beams are HIGH BEAMS.I got the Hella 500 driving lights.
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I figured out my problem. The grounds for my lights were no good. I'm guessing it was the powdercoat on the bar. I had the lights grounded to the mounting bolts. Other people here said they have done that and it worked but not for me. Once I moved them to a different grounding point all was well!

I am still very annoyed that the lights came wired backwards from the factory. Or maybe the lights were OK and the wiring diagram was messed up but it definately said to use the blue wire as the ground and that was the wire they had attached to the bulb!

Not very impressed with the documentation that came with these lights!
Unread 04-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
TOP HVY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a set of the Hella 500 driving lights and the install was a snap! I just removed the factory wiring from the back of the factory fogs, ran the factory wires into the back of the Hella fogs and plugged them right in. Couldn't believe they hooked up exactly the same as the stockers.

_______
--(O|||||||O)--

White Jeep Club Member #93
TOP HVY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP HVY View Post
I bought a set of the Hella 500 driving lights and the install was a snap! I just removed the factory wiring from the back of the factory fogs, ran the factory wires into the back of the Hella fogs and plugged them right in. Couldn't believe they hooked up exactly the same as the stockers.
That would have been nice but my TJ didn't have factory fog lights.

They look good and they work so I guess I can't complain too much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.