Helicoil for Stripped Front Caliper?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Helicoil for Stripped Front Caliper??

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doorsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 09-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
gtospeeding
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Helicoil for Stripped Front Caliper??

one of The threaded holes in my front spindle is stripped where the caliper bolts to it. Im going to need a helicoil but Im not sure where to find one any ideas who carries them?

99' 4.0 tj

gtospeeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
skruske
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do not bet your life on a ruined thread.

Replace the caliper & sleep well.

edit to add.... my misunderstanding. If the hole that stipped is in the caliper braket? Then I agree with Gary Jeep Mud, auto parts stores have a simple fix for this common problem.

Last edited by skruske; 09-04-2007 at 07:37 PM..
skruske is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
gary_jeep_mud
1978 CJ7 

I don' t know anything about helicoils, but when this happened to me I went to NAPA autoparts and bought oversized caliper bolts, they worked great. they come with locktite in the package. just tell them your make, model, and year, they stock thousands, thats what she told me. good luck.
-gary

I Wave, Do You????
gary_jeep_mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
gtospeeding
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_jeep_mud
I don' t know anything about helicoils, but when this happened to me I went to NAPA autoparts and bought oversized caliper bolts, they worked great. they come with locktite in the package. just tell them your make, model, and year, they stock thousands, thats what she told me. good luck.
-gary
an oversized bolt wouldnt fit thru the sleeve in the caliper
Unread 09-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Lostj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

same thing happened to me yesturday. I just got a couple helicoils that fit on the caliper bolts and got em on with those
lx015oɹd uǝpıun 'ɥɔuıʍ ql0009ɟɥ ؛ɹǝıɹɹɐɔ ǝɹıʇ pol 'sɹǝpuǝɟ ǝqnʇ pǝɹɐlɟ"5˙4ʇuʇ :˙ɔsıɯ ؛sɹǝpıls sʞɹoʍʞɔoɹɥs 'pıʞs ǝuıƃuǝ ɔıpǝɯdǝǝɾ 'pıʞs ɹoʇɐıpɐɹ s,ʎʇsnɹ 'ʞuɐʇsɐƃ puɐ xoq ƃuıɹǝǝʇs ʇɥƃıɹuǝƃ :spıʞs ؛pɐoɹɟɟo ɹoɟ sɹǝƃƃoq"53 'ʇǝǝɹʇs ɹoɟ s,ʇ/ɯdɯoɔoɹd"53 :sǝɹıʇ ؛lɯɯ"1 'lq"52˙1 'spq "2 :ʇɟıl ؛ɹǝʌoɔ uǝɯʞoɹ 'loods-ıuıɯ 'sǝʞɐɹq ɔsıp 'sʎollɐ ɥʇıʍ 44p ؛ɹǝʌoɔ ɹǝɥsnɹɔʞɔoɹ 'slɐǝs ǝlxɐ ɹǝʇno 'ɹǝʞɔol ǝıssnɐ 'sʎollɐ /ʍ 03p '6ı :ɾʇ,00
44p '03p '6ı :5ɾɔ,37
s,ʇ/ɐ ƃɟq"23 '44p '03p '8ʌ063 :5ɾɔ,47

The Swamp Things 4x4 Club Jeep Talk HomeGrown Offroad
Lostj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
gtospeeding
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostj
same thing happened to me yesturday. I just got a couple helicoils that fit on the caliper bolts and got em on with those

where did you buy the helicoils from?
Unread 09-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
kingvm
2005 WK 

Here is your magic potion.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hlight=caliper

I just did this about a month ago myself and it is a great kit with all parts needed and good directions.
Unread 09-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
gary_jeep_mud
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospeeding
an oversized bolt wouldnt fit thru the sleeve in the caliper
just the threads are oversized, they work.
-Gary

I Wave, Do You????
gary_jeep_mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
Lostj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i didnt buy em, my buddy had some already but ive seen em at a bunch of different autoparts stores and a couple "bolt specialty" shops
lx015oɹd uǝpıun 'ɥɔuıʍ ql0009ɟɥ ؛ɹǝıɹɹɐɔ ǝɹıʇ pol 'sɹǝpuǝɟ ǝqnʇ pǝɹɐlɟ"5˙4ʇuʇ :˙ɔsıɯ ؛sɹǝpıls sʞɹoʍʞɔoɹɥs 'pıʞs ǝuıƃuǝ ɔıpǝɯdǝǝɾ 'pıʞs ɹoʇɐıpɐɹ s,ʎʇsnɹ 'ʞuɐʇsɐƃ puɐ xoq ƃuıɹǝǝʇs ʇɥƃıɹuǝƃ :spıʞs ؛pɐoɹɟɟo ɹoɟ sɹǝƃƃoq"53 'ʇǝǝɹʇs ɹoɟ s,ʇ/ɯdɯoɔoɹd"53 :sǝɹıʇ ؛lɯɯ"1 'lq"52˙1 'spq "2 :ʇɟıl ؛ɹǝʌoɔ uǝɯʞoɹ 'loods-ıuıɯ 'sǝʞɐɹq ɔsıp 'sʎollɐ ɥʇıʍ 44p ؛ɹǝʌoɔ ɹǝɥsnɹɔʞɔoɹ 'slɐǝs ǝlxɐ ɹǝʇno 'ɹǝʞɔol ǝıssnɐ 'sʎollɐ /ʍ 03p '6ı :ɾʇ,00
44p '03p '6ı :5ɾɔ,37
s,ʇ/ɐ ƃɟq"23 '44p '03p '8ʌ063 :5ɾɔ,47

The Swamp Things 4x4 Club Jeep Talk HomeGrown Offroad
Lostj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:02 AM   #10
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Any good auto parts store (i.e. *NOT* Auto Drone) will have Helicoil stuff. The resulting repair is usually as strong as the original. Be prepared for sticker shock. I buy my Helicoil stuff at Winchester Auto Supply in Campbell, CA, but most NAPA ought to have it too. Get the "kit" with the drill bit and inserter.
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Helicoils are typically better in blind holes that have a bottom.

You are better served with a solid insert. I like the Timesert brand due to the flange, but they are so expensive and hard to buy in small quantities, about the only way to get them is to know someone at an auto shop that uses them.

If you do find some, the thread size is 8mm x 1.25 pitch. Just make sure you borrow the cutting tool to cut the counterbore for the flange.

A reasonable alternative is the EZ-Lok brand with the American external threads. Be aware that the dry patch loctite 271 on them is fairly useless and should be removed and liquid Red 271 Loctite used instead.

I did a lot of testing on the EZ-Loks after reading about some folks having issues and figured out a decent solution with the liquid. Also note that I tested the gel stick Red Loctite and found it didn't hold very well either.
Unread 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
GCJoe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I had a similar problem on my better half's Durango this weekend. I was able to get a tap from Napa and clean up the threads from the back side. The guy at Napa said if that didn't work they had a bolt with oversized self tapping threads made just for this issue. Lucky for me the tap worked. Good Luck!!
GCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #13
gtospeeding
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I went to my local NAPA they didnt have oversized caliper bolts for a jeep, only GM products.
Does anyone have a NAPA part # for oversized caliper bolts for a Wrangler?

Last edited by gtospeeding; 09-05-2007 at 08:13 PM..
Unread 09-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I went to my local NAPA they didnt have oversized caliper bolts for a jeep, only GM products. I dont get it
I've been pondering this my ownself. I'm trying to figure out how you get oversize threads through a sleeve that is the correct internal diameter without drilling out the sleeve, in which case I'd be a bit concerned about it's final strength and ability to work correctly.

Having played with a few hundred jeep calipers, I'm a tad confused.
Unread 09-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
gtospeeding
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_jeep_mud
-gary
dont listen to this guy, hes giving out FLASE info.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.