Heavyweight oil for my 2001? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heavyweight oil for my 2001?

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
TJSunny1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Heavyweight oil for my 2001?

So I have a 2001 with what I think is low oil pressure. At hot idle its at about 12psi and at 1300 RPM its at about 35 psi. What concerns me is when I do a hot start, it takes up to 7 or 8 seconds to create pressure and the check gauges light comes on.

I guess I have two questions: Is this normal? Would putting a heavier oil in help the problem?

I run 10w30 right now.

Thanks!

TJSunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
lwszabo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Heavier oil is not a good idea. The vehicle was designed for a certain oil and that's what it needs. You need to find out what the problem is and not try to mask it. Start with the cheaper stuff like sending units etc...good luck!
lwszabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
danb303
2005 WK 

How many miles?

Typical signs of worn bearings. I would go to a little thicker oil and give that a shot. Lots of people go to Rotella. Trying a new sending unit might be worth the $

I would try the Valvoline Racing oil VR-1. My brother swears by it, says it has quitened his down a lot.

Make sure you are using a good filter... I run Wix. I had an issue with a Mopar filter and haven't used one since
danb303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
lwszabo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb303
How many miles?

Typical signs of worn bearings. I would go to a little thicker oil and give that a shot. Lots of people go to Rotella. Trying a new sending unit might be worth the $

I would try the Valvoline Racing oil VR-1. My brother swears by it, says it has quitened his down a lot.

Make sure you are using a good filter... I run Wix. I had an issue with a Mopar filter and haven't used one since
Wix makes Mopar filters!
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Install a mechanical guage so you are taking a lot of guess work out of the diagnosis. Then report back what your "real" pressures are.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
lwszabo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwszabo

Wix makes Mopar filters!
Sorry I was wrong. Purolator makes Mopar
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
TJSunny1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

oh sorry. its got 127,XXX on the clock. And.....uhhh...a mysterious coolant leak..... But my oil shows no signs of contamination. Im gonna send a sample to blackstone though.
TJSunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb303 View Post
How many miles?

Are bearings easy to replace or is it a major overhaul?

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

YES to the above try 20-40 and see if that helps at that mileage it won't hurt the engine maybe mileage a little--I run 15/40 in mine in Arizona all the time at 30K miles
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
appfire
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSunny1 View Post
oh sorry. its got 127,XXX on the clock. And.....uhhh...a mysterious coolant leak..... But my oil shows no signs of contamination. Im gonna send a sample to blackstone though.
My '98 is doing the exact same thing. 2.5 motor with No noise or rattleing in the motor, low oil pressure after the motor warms up. Mechanical guage shows the same pressure as the factory guage. Small coolant leak, no signs anywhere. Used some castrol 20w50 for a few days and did not really make much difference in the pressure when it warmed up. Also used some gunk motor flush and that also did not make any difference. I am assuming worn bearings. Anybody else have any other ideas?

Chris
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
danb303
2005 WK 

Replacing the bearings is a major project.

What temp does your jeep run at?

If you can stay around 12-15 psi when hot then I wouldn't worry about it. LOTS of jeeps are riding around with the oil pressure that low... and LOTS of jeeps are running Rotella for that exact reason.
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
appfire
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Temp is normal, always just below the 210 mark when fully hot. Its never overheated. I add maybe a cup of antifreeze every other week. When the motor is fully hot, the pressure guage will be around 15-18 psi driving 55mph down the road.

Chris
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
appfire
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is rotella that much safer or better? What weight?

Chris
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by appfire View Post
Is rotella that much safer or better? What weight?

Chris
No, it's no better than any other quality motor oil.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
danb303
2005 WK 

It's just a HD 15w 40 motor oil. And its a quality motor oil. I don't use it but if I had one that was getting that close to 10 psi I certianly would try it. It's only around 14 bucks a gallon. Give it a shot

Tags
4.0 , check gauges , low oil pressure , oil , psi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.