Heavy Wheel Lifter Idea - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heavy Wheel Lifter Idea

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
mud_thrower87
1997 ZJ 

Heavy Wheel Lifter Idea

Hey everyone,
I am currently taking an engineering design and development class and am working on an idea for a product that could be used in off road situations or specifically for vehicles with heavy wheels. If you could please take a few moments of your time to answer a few multiple choice questions on a survey I made, it would be greatly appreciated, your input will be used to guide our concept and to eventually build a working prototype and maybe even beyond. We are hoping to get at least 100 responses between some of the major forums.

Thanks ahead of time!
This is the link to the survey, please give it a try: (It isn't long, I promise.)

https://docs.google.com/a/d155.org/s...NHY3c6MQ#gid=0

If you have any questions, I started everything in the cherokee forum, so check this thread if you have any major questions as there is a good chance I may have already answered it.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/hea...survey-156746/

Thanks again guys, if you have any suggestions let me know, and if possible, pass this survey onto your friends haha, it takes less than a minute to complete.

mud_thrower87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A few things.

Your link to the survey doesn't work.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this this and it won't help your project at all but I'll share it so others may read it and use it. I just use a floor jack to lift one side of the axle. I lift the axle up just enough so that I can just slide the wheel onto the studs. Tighten down lug nuts and repeat on the other side. I stopped trying to lift up the wheel and tire and line up the studs a long time ago.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
mud_thrower87
1997 ZJ 

I'm honestly sorry about that, it was an error on my part.

WORKING SURVEY LINK:
https://docs.google.com/a/d155.org/s...NHY3c6MQ#gid=0

And yeah I get what you mean, there are certain cases where you have to put the axles on stands though and the height doesn't come out quite right. But for the most part, that is an effective process for swaping out a single wheel, independently of the the others (Which is what we had in mind for the design). My shop jack is old and loses pressure so I have to use jack stands all the time, but most people shouldn't have to especially with a tall trail type jack. I don't know if you read the cherokee forum, but there have been many people who've suggested different techniques to mounting a wheel. As of now out of almost 40 people, over half (about 62%) think it is a good idea. We may end up developing a compact mini jack for lowering and lifting wheels from a rear tire carrier if this idea falls through, but thats all part of the process. If you honestly feel there is no need then show that in the survey. Haha that's the beauty of a survey, it tells you what people think even if its not always what you want to hear
Unread 12-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I find even a 35" tire with a beadlock isn't that bad, but you may find more useful responses from other people ...

Maybe for larger trucks and agricultural equipment this could be a viable idea?
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I do that even when all four tires are off the vehicle and its sitting on jack stands. Just remove or lower the jack stand on whatever side you're putting back on.

I've heard of wheel lifts before for use on significantly heavier wheel and tire combinations.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
mud_thrower87
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the input guys. And yeah, I realize that this may be more viable for larger "monster trucks" and tractors but I wanted to get feedback from jeep guys too. Generally the consensus is that if you haven't injured your back and your tires are 35" or less, you probably won't be extremely interested in a compact wheel lift/dolley because the wheels are still somewhat managable at that point. Haha I wonder how they change tires on those massive mining haul trucks?...
Anyway, are any of you aware of good lifted truck forums by any chance? There are so many that I don't know which one is worth signing up to and trying to get feedback on? :/
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
greasyrider
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bet you could make an air bladder set up in a nylon skin that would store flat and use a co2 cartridge for inflation of about four inches of lift or so. Like a 1' square when deflated maybe four long bladders inside a skin with a profile like OooO to kind of cradle the tire you could even print a ruler on one edge to compare hub hole to tread length with the hub to ground of the jacked up jeep.http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/data/4/idea.gif
greasyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
difficulty , tire , weight , wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.