Heavy LJ suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heavy LJ suspension

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 05-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Heavy LJ suspension

With my gf going back to work I should have some extra pocket money. My question is, what shocks/springs to run? Planning on PS Al armor all around (fenders are bent from po's and a bit of trail rash on my part, savvy UA, and sliders), bumpers/winch/two jerry cans, genright safari tank, and possibly a roof rack. Im planning on selling my ranger and buying a 6x10 utility trailer for dump runs, and during the winter its not unusual to carry a third of a pallet of fire logs (600 pounds). I plan on running skinny 33's, so I can hopefully put off regearing for a while (factory 4.10's/6spd). Ive been looking at OME 934/949 or 934/996 or should I look else where?

bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

OME is the right place. Look at Unlimited04s build.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
supbuckeye
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie
OME is the right place. Look at Unlimited04s build.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
This is what i just installed today. Went with the 2934 fronts and 2949 rears, rides a bit stiff right now but I plan on adding front & rear bumpers with tire carrier and some skid plates soon. So it should soften up a bit. Oh and i have soft top.
supbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondosgto View Post
With my gf going back to work I should have some extra pocket money. My question is, what shocks/springs to run? Planning on PS Al armor all around (fenders are bent from po's and a bit of trail rash on my part, savvy UA, and sliders), bumpers/winch/two jerry cans, genright safari tank, and possibly a roof rack. Im planning on selling my ranger and buying a 6x10 utility trailer for dump runs, and during the winter its not unusual to carry a third of a pallet of fire logs (600 pounds). I plan on running skinny 33's, so I can hopefully put off regearing for a while (factory 4.10's/6spd). Ive been looking at OME 934/949 or 934/996 or should I look else where?
Well, if you go with all alminum, it may weight 150-200 lbs which is really only another person riding around. When you get a small trailer, what another 400-600 pounds (guessing). 200+600+600=1400. That is well under the capacity of a LJ (3500 towing stock).

The slightly taller tires and gearing wont be too off to matter for the low weight of 1400 lbs.

I'm not sure about the spring/shocks you listed because I have never run them. You can look up their rating on a comparison chart and figure that part out. But I assume you would be using this trailer only occasionally, which I wouldn't think it would have a problem. As to the weight, remember you are just only carrying another person around all the time, except the person is solution pretty evenly around the jeep's 4 corners.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
msully
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Currie makes HD rear springs. That is what I run on my LJ.
msully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supbuckeye View Post
This is what i just installed today. Went with the 2934 fronts and 2949 rears, rides a bit stiff right now but I plan on adding front & rear bumpers with tire carrier and some skid plates soon. So it should soften up a bit. Oh and i have soft top.
I have a hard top so there is weight difference.
Thanks guys, ill reread 04's build and talk to Dirk about a kit. Btw for trackbars jks or currie? Leaning towards currie for the minimal pruce difference, but dirk does have a good price for a all in one kit
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ome hd 2.5", bds 3", or re 3.5"s have a good spring rate for a heavy lj.
glfwda #6624
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
TheRealZ

Quote:
I have a very similiar setup to what your going to run, including armor,winch, rack, tow hitch for extra gear rack and towing etc. I run 233's up front and 942's out back. I also have a new set of 949's for the rear. Tried them out for a week and then swapped in the 942's.......which are themselves are a bit stiffer than alot of people give them credit for.

I load up my wrangler with a ton of gear a couple times a month and the 942's are the best compromise spring IMO. 949's are spine jarring stiff. With 942's the ride is compliant enough when unloaded, but strong enough to handle alot of weight for the 2-3 occassional trips per month I do.

Unloaded, but with armor, winch, hartop and roof rack on the 933/942 combo has the exact same factory rake, but when loaded up with full gear and 4 passengers it sits very level.

949 springs while great for constant heavy loads(3-400 pounds)are terrible if you value ride quality on a daily basis when its just passengers in the front and no real heavy gear in the back. Same for off roading. They are a much shorter thicker gauge spring. The 942's are a much longer spring that uses the same rate as a factory Rubicon's and LJ's which itself is still a pretty stiff 160lbs. rating. 949's are basically 220lbs. ratings. Thats brutally stiff. So ask yourself how often will it really be loaded down. If you doing a few trips in the winter with wood loaded up, and towing a utility trailer here and there for odd jobs etc.....the 942's might very well be a much better choice, especially if its goin to be a DD most of the time.
TheRealZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
supbuckeye
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealZ
I have a very similiar setup to what your going to run, including armor,winch, rack, tow hitch for extra gear rack and towing etc. I run 233's up front and 942's out back. I also have a new set of 949's for the rear. Tried them out for a week and then swapped in the 942's.......which are themselves are a bit stiffer than alot of people give them credit for.

I load up my wrangler with a ton of gear a couple times a month and the 942's are the best compromise spring IMO. 949's are spine jarring stiff. With 942's the ride is compliant enough when unloaded, but strong enough to handle alot of weight for the 2-3 occassional trips per month I do.

Unloaded, but with armor, winch, hartop and roof rack on the 933/942 combo has the exact same factory rake, but when loaded up with full gear and 4 passengers it sits very level.

949 springs while great for constant heavy loads(3-400 pounds)are terrible if you value ride quality on a daily basis when its just passengers in the front and no real heavy gear in the back. Same for off roading. They are a much shorter thicker gauge spring. The 942's are a much longer spring that uses the same rate as a factory Rubicon's and LJ's which itself is still a pretty stiff 160lbs. rating. 949's are basically 220lbs. ratings. Thats brutally stiff. So ask yourself how often will it really be loaded down. If you doing a few trips in the winter with wood loaded up, and towing a utility trailer here and there for odd jobs etc.....the 942's might very well be a much better choice, especially if its goin to be a DD most of the time.
Yeah im debating my decision of buying the 2949. Its def stiff but not too bad but i attribute that to not having a heavy bumper yet either. Guess I dont know what Im missing with the 2942s. I was really going off of advice from others
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
TheRealZ

Quote:
Yeah im debating my decision of buying the 2949. Its def stiff but not too bad but i attribute that to not having a heavy bumper yet either. Guess I dont know what Im missing with the 2942s. I was really going off of advice from others
It all depends how you look at it. Are you lifting where "absolute" lift height achieve is the most important consideration? Or are you doing it just to gain an even lift front to back where total travel and ride quality are the priorities.

Some people need to lift because they are trying to fit X size tires under their fenders without rubbing, so they need to make sure that the springs are stiff/long enough to allow for that.

I don't have that issue. I lifted to try and gain a bit more front to rear uniform ground clearance under the belly and to gain more total up/down suspension travel WHILE IMPROVING overall ride quality and utility ability. Whether or not I gained 2" or even a bit more or less for me was not a big deal(I gained a solid 2" up front, 2.5" out back when unloaded). But ride quality is. For my rig which has full armor,bumpers, winch, larger spare,hardtop and a heavy full body rack the 2933/2942 combo gave me a nice uniform lift, maintained tha factory rake when unloaded, gives me a better than factory ride and still allows me to load up all the seating,the rear ,top rack and tow hitch occasionally without the rear dragging(it sits basically level then and I have about 1.5" lift at that point over the original stock equipment)............which I gathered to be about 1200 pounds in total. But most importantly is that whether I ride unloaded or loaded up, the ride quality is excellent. With those 2949's out back, unloaded the ride to me was terrible, and it was still pretty darn stiff loaded up compared to the 2942's. 2949's are also IMO too stiff for the typical twin and mono tube shocks available for the wrangler. Most of the shocks available work best with spring rates in the 140-180lb. range..........beyond 180 they start to become mismatched IMO and the shocks wear prematurely.
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
TheRealZ

Quote:
To me springs are relatively cheap and are easy to swap out. Never hurts to experiment and mix and match to find the IDEAL combo for your setup. Thats why I bought 2 sets of rear springs to see for myself.
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

with the LJ, the 949s are the right choice w/ rear overhang, hard top, a heavy hitch bumper & spare tire. I carry a metric crapload of gear sometimes, and I installed airbags to compensate for the extra weight, and effectively increase spring rate even more. In the summer, I also drive around with a soft top and no gear in back....and I agree the 949s get stiff at that point. The 949s are rather short unloaded, but they don't unseat with OME's shocks, so it's not really an issue.

Sometimes I tow a trailer loaded with crap, and my Jeep is loaded with crap...and the airbags are pumped up to increase spring rate.

In this pic, theres is somewhere over 500lbs in back of the Jeep and a homemade rack full of firewood...it sank over 3" off ride height, airbags pumped up regained about 1".

But the next week, I can have a light Jeep, with a soft top on and no extra weight...so the rear sits a bit taller.

So basically, for an LJ:
If you have a soft top and not a lot of heavy crap on the rear end (bumper, tire carrier, steel gas tank skid, towing, etc)...then get 942s.
If you have a hard top, heavy crap, carry a load or passengers often....then get 949s.

As said, it's also not hard to change them out if you decide 942s or 949s is too little or too much. Also check out other rear spring manufacturers....somebody may offer something in between 160 lbs/in and 216 lbs/in with good unloaded lengths. Airbags can also let you adjust your spring rate a little bit as you increase load on the rear end....but they are high maintenance.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
supbuckeye
2007 JK Wrangler 

How about soft top, rear tire carrier & full size spare and only me?

942? Or stay with my 949? Its sitting pretty level now with 934/949 setup but of course it doesnt ride like my airbag other suv suspension
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Guess im on the fence still. Lj, hard top, full armor, safari tank, dump run one a month, haul logs twice a month for 6 months. Pulls dd status during the snow and what I take on long trips.
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How about soft top, rear tire carrier & full size spare and only me?

942? Or stay with my 949? Its sitting pretty level now with 934/949 setup but of course it doesnt ride like my airbag other suv suspension
leave the 949s...IMHO.

Quote:
Guess im on the fence still. Lj, hard top, full armor, safari tank, dump run one a month, haul logs twice a month for 6 months. Pulls dd status during the snow and what I take on long trips.
steel armor? if so, i'd suggest 996's....which are even stiffer than 949s. they're like 250 lbs/in or something.

a friend of mine had an LJ w/ heavy steel tire carrier, steel gas tank skid and full steel armor....949s weren't enough, the rear sagged bad just driving around town, w/ 934s up front. He ended up doing the Nth degree rear spring relocation to gain extra height in the rear....this was before 996s were even an option.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.