Heater stays on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater stays on

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 04-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Heater stays on

My friend has a 98 TJ that blow warm air continually. If he turns up the temp on the heater it gets hotter in the cab (like its suppose to), but when he turn the temp to cool it blows warm. It seems to fight the A/C. I was thinking that it was a bad blend door (not closing all the way). We manually closed it but it still blows warm. I know taking the heater out for repairs is a real PITA as you have to remove the complete dash.

I told him to install a heater core isolation valve on the heater hose to stop the hot water from getting in the heater core. This is a "redneck" fix but might work.

Any thoughts????

Unread 04-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

May be something blocking the blend door from closing fully. Twigs are common.

You may actually be feeling heat from the catalytic converters coming through the firewall.

I had a similar problem in the summer with the top off. Shoving a towel under the dash in the area above the tunnel gave me some relief.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
wesboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The OPs friend has AC so a twig wouldn't get past the evaporator to sabotage the blend door but something could have fallen down one of the vents (especially the vent at the top of the dash). I know for sure I've got a nut, a screw and a rubber grommet fall down there - just lucky they haven't messed with the blend door yet.

Pulling the dash is a lot of work just to get some junk out of the heater box.
If your friends 98 still has the original heater core it may be a good time to swap that out to make a big job worthwhile.

To truly isolate the heater core, an isolation valve would be needed on each heater hose. I know it's supposed to flow in one direction but if you put valve on one hose, there's nothing to stop hot coolant running back up the other hose into the heater core.

Or run a bypass hose if you don't need the heater at all.
The inlet and outlet hoses are different sizes - 5/8 and 11/16 - but I'm not sure which is which - both my hoses are marked 'IN'
I ran a short length of 3/4" hose from the thermostat to a brass connector (red arrow), then another length of 5/8" hose around the air intake to the other heater hose connector tube (yellow arrow) which is attached the to the water pump housing.

heater-bypass-2-copy.jpg

I probably didn't need to run the hose around the air intake - was just trying to avoid kinks in the hose.

EDIT: The original heater hoses are in the pic, just not connected.
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Correct me if I am wrong. Does the Cherokee have a three way valve that I could do about the same thing.?
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It was a bad blend door connection.
thanks for all input.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.