Heater shut-off valve - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater shut-off valve

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
chilipepperjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Heater shut-off valve

All of my wheeling is done in the desert where 100+ temps are common in the summer. My wife likes to go with me, but draws the line at no top or AC in those kinds of temps. So in the interest of not going by myself its hard top on, AC blasting. (truth be told I'm not very fond of top off either ) On our last 100+ degree outing the HVAC system was acting up. In the process of trying to figure out why the heat wouldn't shut off and the AC wouldn't blow through the vents I found that the heater control only adjusts the air flow over the heater core. For some reason I thought there would be a valve on the heater supply line that controlled the flow. I'm sure I'm dating myself and its been done for decades, but I was surprised.

Is there any reason not to put a cut of valve on the heater supply line? The stock AC is already on the edge of being totally inadequate it would seem keeping the heater core cold would be of some help.

chilipepperjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepperjeep View Post

Is there any reason not to put a cut of valve on the heater supply line? The stock AC is already on the edge of being totally inadequate it would seem keeping the heater core cold would be of some help.
Most engines use a bypass hose or are cast with a bypass hole. This bypass allows a small amount of coolant to circulate which keeps the engine a uniform temp. W/o the bypass you will get hot spots.

Unfortunatly the 2.5 and 4.0 do not use a bypass hose or a cast hole. They use the heater hoses and heater core as the coolant bypass. Putting a valve in the heater hose would shut off the bypass and may cause damage.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Bills03tj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It should be possible to put a heater control valve off of a Ranger in the heater hoses. It allows bypass flow. Ford sets it up to bypass the heater core when it's on max ac. All you'd have to do is tee into the recirc door vac line and run a line to the valve.
Bills03tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The early XJ's used the same type of heater valve. With the heater off the coolant went to the valve then back to the engine.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ac , a/c , heater , vent , shut off , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.