Heater problem - not the switch! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater problem - not the switch!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Heater problem - not the switch!

Sorry for the repeat posting but I'm just not getting any answers. I'm hoping someone new might take a look.

My heat cuts on and off. At first I thought it was a bad switch so I replaced it. Now I see that the plastic port (connector) that hooks onto the control knob (the one that changes the air to feet, head, defogger etc.) is a little melted. When I give those wires a tug from within the glove box, it either comes on or cuts off. How do I go about replacing these wires and that connector? I don't know what it's called... or where the wires lead.

BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
A2SuperCrew
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds like the same place mine melted. The right hand switch that changes from vent to defrost, etc. I ended up taking the melted plug off and individually reconnecting each spade to the switch. A light tweak with needle nose pliers made sure everything was tight. A drop of solder may make it an even better connection.
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
chapman53559
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem on my 2000. A/C and heater cut off. I replaced everything I could think of and still no good. It ended up being a burnt ground wire in the dash. The dealer found and fixed it.
chapman53559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 06:12 AM   #4
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Seriously? You can just connect the wires directlly? I'll have to look into that. I suppose I could take the plug and go to the dealer with it and see what they suggest. Does anyone know what this piece is called?
Unread 02-12-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Jackle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the dealer doesn't have it as just that one piece.....its part of a cluster of pieces that are like $200......and mine did the same exact thing that you are speaking of. as A2SuperCrew said.......just reconnect them......i think you actually need to break off the plastic connector that connects the ELECTRICAL wires.....(make sure you don't break the plastic on the connector with like 8 tubes....these are vacuum lines and you will hate yourself after if you break them) then you need to cut the very end of the burnt wires off and put your own spade connector on.....then just simply push them back onto the switch block.....it's actually SUPER easy once you see it up close with that melted connector off
Jackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
A2SuperCrew
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's how mine looked!

I just removed the plug body, and reconnected each individual spade. (After cleaning off all the melted plastic of course)

Unread 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
AshsUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced the heater resistor and still had issues I found that the wiring harness at the heater itself can become loose because it is exposed to being kicked. And yes it gets very hot behind the dash. I have had issues with my jeep starting properly because of melted wires.
AshsUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I guess I'll try that.
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would not put the connectors on without the black plastic clip. It keeps the wires sepperated and holds the wires on. You can clean the burnt plastic off the connectors and find another plastic clip at a salvage yard.
Cuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #10
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Although it may be part of a harness you can still go to the dealer and get just the connector. It certainly wouldnt hurt to see if it does come with the complete harness (meaning just the switch wiring). It could have a connector another foot or so further down the harness.

They have an entire book of just connectors so you get the correct one.

Once you get the correct one, get a couple as spares.
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got the black connector from a parts guy at a dealer in Lewisville, Texas. He said he has seen this connector melt on alot of Wranglers. He cuts them off of all the Wranglers he comes across in salvage years, gave me one for a twelve pack. I just sanded the melted plastic off the connectors and inserted them into the plastic connector he sold me. Another parts guy at the dealer said not to leave it on HIGH for very long after the cab gets warm. We'll see how long this last.
Unread 09-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
BigJoshStud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing. Gonna have to check this problem on my 98
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I looked this thread up to copy and paste for someone in another thread, the picture of the melted switch in post #6.
Thought I would report that my connector has not melted again so far. I only leave it on high for maybe 5 min max.
The #3 setting has gone out on the cheap *** switch, but I can push on it to get it working. If another setting goes out then I will replace it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.