Heater problem on '97 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater problem on '97

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
tecumsa

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Heater problem on '97

I know the problem, and the fix, but wanted to see if anyone here has an idea why it's happening so often, and if there is a better fix than what I've been doing.

When you change the air direction to the main vents (2nd position on the slider) an actuator moves a plastic link that moves the deflector door. That link keeps snapping where it connects to the deflector door. I've replaced it 3 or 4 times, and have to do it again.

I have no idea what happens to the little piece that breaks off, but I'm betting those pieces will start causing me problems some day as well, but removing the box is one major bugger that would keep my baby out of service for a long time (and possibly beyond my skills).

tecumsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
TJSE1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

One of mine was broken before and it has more stress on it if you change the vents while the air is on high. I turn the air all the way down to the first notch and then switch vents

1997 SE with 4.5" of lift on 33's
TJSE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Since breaking one of mine with the fan on high, I too turn the blower down to the slowest speed before changing the vent controls.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
tecumsa

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hadn't considered that as a possibility, but considering how thin the part is that makes some sense.

Do you guys leave the broken part in the box, or do you have an easy way to get it out?
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled the broken shaft out with a self tapping screw and the tiny bit that broke off, the retaining tab, is either still in the box or has been blown out of one of the vents. As it's small and plastic I suspect it's been blown out.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
tecumsa

1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks
Unread 11-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
TJSE1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used a 3" deck screw

Unread 11-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
tecumsa

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSE1997 View Post
I used a 3" deck screw

How did you use a deck screw to replace the plastic connector? I've been trying to figure it out to no good.
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
TJSE1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled the broken piece out with it

Unread 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
deadbiker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My 97 takes in leaves due to the cowl being more open than other years.Dig around inside the box,see if its packed with leaves or other debris that will jam the doors and break the levers.as for the deck screw extraction method, crawl up under there and screw directly into whats left of the broken lever.when you have a good couple of threads in,you should be able to pull the broken piece out(with some force) good luck!
deadbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
tecumsa

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got it done. Just used a screwdriver to break it, then a paperclip to push the other end through. PIA task when you can't see what you're doing, and have to do everything by feel. Haven't done that since Tracy in high school.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.