Heater not getting hot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater not getting hot

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-14-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
PrncssGeek

Heater not getting hot

The air actually coming from the heater is not getting hot or even warm. The heater core seams fine, not leaking water. I replaced the thermostat tonight and its still not getting warm.

When I had the CAT removed, could it have messed up something with the heater getting warm? I know there is an O2 sensor somewhere connected to the CAT, isn't there?

Normally it wouldn't be an issue but the weather took a nasty turn for cold and I have a toddler who rides with me on a regular basis. And there is a new baby that will be here in two weeks, so I kinda need the heat back.

BTW....its a 97 with the 2.5 engine. Earlier this year the rad, water pump, head gasket, all hoses and fan were replaced. 2 months ago the CAT was removed.

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on what is going on.

Thanks!

Last edited by PrncssGeek; 12-14-2005 at 11:30 PM..
PrncssGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2005, 12:20 AM   #2
Niles

I am not getting the heat like I should be as well, but my problem is that its not as hot as I would like. I would make sure that the coolant level is where its supposed to be. Is your radiator bottle full to the mark? Does your temp guage go to 210 degrees when warmed up? On my 97, the warm/cold selector is a slide. It moves a lever on the passanger side under the dash, make sure yours moves when you slide (or how ever yours works) between hot and cold temp choices. If everything is as its supposed to be, maybe the heater core is clogged up. I'm guessing thats what my problem is. I have a new radiator and water pump as well. If you figure it out, be sure to post the solution.
Unread 12-15-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
PrncssGeek

Radiator full, proper mix of coolant, that all got changed tonight when I replaced the thermostat. I really thought that was the problem, but no help.

Temp does not go up to 210, its barely reaching about 170, but when they removed the CAT he told me it would operate at a lower temp.

I've checked the slide and the door it operates, both are working fine.

Maybe it is the heater core is clogged, any suggestions on how to unclog it or would getting a new one be a better idea?

Someone told me a couple of weeks ago there was a way to by pass the slide control and pump warm air into the jeep all the time, but I can't remember who told me how to do it or even what to do.

I would be happier with warm air instead of air mixed with ice!
Unread 12-15-2005, 12:41 AM   #4
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

on other vehicles there is a valve which opens to let coolant into the heater core, you might have disconeced the linkage or wire, not sure how it works.

Hope that helps
Unread 12-15-2005, 01:14 AM   #5
PrncssGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagofva
on other vehicles there is a valve which opens to let coolant into the heater core, you might have disconeced the linkage or wire, not sure how it works.

Hope that helps
Thanks! Didn't think about that....I'll track that down tomorrow when its not like ice in the garage. Looks like I'll be home most of the day as we are supposed to be getting an ice storm here tonight.
Unread 12-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
Niles

Not sure why you would want to remove the cat, with it missing, it will cause a lot of other problems. Since its gone, yes there is an O2 sensor beside it, and that will foul things. I don't think it will change the engine temp, but I really don't know. I do know that if the motor never reaches the 210 degrees, the computer will keep the fuel mixture rich to compensate for the motor not being up to temp, and the rich mixture is not good. Did you get a lower temp thermostat put in when it was replaced? I think that to unclog the heater core, you should remove the two heater hoses going into the core, and flush with a garden hose. I personally wouldn't want to put too much pressure into it, as if it is weak, you might blow a hole in it. My understanding is that it is a nasty and expensive job to replace it, as the dash must come out to complete the job. That said, I don't think the engine only hitting 170 degrees would prevent the heater from working. I have not heard of any by pass techniques, but might be interested if one exists. You might try asking ( translated PM) a moderator directly, they are very knowledgable and seem to always have the correct answer. Jerry Bransford, igofshn, or BigWaylon are good bets.
Unread 12-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First off was the replacement thermostat a 195 degrees one. If not buy another one and replace it again. The TJ engine needs to run that hot to work properly.

The heater core in the TJ is always being circulated with coolant so theres nothing you could've messed up. Chances are your core is plugged up with crap. Disconnect both hoses to it and flush it in both directions with a garden hose. A bunch of crap should come out. Then just reconnect the hoses top off the coolant and you should be good to go. You can get a heater core flushing kit at your local auto store to make it easier to connect to the hose.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
PrncssGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles
Not sure why you would want to remove the cat, with it missing, it will cause a lot of other problems.

Removed the cat because I destroyed it when I blew the water pump and head gasket. All the shops around here wanted over $1000 to fix/replace it and at the time I didn't have the cash. Not that I do now either. So when it refused to go any further while it was being taken to the shop by my daughter (with toddler in tow) a nice guy following her with a tow truck offered to remove it until I could come up with the cash to fix it.

What other problems could removing the cat cause? It actually seems to be running much better now. I haven't noticed any difference with horsepower or fuel usage, they are both about the same. Milage actually went up a little. So what else am I messing up?

So since the temp of the engine needs to be at 195 getting a thermostat thats rated 195 would make the temp raise to 195 before opening right? Ok, just checked the thermostat that I put in it yesterday...it is 195 degrees. How much of an effect would the outside temp being 33 degrees have on the engine not heating up to 195?

So I guess the next step is flushing the heater core.

I remember when they replaced the radiator (prior to the water pump blowing and blowing the head gasket) the guy said he flushed it for about an hour before he gave up getting all the junk out of the system. So its a safe bet that some of that junk ended up in the heater core, right?

On a side note, my daughter called up the parts house and asked if they had the heater core flushing kit and the price. She was told 397, my wonderful daughter assumed that they meant $397, not $3.97. It was really funny. Then she proceeded to tell him she didn't have a clue, that Mom was the mechanic in the family. Which I found funny since I stopped working on cars when they put the new computers in them. Give me something from the 60's and I'm great.

So today I will flush the heater core and pray.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful help. I hope something works. I'll keep you posted providing I don't freeze while flushing the heater core or driving to the parts house!
Unread 12-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrncssGeek
So since the temp of the engine needs to be at 195 getting a thermostat thats rated 195 would make the temp raise to 195 before opening right? Ok, just checked the thermostat that I put in it yesterday...it is 195 degrees. How much of an effect would the outside temp being 33 degrees have on the engine not heating up to 195?
It should reach operating temp no matter what the temperature is outside. Mine shows 210 on the temp gauge on the dash with a 195 degree thermostat. The thermostat keeps the coolant from circulating through the radiator until it reaches 195 degrees.

Did the temp go to 210 before the cat was removed?? If not it could just be that the temp sender is bad or the thermostat isn't working right still. After you flush out the heater core remove the radiator cap and start the Jeep. No coolant should be circulating through the radiator at this time.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
o2tj

2001 XJ Cherokee 

are your heater hoses hot? if so you prob have a blend door problem. the doors control the amount of heat in coming out. also if you have ac you might have a heater control valve gone bad.
o2tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2005, 11:22 PM   #11
Niles

02 tj. where is that heater control valve located? A pix would be appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.