Heater minus the heat. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater minus the heat.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Heater minus the heat.

'99 4 cyl 5 speed Wrangler

I know I've been kind of bombing this forum with lots of questions lately, sorry

But I don't know where else to ask.

My heater doesn't get hot, at all.

I remember it getting warm once (only time I ever used it), since then I drained the radiator (and only the radiator yucky brown coolant) and since then it's never been the same.

I'm guessing air, but I've already bled the system multiple times and no more air bubbles are showing up.

Neither of the heater hoses get warm. The upper radiator hose does get warm, but it doesn't get pressurized at all.

I can seriously drive for an hour, and open the radiator cap and it won't spray out or anything.

I do know the radiator was replaced with the previous owner due to it "blowing up", but that wouldn't cause them to touch the t-stat would it?

My only guesses are bad t-stat, air, or just a faulty heater core (even though it did work before the radiator drain).

Any guesses, suggestions?

Oh yeah, since the recent cold front (temps <75) the temp gauge has been constant at what I'm guessing is 195ish.

Before that thoug, temps around 85-90, with the AC on and driving around 40mph it would be just a slight hair below 210. Idling with AC 215ish.

What's going on?

Achped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have a bad T-stat. Just because they replaced the radiator is no guarantee that the thermostat wasn't replaced. I'd start there. If that doesn't work I'd check the heater core. You could have a blockage or it could be leaky. Any leaks under the dashboard?

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would say the t-stat, but the upper radiator hose gets warm instantly, like it just opened, and it gets warm right about where the temp gauge would be at 195. It just doesnt get pressurized.

I'll check it out, i just really hate t-stats...they always fall down as you're trying to put them in place and leak and bleh

How can you check the heater core?

No leaks.
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #4
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'd start with the T-stat simply because they probably didn't change it and it's the most obvious. I hate changing them too.

Were the hoses themselves changed? It's strange that you aren't getting any pressure and I'm wondering about a blockage of some sort since the coolant had obviously been neglected at some point.

As for the heater core, if you aren't getting any leaks that's a good sign but unfortunately heater cores start to go right around the age your Jeep is. I'd start with the other things and eliminate them. They are cheap fixes. If you change the hoses you'd definitely want to pull off the heater core hose and check that as well. When I change the hoses I change 'em all.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2005, 10:13 PM   #5
CETROV

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Restricted heater core -

if it is restricted the heater hoses will not warm up - no circulation.

Pull both heater hoses off and run water direct into the heater core and force out all the crap that is in it.

This will work -

Kirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.