heater help: not the usual heater problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > heater help: not the usual heater problem

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
doug davis
1997 TJ Wrangler 

heater help: not the usual heater problem

I have a 97 4 cyl TJ with no AC.

The heat is marginal so I did the normal things: flushed the core, changed the thermostat, checked the operation of the diverter, mixture flap etc.

What I noticed is that when the mixture flap (temp control lever) is on full hot, the airflow through the outlets is severely restricted. Almost no air flows at all (what does flow is warm, however) When the temp lever is on cold, the blower moves massive amounts of air, probably triple the amount.

So my feeling is, the OUTSIDE air passage (not the internal pipes where the water flows) of the heater core has become blocked with debris somehow and airflow across it is very limited, thus producing very little heat.

Has anyone ever heard of this and know how to fix it without dismanteling the entire heater box? I was thinking about taping off all the dash outlets but one and blasting air backwards through the system with a backpack leaf blower to try to unblock the core.

Thanks,

Doug Davis

doug davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You could try removing the heater blower assembly and seeing if there is a pile of leaves and such inside that area. It's fairly easy to do this, just pull out the battery and it's right there.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 05:34 AM   #3
doug davis
1997 TJ Wrangler 

t
doug davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.