Heater core walk through. Pictures Inside! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater core walk through. Pictures Inside!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille

Unread 01-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #16
volsfan4life252

I need some help!!! I can't get my heater box out. My dash is completly out, but i can't figure out how to get out the heater box. i see the bolts and nuts sticking through the engine side of the firewall, but when i turn the nuts, the bolts spin too! I can't even see, little on get to the bolt heads on the other side to grab them.......any advice???

volsfan4life252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #17
Ron McIsaac

They are studs (4ea) so doesn't matter if they both turn
Removed mine yesterday (97 TJ) without removing the steering wheel & complete dash panel.
Ron McIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
volsfan4life252

Stud meaning threaded on both ends with a nut on both ends??? That explains why when i turn the nut, the bolt turns too, but i can't get the nuts off!!! What is the trick for them???
volsfan4life252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #19
Ron McIsaac

No nut on orher end
Stud has fine thread on the firewall side ( where you can see inside engine compartment) and there is a course thread on the other end which screws into the plastic plenum these two threads are seperated by a hexagon fixed washer which seats against the plastic.
So if nut & stud are turning together it should come out with no problem
Could send a picture if you want ( just give me an e-mail address, as i seem to be unable to attach files over the allowed limit of 109K ( or somthing in that range)
Ron McIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #20
quigtj
Watch the playoffs!

Heater Box

I seem to have found the end of the instructions...FSM is on the way...in the mean time, I'm at the point (I think) where I need to get the heater box out. Just want to make sure I have the correct bolts behind the firewall before I go taking them out...I don't mind spending hours ripping out my dash, but I'm not a mechanic and am not as comfortable taking out random nuts under the hood...Let me know...THANKS!!

BTW, Thanks to scorpionkill for this write-up!
Unread 02-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #21
Scott00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

wow, if that doesn't look like a huge PITA. Easy to see why having a shop replace it is so expensive!
Unread 02-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #22
FL 4.0L

I haven't seen this job turn out to be easy in any vehicle. This part is so close to the firewall that I can't understand why there couldn't be a better design.
Unread 02-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #23
quigtj
Watch the playoffs!

It's definitely long, but I haven't found it all that troublesome other than not being sure which nuts to take out to get the heater box off...just long.

I'm learning a lot, that's for sure...
Unread 02-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #24
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is my fix...
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #25
quigtj
Watch the playoffs!

Anyone?

Can anyone comment on my last post (quoted below)? I'm ready to go, but without the FSM or confirmation from one of you experienced guys, I've got to wait.

THANKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigleytj
I seem to have found the end of the instructions...FSM is on the way...in the mean time, I'm at the point (I think) where I need to get the heater box out. Just want to make sure I have the correct bolts behind the firewall before I go taking them out...I don't mind spending hours ripping out my dash, but I'm not a mechanic and am not as comfortable taking out random nuts under the hood...Let me know...THANKS!!

Unread 02-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #26
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari
Here is my fix...
Dosen't seem to be nearly enough in -20 thou. Stock heater can make the (front part of) cabin unbearably hot even in that temp.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #27
quigtj
Watch the playoffs!

One more try

Ok, one more try on getting someone to take a look at the pictures and confirm the nuts are the right ones to take out to remove the heater box...

Much appreciation!!

Quote:

Unread 02-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #28
quigtj
Watch the playoffs!

Last time I'll ask...

Are these the right nuts to pull off to get the heater box out?

Thanks and Happy Presidents' Day

Quote:

Last edited by quigtj; 02-19-2007 at 07:06 PM..
quigtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #29
quigtj
Watch the playoffs!

Update: Found one more behind the battery thanks to someone from one of the google groups. Also found a mount inside the cab near the fuses. The guys says there's one more somewhere??? Anyone care to let me in on the secret? The new core came today, I'm chomping at the bit!!!
Unread 02-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #30
Curly

Holy Crap!!! And to think I was bitcching the whole 35 minutes it took me to do mine on my CJ7.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater core , replacement

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.