Heater core hoses leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater core hoses leaking

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIncome tax season is upon us. We got what u need

Unread 11-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Heater core hoses leaking

According to the shop I dropped my jeep off at, my heater core hoses are leaking. They quoted me at just under $150. This smells fishy.

I won't be able to replace these for another two or three weeks, but it is a slow leak at the moment, been leaking for about two weeks.

What do y'all think? Too expensive? Can't wait that long? I know I could do it myself I just don't have the tools/space/time at school.

Leffnasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

considering parts and labor, probably a fair cost. is it difficult? no, but if you don't have the space or time to do it then what else are your options? I could easily see quoting an hour of labor and $50-60 worth of parts and fluids
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's quite literally less than a 10 minute job and can be done while in the take out line at your local McDonald's.

It will probably take longer for me to write... yup, there it is, done.

All kidding aside, go grab the hoses, a screwdriver, a pair of channel locks, and a 50/50 mix of coolant and do it in the parking lot of the place you just bought those things.

Good Luck.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great, I'll give them a call. Autozone parking lot will have a new stain once I look up some writeups.

Thanks y'all

Wow, just watched a 10 minute video while doing some homework at the same time. You weren't kidding, I could change those hoses in 5 minutes. $150 is insane. Once again thanks
Unread 11-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If there is any incline where you do it park nose down, it will reduce the spillage. Do one hose at a time and it shouldn't spill very much. Top her off and then run her up to temp when you are done to make sure nothing is leaking before you leave.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Know ahead of time that the two heater hoses have two different diameters. I forget what they are but you will probably be able to read the diameters on the hoses. They were still legible on mine the last time I noticed.

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Know ahead of time that the two heater hoses have two different diameters. I forget what they are but you will probably be able to read the diameters on the hoses. They were still legible on mine the last time I noticed.
Just did mine a couple weeks back. 11/16th's and 5/8th's about $25 for the hose and about 10 minutes to swap them out.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What I want to know is what genius engineer decided the two hoses should have a 1/16" diameter difference. I'm sure there's some hypothetical advantage having something to do with water velocity but sheesh.

Unread 11-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What I want to know is what genius engineer decided the two hoses should have a 1/16" diameter difference. I'm sure there's some hypothetical advantage having something to do with water velocity but sheesh.
Really
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Research discovered the engineer had some excess Cray supercomputer time available so he cranked up a computational fluid dynamics program and he discovered there was a slightly reduced coolant turbulence benefit to that 1/16" diameter difference that occurs when the tide is at low ebb and Jupiter is aligned with Mars.

Unread 11-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Be carefull with the elbow nipple from the water pump. Very easy to rust out and can be fragile.

If it breaks, cracks, or twists, you want make it home.
Unread 11-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #12
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips. Should I replace the clamps with worm drive hose clamps or leave the stock ones?
Unread 11-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffnasty View Post
Should I replace the clamps with worm drive hose clamps or leave the stock ones?
Reuse the OE constant tension clamps which self-adjust their tension based on the temperature. They are not as likely to cause a leak as worm drive hose clamps are.

Unread 11-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #14
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Research discovered the engineer had some excess Cray supercomputer time available so he cranked up a computational fluid dynamics program and he discovered there was a slightly reduced coolant turbulence benefit to that 1/16" diameter difference that occurs when the tide is at low ebb and Jupiter is aligned with Mars.
That and the fact they didn't want the hoses (direction of flow)mixed up.
Unread 11-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #15
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not saying they can't be bad but a leaking heater hose is very rare on a TJ. I get jeeps in my shop with high mileages and the original hoses. The upper and lower hoses seem to fail more often than the heater hoses.
chris142 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.