Heater blows smoke? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heater blows smoke?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
daryl50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Heater blows smoke?

I recently bought a 2005 Rubicon with 70k on it. Now that it has cooled down outside, I've noticed that when first turning the heat on or whenever changing the air temp dial from cool to warm or vice versa, smoke blows out of my vents and to me it smells like burning radiator fluid. This only last for about 30 seconds, or occasionally a little longer. I can't find any leaking radiator fluid and there are no leaks on the ground. Has anyone seen this before or know what the problem is?

daryl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds very much like you have a heater core leak, the a/f sits in the fins of the heater core until you turn on the fan, then it blows out in an extremely fine mist. Antifreeze will stick to your windshield. If you drag your finger across the windshield, you will leave behind an oily looking streak if it is antifreeze there. You can confirm a leak by, blocking or joining the lines going into the heater core at the firewall. If after a couple of days the "smoking" disappears, but returns after reconnecting the hoses, you have definitely got a heater core leak.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.