Heated seats in a TJ 30+ pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heated seats in a TJ 30+ pics

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Heated seats in a TJ 30+ pics

Our winters in PA get pretty cold so I decided to install heated seats in my 03 TJ Sahara. I'll try and be discriptive where I can. Hope you like and don't flame me for heated seats in a jeep!

I've been looking for heated seats since October and finally found a great deal on a pair 3 months later. I found these on ebay, I got the pair for $130. New they're $160 a piece!! Here's the link to them.Seat Heaters for Cars and Trucks from HeatedSeatKits.com

Time for install: 4-5 hours
I started with the switches for both driver and passenger. I'm installing them in the console where the air bag switch would be. I traced out the pattern and cut them out with a rotozip and used an exact-o-knife to clean up the holes.
Tools you'll need:
rotozip or dremel
knife
tape measure
pensil
glue

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I used some glue to keep the switches from moving around and to keep them nice and straight.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Next I took the driver and passenger seat out of the Jeep to remove the upholstery. Some say you can leave them in the Jeep but really it's much easier just to take them out. Now I've never done anything involving upholstery so I was a little wary but it went smoothly
Tools you'll need:
Side cutting pliers~dikes
zip ties 6" long
flat blade screw driver

Start with the bottom front and unhook the center tab and pull up the front corners.
[IMG][/IMG]
On the underside there's two long plastic hooks that you'll have to unsnap to pull the fabric back all the way.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Then pull up the front and on each side you'll have 4 sets of ?hog hooks? running the lenght of the seat for a total of 8. Use the side pliers and cut these round hooks and pull up the seat cover as you go.
Now take the zip ties and install them where the round hooks where. They're going to be holding the fabric down once you're done.
Install the heating pads as per instructions. Install the sticky side down and pull the wire out the back towards the center console.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
zip ties installed thru the metal rods that run the length of the seat.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
cut the zip ties and then rotate the zip tie end so the pointy side is down into the seat.
[IMG][/IMG]
Reinstall the fabric over the seat in the order you took it off. It's not hard at all the pull it back over everything.
Then zip tie the wires to the seat so they don't get caught when moving the seat
[IMG][/IMG]

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Kip03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Next is the top.
Start with the bottom, there's 3 plastic snaps that hold my fabric together Under this flap. I used a small flat blade to get it started.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Once you get those unsnapped begin to pull up the fabric along the front and back. You don't need to pull the fabric all the way off only about a foot up. There's 2 metal rods that are held on by clips that need to be cut. Cut these.
[IMG][/IMG]
Install the heated pad sticky side down. I did my best to get the top of the heating pad lined up with the top seam of the seat. Once you have the pad stuck down on the seat route the power cord where the bottom power cord is. Use zip ties and reinstall the metal rods.
*Make sure the metal rods are properly inserted into their holes at the top of the seat. When you have the fabric loose you can feel the holes.
[IMG][/IMG]
Tighten the zip ties, cut the excess off and point the sharp part down into the seat.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Pull the seat cover back down and snap those 3 plastic pieces back together and you're done! Reinstall the seats and make sure noting catches. Next is running the power lines from the switches to the seats.

...I'll have to do that another time I'll keep this thread updated. Hope this helps anyone that needs it!
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Dash
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice write up.
Dash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
iceman8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, dude...nice! I think I need that too.
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any pics of the wiring you did?
SaxManClay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I want to do this, this winter.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
MXCarson92
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice writeup! Bookmarked this one, I might have to do this. Commuting to college in the winter in Maine would be a lot nicer with some heated seats.

2003 Chevy 2500HD | 6.0 w/ 4.10s | Keys | H2 Wheels/315 BFG's
98 TJ SE | 3.75" Rough Country | 33x12.5x15 DC Mud Country | Cobra 19DX/Firestik 4' | IPF X4 | Genright Steering Box Skid - SOLD

ΦΚΣ
My Build
MXCarson92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That is nice... except that it's like 95 degrees today.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
NHEric
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely done. I'm putting the TJ away for the winter this year, but I'm thinking the Dodge could use heated seats.
NHEric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Very nice, love the switches. Never gets cold enough for me to worry about them, but i can still be jealous of your luxurious seats.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxManClay View Post
Any pics of the wiring you did?
the kit comes with all the wiring. It's in two seperate bundles that are all plug n play. All you have to tap into is the cigarette lighter power and dash light power to light them up. I'll take it apart for pics if you want.
Unread 08-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
SeeWhy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Holy crap I've got to do this!!! Even though most people in Arizona wouldn't require something like this, after having it in our other car, I miss it when I don't have it....I'm all for comfort
SeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up some seat heaters a while back but have not put them in yet. They are not specific for Jeep, so I doubt they are plug and play like you mentioned. I need to look and see, but my memory is I will have to splice into somewhere or run back to fuse block. Any tips on the wiring would be appreciated. Where is the dash light wire you used Kip?
WahooCreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
Madmanmiller802
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a set of ebay 4 pads two seats 88 bucks. I installed the driver seat pads today. I am going to run the switch next to the e brake like this guy. I also am looking into getting a wireless remote switch to heat them up before I go to school. I found one for 18 bucks. If it doesn't show up under the tree this year i will order it and let everyone know how it goes.
Unread 12-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great post! Here is a link to my post asking for advise

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he...ption-1130420/
SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.