Heat/AC doesnt blow out dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Heat/AC doesnt blow out dash

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 06-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
BM20
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Heat/AC doesnt blow out dash

This is on an 02 TJ not my 03 if that makes a difference.
The Heat/AC doesn't blow out of the dash vents. It will blow out just the defrost vents, just out the floor vents, or will blow out both the defrost and floor vents together. The only part that doesn't work is the dash vents.

Here's what I've checked:
1-The knob isn't cracked. It works everything else and I pulled it off to check it. Still good.
2-The switch unit behind the knob is good. I swapped it out for one in my 03 and same result. Colored vacuum lines are all connected behind dash.
3-The vacuum hose on the intake is connected and the rubber boot is still good. The "t" connections under the hood seem to all be connected still.
4-The vacuum hose under the battery tray is connected and the rubber boot is still good. When I pulled the hose off, it sounded like it released air from the vacuum reservoir (or sucked into the system, just going by sound not airflow), I would assume that the system is holding the vacuum then. The colored hoses connected to the switch behind the knob do the same.
5-The arm on the actuator behind the steering wheel operates when the knob is turned and rotates. I doesn't appear broken or loose.

I'm going crazy trying to figure it out. Every other thread I've seen fixed the problem with the above steps but not so much with mine. Any other ideas?

On a separate note, I went to the dealership to get a quote on new blower motor resistors for my 03, this 02, and an 05 cherokee. The parts guy said $37 for the 05. $25 for the both 03 and 02, but for the 02 he said the whole blower motor had to be changed with it for $195. Why is that? I found all 3 resistors online for $40 shipped from RockAuto but why would the blower motor have to be changed with it on the 02? They just went by the computer, not looking at the jeep. I don't get it.

RUBICON Tomb Raider #953
With a Few Extras...
BM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are the actuators for your blend doors moving when you select different positions? How about the blend doors themselves?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
BM20
2003 TJ Wrangler 

the actuator for the panel/defrost lever moves when I move the switch. the other actuators i can't see but they shouldn't have any effect on the dash(panel) vents. the blend doors i cant see, but would assume its not moving since the air wont flow.
RUBICON Tomb Raider #953
With a Few Extras...
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The three dash pot actuators are not all on the same side down by your right foot? You may have to get a mirror and a flashlight?
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
BM20
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There is one on the drivers side that I can see the arm moving. It has a blue and yellow vacuum line going to it and positioned up and down. there is one in the center of the dash at the bottom behind the airbag switch. i think that one has a red and brown line, but i cant see the arm part only the "top" part (its laying sideways). the third one i found is on the passenger side. it has a green line but i can only see the top part with the vacuum line attached to it through the glove box, the other side is all the way to the right, hidden(again laying sideways).
RUBICON Tomb Raider #953
With a Few Extras...
Unread 06-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
joey79cj5

sometimes the blend door breaks loose from the rod inside itself and will not move the door even if the actuator works.take it out and repair or try to run a wood screw in it to hold it together. i have only been told that the second trick will work.
joey79cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
BM20
2003 TJ Wrangler 

how do you go about taking it out?? i am 6'4, space is real tight working in there
RUBICON Tomb Raider #953
With a Few Extras...
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pulling a blend door will require dash removal and disassembly of a/c box and if you have to do that the pull the seats, it frees up lots of elbow space.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.