headrests for the back seat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > headrests for the back seat

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

headrests for the back seat

My son is getting close to outgrowing his full booster seat, and I'd like some headrest in the back. My wife also doesn't like riding back there because of the no headrest deal.

I've seen the $expensive$ Mastercraft back seat with headrest option, but what do you think of these two ideas...

1) What if I just took out the folding rear seat and added a single bucket seat? I imagine it would have to be bolted just about flat to the floor or it would be too high. Are there any mounting kits like this or would I have to fab something up?

I've thought about welding on some sort of bracket to the rear seat that could hold a stock headrest (from any old car at the junkyard), but I was concerned how to go about this since I don't weld and then how easy would it be to remove when I need to tumble the rear seat. Then it hit me...

2) What do you think of bolting in a bar across the back top of the seat to each corner of the roll cage? Like right behind the seat, but right up at the top edge. It would have headrests (or cushions) then directly mounted to it, and I could just do a quick unbolt when I needed to tumble the seat and have the full back open for gear. It would make a great place to lash against when carrying a hi-lift or whatever, and would be easy for this non-welder to make. Any safety concerns you can think of?

Last edited by ImaginaryFriend; 02-09-2007 at 07:07 PM..
ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, funny you should mention this. I was just at the salvage yard today looking for headrests. I did find some, but the guy wanted a bit too much. I found a set on eBay, but the auction ended before I could get them.

Personally, I'm going to retro-fit to the existing bench. From looking at the frame, I'm going to have some brackets welded/fabbed up. I would like to get the headrests with the guides also, that would save having to fab the guides. It should be fairly simple. I grabbed the headrest out of my wifes 2002 Taurus and something like that would be perfect.

I have 2 boys (5 & 6) and the seatbelt hits their shoulder perfect without boosters. Actually, the 5 year old would be okay without the headrest at his size, but the 6 year old is a little taller.

As far as the seperate mount idea, I would rather have something that was a part of the seat. Even though that means the fold and tumble would be a little more work. For me though, the seat is usually either in or out.

Be sure to post if you follow through with this.
Unread 02-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
AZG23

this is what I did....

I do like the idea of fabbing up head rests into the stock seats frame...

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

BTW, this is what the seat frame looks like:

Unread 02-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman
BTW, this is what the seat frame looks like:

Thank you. I haven't even looked to see how the cover zips off, or what the frame looks like.

It appears there is very little in the way of a frame. Maybe a flat bar across the top back would make a good start for a bracket mount.
ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, I think a flat bar across and possibly 2 vertical pieces on each side. I don't think it has to be over-engineered or anything. I have booster seats like AZG23 and those headrests are pretty flimsy, yet we trust them

As for the guides, if I can't get them with the headrest, I think some tubes with nylon bushings of some sort would work.

EDIT: I've even thought about just hard-mounting the headrests without guides. The drawbacks would be possibly no fold and tumble. Also, it would have to be done with the headrest guides already through the cover - otherwise you wouldn't be able to get the cover back on.

EDIT 2: Unless maybe you had a zipper installed in the top of the seat cover???
Unread 05-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I finished the headrest mod, just updating the threads where it was discussed: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/rear-seat-headrest-mod-write-up-418613/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.