Headliner in a Hardtop? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Headliner in a Hardtop?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 01-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
supercub43

Headliner in a Hardtop?

Are their any advantages to having a hardtop with a headliner vx one that doesn't?? Do the headliners maker it more quiet??
Thanks
Brian

supercub43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
superubicon
2006 KJ Liberty 

My dad had an old style bronco and he put a headliner in it and it did quiet the ride. hth
If you look in the back of JP Magazine there is a guy that makes them for Jeeps. hth
superubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superubicon
My dad had an old style bronco and he put a headliner in it and it did quiet the ride. hth
If you look in the back of JP Magazine there is a guy that makes them for Jeeps. hth
and i'd bet that guy is Tim Taylor of californiatops.com, who is a total spaz. ( http://www.californiatops.com/liner_hard.html )

I'd avoid him at all costs. Sorry for linking to JU mods, but it's a good example (and not even the one i was thinking of):

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ad.php?t=98892

In all honesty, it's not that hard to do yourself, it's all flat surfaces. I used velcro tape and 800g thinsulate.

lj
Unread 01-16-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
kwikshift
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking of different ideas for this. Both for sound and heat insulation. I was thinking about the idea of doing some sort of spray in liner. I have been kinda looking around a little but there is so much other work needing to be done on the jeep that it hasn't been a huge focus.

I was thinking of dynaspray by the makers of dynamat. It is both a sound and heat insulator so you can keep your heat in during the winter months much better and you can paint over it. It is my current working idea but I doubt I will get to it any time really soon. Who knows, just kicking around ideas for now.
Unread 01-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
booboodmb
2014 JK Wrangler 

It's a good idea, but is it spray flexible? Even though the top is pretty solid, I would hope that when it flexes that the liner wouldn't crack and start chiping on you. Still a good idea to keep in mind.
booboodmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Chris_Ryan
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper
I'd avoid him at all costs. Sorry for linking to JU mods, but it's a good example (and not even the one i was thinking of):

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ad.php?t=98892
All I can say is WOW.

IIRC from Business Law, They would have to take it back due to a duty of care or something of that nature... it just sucks that guy would have to pony up for a lawyer to get his $$$ back...

EC4WDA Region D Schedule 2008
- Who says there is nowhere to run in New England and New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
Chris_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
thesherm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i made a headliner and it looks great and keeps it quieter and warmer. all you need is 1/2 inch foam, fabric and spray adhesive. just make sure it is at least 50 degrees or the adhesive may not work right.
Unfortunately you are one of those poor misguided folks that believes leaving the gear shift lever in one slot or another is an indication of control.

Come go for a ride and I'll be glad to demonstrate the difference between what you perceive incorrectly as "control" and what control actually is.

Pick a different reason because that one is both lame and stupid to perpetuate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Pardon me for damaging your precious reputation. It's not that I disagree, that would be a difference of opinion. This isn't subjective, it's objective, you are just wrong. If you make that statement, you are misguided. It is that simple.
thesherm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
AZG23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesherm
i made a headliner and it looks great and keeps it quieter and warmer. all you need is 1/2 inch foam, fabric and spray adhesive. just make sure it is at least 50 degrees or the adhesive may not work right.
NO adhesive works in AZ summer heat...it all lets gooooooo

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't mind the noise or heat insulation, but now that winters here, I found a reason to do something. The ice/snow on the roof will manage to condensate onto the ceiling of the hard top, and after driving around long enough for the heater to melt it, I'm driving around in the rain, lol.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone other than California Tops even sell headliners for TJs?

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2007, 02:59 AM   #11
finwrangler

I had exactly same problem; driving in rain... got to do something about roof interior. I saw nice CJ on weekend trails, and it had original headliner that looked nice. wonder if those are available as NOS or similar?
finwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #12
hockey369
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I found a place that sells them. They seem reliable, i sent them an email and the responded pretty quickly, but im yet to buy anything do to not having money. http://coloradojeepman.com/ It seems pretty legit and theres a warrentee on it
01 TJ Sahara, RE BB w/ Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, 33x12.5x15 Pro Comp Mud Terrains on Soft 8s, Rampage Frameless Top, A to Z Rocker Guards, JKS Quicker Disconnects, KC Windshield Long Range Lights, UCF Engine Skid, UCF UHC Transmission Skid
My other toys:
04 Harley V-Rod
99 Yamaha GP1200 (For Sale)
hockey369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #13
mcneil141

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey369
I found a place that sells them. They seem reliable, i sent them an email and the responded pretty quickly, but im yet to buy anything do to not having money. http://coloradojeepman.com/ It seems pretty legit and theres a warrentee on it

Does anyone notice that it says "Insultation Kit for Jeep Tops"? Freudian slip?
mcneil141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
hockey369
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yea i noticed that the first time i was on the site and pointed it out to them in the email i sent 2 weeks ago...im surprised they didnt fix it yet
01 TJ Sahara, RE BB w/ Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, 33x12.5x15 Pro Comp Mud Terrains on Soft 8s, Rampage Frameless Top, A to Z Rocker Guards, JKS Quicker Disconnects, KC Windshield Long Range Lights, UCF Engine Skid, UCF UHC Transmission Skid
My other toys:
04 Harley V-Rod
99 Yamaha GP1200 (For Sale)
hockey369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
AZG23

$200....?? LOL...

nooooo thank you.....

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.