Headlights/Turn Signal turn on Wipers...HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlights/Turn Signal turn on Wipers...HELP!

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
r3b0w
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Headlights/Turn Signal turn on Wipers...HELP!

Hey everyone,

I just recently bought a 2001 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) and have had no previous experience with Jeeps, but am willing to fix this problem myself (if possible)...

Basically, my windshield wipers come on at random times (sometimes even constantly) when my headlights are turned on and/or I use my turn signals...if anyone knows what could be the problem here, please let me know!

Thank you,

R3B0W

Last edited by r3b0w; 05-19-2010 at 02:23 PM..
r3b0w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
r3b0w
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking it's an electrical problem, or maybe there are a few crossed wires...I don't know...
Unread 05-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well the lights are on the left stalk and the wipers on the right stalk. When you actually open the steering column and take it apart the switch assemblies separate and have two different harnesses so your guess of short seems right. Maybe open the steering column and unscrew the switch assemblies and hold them so they are not in contact with each other in anyway but are still connected to the wiring harnesses. Turn things on and see if it happens then. If it doesn't the short is there in the steering column somewhere where the assemblies fit together. If it still happens the short is somewhere behind the dash where the wire harnesses come together.
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Clean up the ground point just behind the left headlamp on the rear of the grill and your problem will vanish. You may also find before you do that, that the horn triggers the wiper. They all share a common ground with the windscreen washer pump. The ground is bad and the current is flowing the wrong way through the washer pump (which is why it doesn't spray water) and going to the wiper multifunction switch where it is triggering the wiper.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would say to check the ground for the headlight as well. At school we took off the ground attached to the headlight on a Ford Fusion and when the lights were turned on washer fluid would come out.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
r3b0w
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, I found the ground wire (behind my left headlight) and you were right about my horn triggering the wipers as well...how would you suggest that I clean the ground? Do I need to clean it with something acidic (Baking Soda mixture or Coke? Or do I need a special type of cleaner?...I also have engine degreaser I was thinking about using...but the connection looks pretty clean

I also took apart my steering column and checked out the wires in there, but nothing looked out of the ordinary, besides the two stalks' wiring coming together behind the column and being taped together...

I also noticed a random metal ribbon with a washer attached to the end that is not attached to anything...there's one dangling behind the motor, and one under the steering column that isn't attached...I don't know if this is a ground as well and may need to be attached to something...

Thank you for your responses and hopefully I can figure this annoying problem out!
Unread 05-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I'd probably use a small wire brush to clean the terminals at the ground. It's possible your terminals are all OK as they are feeding through the wiper circuit and it is the screw not grounding on the body. A new screw might do the trick, even one very slightly thicker, as it might cut into the sheet metal a touch to find a better ground.

The only common point the wiper shares with the circuits that affect it is at that ground so don't worry about the wiring behind the dash.

The ground strap dangling behind the motor is probably the hood ground.

The one behind the steering column is the ground strap for the stock radio which bolts to the case. Most aftermarket radios have a ground wire to the connector so the ground strap often gets left to just dangle behind the dash. Can't find a picture to show the location of that one.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Unread 05-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
r3b0w
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

Thank you Jonny Jeep for the detailed explanation, it worked perfectly! I now have ZERO problems with my horn/lights/turn signals triggering my wipers...weird how something so simple can affect so much!
Unread 06-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
r3b0w
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Okay...so apparently I haven't fixed the problem...it rained the other day, and I tried using my wipers, but they wouldn't work...come to find out, I never actually re-connected the harness of the right stalk when I was looking through the steering column...

So I reconnected it, and I'm back to the same old problem..it's sooooo annoying...I even connected the ground wire to another screw, but no luck...

Is there a special/certain way to connect a ground wire to the car's body? Or any other ideas to help solve this problem?

Thank you for your guys' time,
R3B0W
Unread 06-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you are connecting the wire that is also taped to the left headlight harness? I know in my case, after I updated to HID lights, since I wasnt using that headlight harness anymore, I disconnected the ground from the grill so that I could tape up the wire and hide it. I just retapped the grill and screwed in the ground again.
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
r3b0w
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Right now, my ground wire is connected to the horizontal steel bar (directly behind the lights) running parallel to my bumper, but that bar is coated in a thick black paint...maybe the paint is interfering with the metal on metal connection? Or do you recommend that I connect it to my grill?

Thanks
Unread 06-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
r3b0w
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Could it possibly be anything to do with any terminals on the battery??
Unread 06-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #13
r3b0w
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I reconnected my ground wire to another point under the hood, and the same problem is still happening...I've taken out the fuse for the Front Wipers for now, until I can figure something out...
Unread 06-06-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm certain that's it's that ground location causing the problem. Any paint or rust at the ground point will cause issues.

Instead of removing the fuse leaving you without wipers unplug the wiper washer motor connector instead. That will should the wipers working normally but without the washer. With the washer pump disconnected it should prevent the other circuits triggering the wipers. It would be safer to drive like that till the ground issue can be resolved.

Unread 06-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
r3b0w
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've posted some pictures of my wires/ground connections from under my hood...I found another ground connection that contains two black wires (similar to the ground wire behind my driver's side headlight)...I posted a picture of that too...but it has a loose ribbon ground coming from that same screw...

Hopefully this helps out...I'm in the process of finding a new screw (bigger in diameter) to put into the old Ground spot...

LeftHeadlightGround on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

FireWallGround on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.