Headlights not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlights not working

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 12-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Sahara_n_KY

Headlights not working

This morning, my headlights would not come on. The parking lights came on just fine, but the headlights would not shine. I turned on my foglights to get me to work, then about a mile from home, the headlights came on. They worked fine all the way to work and are working now. They have done this one other time since I've had the Jeep, but they came on sooner the last time. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Where should I look to troubleshoot? Is this a switch issue? It was PFC this morning in KY (about 14 degrees).

Thanks in advance folks...

Soft-Top
Warn MX6000 w/A-Z Mounting Plate
Roady XT w/XM
Sahara_n_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's very likely caused by nothing more than the headlight switch. I think your '98 uses the same pull-out knob my '97 uses and if so, it's an extremely easy job to swap the switch out. It just plugs in and getting to it and replacing it is far easier than it looks. Autozone etc. should be able to get the switch to you pretty quickly. In fact, the switch I bought from Autozone was the exact same OE switch that it replaced, down to the initials hand-written on its' inspection sicker.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
Sahara_n_KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
That's very likely caused by nothing more than the headlight switch. I think your '98 uses the same pull-out knob my '97 uses and if so, it's an extremely easy job to swap the switch out. It just plugs in and getting to it and replacing it is far easier than it looks. Autozone etc. should be able to get the switch to you pretty quickly. In fact, the switch I bought from Autozone was the exact same OE switch that it replaced, down to the initials hand-written on its' inspection sicker.
Jerry--
I do have the pull out knob evidently like your '97. What type of failure were you having? I'll head over the parts store this evening and pick one up. I can't imagine it to be expensive, $10-$15??

I appreciate the quick reply.

DF
Soft-Top
Roady XT w/XM
Unread 12-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Same problem as you, my headlights stopped working. It was more like $30-something as I recall but it's been a few years. Go on Autozone's website to see for sure. Your local Autozone store will have to order it, you might as well order it online.

Here... http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...adlight+Switch

Unread 12-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Sahara_n_KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Same problem as you, my headlights stopped working. It was more like $30-something as I recall but it's been a few years. Go on Autozone's website to see for sure. Your local Autozone store will have to order it, you might as well order it online.

Here... http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...adlight+Switch
We don't have an Autozone here locally, but I did see that one online. Advance Auto (we have one locally) has then listed at $51.48 online. Quadratech shows it at 34.99.

Thanks again Jerry! I'll head over to Advance Auto and see them in person after work. Surely not $51.48 for a switch. Otherwise, we'll get 'er online.
Soft-Top
Roady XT w/XM
Unread 12-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
somaj

I have had the same problem. I would be driving along at night and the headlights would shut off. I could flick the brights on and then the headlights would come back on. I replaced the switch but it happened again a few months after. I replaced the wiring and have not had it happen since.
Unread 12-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
Sahara_n_KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by somaj
I have had the same problem. I would be driving along at night and the headlights would shut off. I could flick the brights on and then the headlights would come back on. I replaced the switch but it happened again a few months after. I replaced the wiring and have not had it happen since.
Fortunately mine doesn't appear to be related to the dimmer or wiring to the dimmer. I did try to see if that might bring on my lights, but it did not. What kinda job was it to replace the wiring? What wiring exactly had to be replaced? Cost?

DF
Soft-Top
Roady XT w/XM
Unread 12-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
twistedLV

I just replaced mine because of the same symptom. It was like $30 from Napa. Go to their website to look up the number. They carry Standard ignition in stock, and they're much more expensive. The one they ordered was an Echlin, and too 1 day to get.
Oh yeah, no more lighting issues.
Unread 12-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd still bet $$$ that it's nothing more than the switch itself. Which is also a far easier first-step to take than replacing any wiring would be.

Unread 12-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
Sahara_n_KY

Just got back from Advance Auto. $51 bucks and can have it tomorrow. I guess I'll order one online from Quadratech.
Soft-Top
Roady XT w/XM
Unread 12-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd order it from Autozone, their shipping and handling charges won't be outrageous like Quadratec's shipping and handling charges usually are. Plus Autozone is cheaper. I'm no longer much of a fan of Quadratec due to their pricing policy and shipping/handling charges.

Unread 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
Nazgasam

I'm having the same issue. I replaced lights, multifunctional switch, pull knob and fuse. Still no headlights high or low beams.
Nazgasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
kb9lsv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mine done that to me twice about 6 months ago, ordered new switch from rockauto.com. Got it and didn't feel like putting it in since I have my fog lights to fall back on when it does go out. Since I have the new one in the box it hasn't given me any problems.
kb9lsv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.