headlights acting weird - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > headlights acting weird

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 02-25-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
johnWJ

2014 JK Wrangler 

headlights acting weird

So I get in my jeep tonight to head home from work and I put on my right turn signal and it is acting kind of weird. It isn't blinking as brightly as it usually does and the ticking noise wasn't as loud. I didn't think much of it, but when Igot on my road, I turned my fog lights on for the hell of it. When I did, the light for my brights came on on the dash and the right turn signal light on the dash dimmed a little.

I pulled into my driveway to inspect it, and the front right turn signal blinks, but not as brightly. The drivers side headlight isn't shining as bright as the other. And when I turn on the fogs, they come on, and the one light gets even dimmer. ALso, when the headlights are on, the fogs are also on dimly, even though the switch isn't turned on.

Everything was fine last night. The only change has been that I took my winch off today. Any ideas, this is really bugging me.

Unread 02-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Taking your winch off may have caused you to lose a ground-wire connection somewhere.. These are the same symptoms my old 2500HD were giving me and it was a simple ground-wire that had giggled lose from it's connection in the engine bay..... Just gotta find out which one. When you do, it is a simple and easy fix...
Unread 02-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
johnWJ

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepX06
Taking your winch off may have caused you to lose a ground-wire connection somewhere.. These are the same symptoms my old 2500HD were giving me and it was a simple ground-wire that had giggled lose from it's connection in the engine bay..... Just gotta find out which one. When you do, it is a simple and easy fix...

I grounded the winch motor to the ground for the headlights. I had to unscrew that screw to get the motor ground back on. That was on the passanger side headlight.
Unread 02-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
johnWJ

2014 JK Wrangler 

OK from now on, I'm listening to JF guys. I went out and checked the wire I had loosned the nut on earlier, it was loose. Tightened it up and it works fine now. THanks.
Unread 02-25-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sahara
I grounded the winch motor to the ground for the headlights. I had to unscrew that screw to get the motor ground back on. That was on the passanger side headlight.
For anyone connecting a winch, never...ever... ground a winch like was done here. A winch can easily draw over 400 amps and the small gauge connections between the tub/chassis and the battery cannot support a load anywhere near that. A good strong winch pull can melt multiple ground connections as the winch searches for a good high-current connection to the negative battery post.

As winch installation instructions direct, always (always always!) connect both winch power leads directly to the battery!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2006, 06:34 AM   #6
James04TJ

I had the same problem a while ago. The problem is always a ground issue. Normally pulling each headlight ground (screw holding a wire and lug just up and out from each headlight), cleaning it with some contact cleaner, adding some dialectric grease, and tightening it back up will fix the problem.
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
For anyone connecting a winch, never...ever... ground a winch like was done here. A winch can easily draw over 400 amps and the small gauge connections between the tub/chassis and the battery cannot support a load anywhere near that. A good strong winch pull can melt multiple ground connections as the winch searches for a good high-current connection to the negative battery post.

As winch installation instructions direct, always (always always!) connect both winch power leads directly to the battery!
x2 what is weird is an audio amp (some can pull as much if not more then a winch) need a ground a max of 3 feet never has made sence to me

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
johnWJ

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford

Damn...good thing I snapped a bolt on the install and never acutally had to use it. :

I guess I learned my lesson on that one.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.