Headlights - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-22-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Lairbear92

Okay, so I know I will sound very dumb when I ask this, but I got my Jeep yesterday and I have no idea how to turn the headlights on. They do work, I can flash my brights and when I put my blinker they work but I have no idea how to turn them on to drive at night or early in the morning.

I have a 1998 TJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-22-2017, 07:46 PM
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the knob on the dash out.

Sent from my phone using JeepForum

Yakima Valley Mountaineers.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Freeagent27
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There should be a little knob to the left of your steering column near your left knee. Pull it out and the lights should come on. If you pull it only half way out, then only the parking lights will be illuminated

"My thoughts on yoga pants? Depends who I'm walking behind".

post #4 of 24 Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Lairbear92

Thank you!
post #5 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 03:26 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When the lights are on twisting the knob will alter the brightness of the dash and cluster lamps.
At full brightness, turn the switch a bit more and the under dash/dome/soundbar lights (where fitted) will turn on.

Sent from my D5803 using JeepForum
post #6 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 09:21 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

OP, just courious, but how old are you?

No insult or criticism intended.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #7 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 09:46 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing 22 years ago. Driving my brand-new Dakota off the lot at dusk, wanted to turn the headlights on, but couldn't figure it out. Had to consult the owner's manual. It also had the knob by your left knee, every vehicle I had driven up to that point had the lights on the turn signal stalk.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 10:01 AM
Freeagent27
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna
OP, just courious, but how old are you? No insult or criticism intended.
I was wondering the same, not to criticize, but just wondering. My now 18 yo was a little dumbfounded by the simplicity of things in the TJ as well when we 1st got it almost 2yrs ago.She was so accustomed to the modern conveniences of automatic headlights on at dusk, auto door locks, remote door locks, electric seats, etc...also with the excitement of a new to us TJ, it can be easy to overlook the obvious. As a matter of fact, she didn't realize the rear view mirror dimmed by flipping the lever on it up at night as our other cars auto dimmed. Good stuff. These little things that make us laugh at ourselves for not figuring it out. To the OP... welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new to you TJ. 🙂

post #9 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 10:10 AM
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
I did the same thing 22 years ago. Driving my brand-new Dakota off the lot at dusk, wanted to turn the headlights on, but couldn't figure it out. Had to consult the owner's manual. It also had the knob by your left knee, every vehicle I had driven up to that point had the lights on the turn signal stalk.

Wow, you young guys When I was young EVERY vehicle had the pull-knob on the dash.

Don't feel bad though... To ride-share we'd trailered my '04 Rubicon and a friends '99 off-road only TJ to an ORV park where we meet another friend with a '01 Sport. While out trail riding the '01 Sport broke down and had to be trailered home. So we loaded it on the trailer instead of my Rubicon, then I drove my truck and let my friend who owns the '99 drive my '04 following us home. About a mile or so down the road I noticed he still didn't have the headlights on, then my cell rang and he's like "uh, Where is your headlights?", He didn't realize they moved them from the pull-knob to the turn signal stalk on the second generation TJ's.

~

~ SouthernGypsy's Jeeps ~
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon 4.0L/Automatic
1983 Jeep CJ-7 Limited 4.2L/5 Speed
post #10 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
Wow, you young guys
~
I wouldn't say I'm young. I've already passed the milestone where I had to go to Walmart to buy reading glasses.
GreenliftedTJ97 likes this.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 10:37 AM
Freeagent27
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
I wouldn't say I'm young. I've already passed the milestone where I had to go to Walmart to buy reading glasses.

Lol! I wouldn't say I'm a young pup, but no old dog either. In baseball terms, I just rounded 2nd, how's that? I haven't bought the reading glasses yet, I just move the paper farther away from my face to re-focus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #12 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'll soon be 64. OK, I said it.

How bout a left hand side, drivers footwell, floor mounted hi beam switch.

Telephones with push buttons, or better yet, a rotary dial. And a phone on every other corner, in a glass closet, that you had to put money in the form of metallic coins to get it to work. And if you really wanted to talk to a real person all you had to do was dial "0" and a lady in this country that spoke English would help you in almost every situation.

Now, that was when America was Great.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #13 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 11:05 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
I'll soon be 64. OK, I said it.

How bout a left hand side, drivers footwell, floor mounted hi beam switch.

Telephones with push buttons, or better yet, a rotary dial. And a phone on every other corner, in a glass closet, that you had to put money in the form of metallic coins to get it to work. And if you really wanted to talk to a real person all you had to do was dial "0" and a lady in this country that spoke English would help you in almost every situation.

Now, that was when America was Great.
I'll give you one more on telephones (and I'm only 49 - today actually). Never had this in my house, but used to visit my grandparents in rural Wisconsin and they were on a party line. You shared the phone line with all your neighbors. Could only make or a receive a call if you nobody in the neighborhood was using the phone.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 11:09 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I'll give you one more on telephones (and I'm only 49 - today actually). Never had this in my house, but used to visit my grandparents in rural Wisconsin and they were on a party line. You shared the phone line with all your neighbors. Could only make or a receive a call if you nobody in the neighborhood was using the phone.
Happy birthday, youngster!

I forgot, party line and wife and I had one at our first place. Had to save money where ever we could. We only had one set of neighbors on it, so we always knew each other's business.

Oh, and don't forget "collect calls" and "person to person calls".

And one phone set in a wall nitch in the hallway. And had to get up to answer it, and had to get up to change one of the three tv channels on a black/white tv in a cabinet the size of a mini-cooper, sometimes having to go outside and rotate the antenna mast attached to the side of the house.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #15 of 24 Old 08-23-2017, 11:12 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
(and I'm only 49 - today actually)
Wow. I'm 44 today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.