Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Headlights

1K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  CJRoberts8812 
#1 ·
Okay, so I know I will sound very dumb when I ask this, but I got my Jeep yesterday and I have no idea how to turn the headlights on. They do work, I can flash my brights and when I put my blinker they work but I have no idea how to turn them on to drive at night or early in the morning.

I have a 1998 TJ

#5 ·
When the lights are on twisting the knob will alter the brightness of the dash and cluster lamps.
At full brightness, turn the switch a bit more and the under dash/dome/soundbar lights (where fitted) will turn on.

Sent from my D5803 using JeepForum

#7 ·
I did the same thing 22 years ago. Driving my brand-new Dakota off the lot at dusk, wanted to turn the headlights on, but couldn't figure it out. Had to consult the owner's manual. It also had the knob by your left knee, every vehicle I had driven up to that point had the lights on the turn signal stalk.

#9 ·
Wow, you young guys :smile2: When I was young EVERY vehicle had the pull-knob on the dash.

Don't feel bad though... To ride-share we'd trailered my '04 Rubicon and a friends '99 off-road only TJ to an ORV park where we meet another friend with a '01 Sport. While out trail riding the '01 Sport broke down and had to be trailered home. So we loaded it on the trailer instead of my Rubicon, then I drove my truck and let my friend who owns the '99 drive my '04 following us home. About a mile or so down the road I noticed he still didn't have the headlights on, then my cell rang and he's like "uh, Where is your headlights?", He didn't realize they moved them from the pull-knob to the turn signal stalk on the second generation TJ's.

~

#8 ·
2jhanna said:
OP, just courious, but how old are you? No insult or criticism intended.
I was wondering the same, not to criticize, but just wondering. My now 18 yo was a little dumbfounded by the simplicity of things in the TJ as well when we 1st got it almost 2yrs ago.She was so accustomed to the modern conveniences of automatic headlights on at dusk, auto door locks, remote door locks, electric seats, etc...also with the excitement of a new to us TJ, it can be easy to overlook the obvious. As a matter of fact, she didn't realize the rear view mirror dimmed by flipping the lever on it up at night as our other cars auto dimmed. Good stuff. These little things that make us laugh at ourselves for not figuring it out. To the OP... welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new to you TJ. 🙂

#12 ·
I'll soon be 64. OK, I said it.

How bout a left hand side, drivers footwell, floor mounted hi beam switch.

Telephones with push buttons, or better yet, a rotary dial. And a phone on every other corner, in a glass closet, that you had to put money in the form of metallic coins to get it to work. And if you really wanted to talk to a real person all you had to do was dial "0" and a lady in this country that spoke English would help you in almost every situation.

Now, that was when America was Great.

#13 ·
I'll give you one more on telephones (and I'm only 49 - today actually). Never had this in my house, but used to visit my grandparents in rural Wisconsin and they were on a party line. You shared the phone line with all your neighbors. Could only make or a receive a call if you nobody in the neighborhood was using the phone.

#16 ·
Happy Birthday Biff and JEK3 .
I'm only 46, and remember all that stuff too. I also remember my father's AMC Rambler with "3 on the tree". Our garage door had to be lifted by hand, I actually walked to school... both ways... no matter the weather. Bought candy by the weight at the "dime store". Listened to music on an 8-track ( always shifted in the middle of great jams too), bought a newspaper for a dime, pack of smokes for 75 cents, gasoline for under a buck, gum in baseball cards... and on it goes. Glad I grew up when I did.

#17 ·
Happy Birthday Biff and JEK3
:ditto::cheers2:Happy Birthday Gents.

OP. If you have interior lights that come on by twisting the knob but they don't come on when the doors are opened, check the fuses behind the glove box. Fitting a fuse in position 4 will make the lights work. Pulling the fuse stops the lights staying on when driving doorless.

#22 ·
You know... Im 37 and I thought man the op is really showing their age... i remember when Every car I'd ever seen had a pull knob for the headlights, and a floor mounted high beam switch. I was going to post but I didn't want to be a jerk and decided to keep my comments to myself. After seeing all the other replies I dont feel so bad.

With that said, I'll make some of the youngsters feel better. I am having the hardest time getting the xbox one going for my son.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.